Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I have responded to BMW with the following:

Dear <CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER NAME>,

First and foremost thank you very much for your reply.

Although I appreciate that BMW products comply with all global and safety security requirements and that BMW are not responsible for the criminals of this world, it does not excuse the fact that there is a serious security flaw in the cars design. For this I do hold BMW accountable, as it is your responsibility to the customer that your security does its best to “to ensure our products remain in the hands of the right owners.”
I do not categorise, creating cloned keys with 3rd party devices and alarm not sounding of as reasonable level of security.

I still have the following questions and I have CC’ed Thatcham into this email as they certified your alarms so may have answers to one of the questions.

1) Why did my car alarm not go off? One assumes that with the car being Thatcham approved that any forced entry into my vehicle should have caused the alarm to sound off.
2) The ODB port should not allow access to cut new keys without some form of two factor authentication and strong encryption requirement taking place. As with any legislation, interpretation through to its implementation and appropriate implications should be considered to protect the vehicle and its owner. I fail to see the need for any key to cut made outside of any BMW garage – please can you point me in the right direction on what part of EU legislation states this?
3) What is the Block Exemption Regulation?
4) What are BMW doing to investigate this flaw? I am concerned you have not requested any further information from me as to my specific case.

As a first time buyer of BMW I am extremely disappointed that the car was stolen without at the very least the alarm being sound. I am also extremely worried not only for my own sake but other BMW owners cars that keys can be copied with such ease.

Not only am I now deprived of a car that I invested a large amount of money into, my insurance premiums will increase dramatically. What can BMW do to restore my faith in your brand? By your response below, you have stated you are aware of these problem(s) so are you suggesting I do not buy another BMW?

I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely,
Maz

tyrer

OEM
Jun 6, 2010
Keep going mate, I had a lot of trouble with my insurance when my R32 was stolen and you seem ready to fight and not roll over which is the way to be. BMW are accountable due to having a clear fault in the mass production of their cars.

I unfortunately have been on the wrong end of 'gap' insurance and believe me if they can get away with not paying they will, regardless of the gap.

I still cannot believe the customer service from BMW that is an appalling, condescending and plain 'corporate' response.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
My insurance company came and gave me an evaluation of my stolen car yesterday. It was a pretty good offer. What he told me during the course of the meeting was very worrying however. He said currently he is making 3 visits a week for stolen BMWs and it won't be long now till the underwriters just say BMWs are just to high risk to insure and premiums go through the roof. Apparently this is a very contentious issue with big name insurers who have spent 25m on payouts to BMW owners alone, much higher than other makes of cars being stolen.

He is full aware of the security issues with BMWs as are the insurance companies. He has seen a lot of cases of them being stolen without keys. Only recently a chap bought a brand new 5 series, took it home to show his family and next morning it vanished!

This problem just isn't there with other manufacturers he went on to say. There is the odd Mercedes here and there going missing. He recommended to me that Audi is the most secure cars, hardly ever get stolen on the same scale as others especially in the same manner we are seeing with BMWs.

So from what the insurance chap told me face to face this will be my first and last BMW. I have done everything to get in touch with right people at BMW to assure me of there security and or give me some indication the problem with get fix to no avail. They lost me as a customer for a good while.

Next car - current short list is Megane RS 250 cup, Audi S4 and Audi S3.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
It does seem the case that soon insurers are going to struggle to insure BMW's, I can see one year from now, ridiculous prices. Sad really but BMW have shot themselves in the foot with the security flaws IMO.

Audi would be a good shout Maz. The RS250 Cup is meant to be an awesome bit of fun, but I think longer term the Audi would suit you. I did think about changing for an S3, but my priorities changed. Speed blue with all the toys would be my choice.

tyrer

OEM
Jun 6, 2010
Insurance have been good to you mate, infirmation like that is priceless.

All I will say on the S4 S3 is that these are 'targeted cars' for individuals. Not sure how nice your area is but just be aware.

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Audi's are just as targeted as BMW's, difference being they'll break into your house first for the keys, or car jack you in the street.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Audi's are just as targeted as BMW's, difference being they'll break into your house first for the keys, or car jack you in the street.

Are they though. I agree if it was an RS but you see quite a few S4 and S3 around....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
you're not very likely to get jacked - its still a rare crime here. I reckon the VAG group are much harder to clone keys to the immobiliser than the BMW.

So Maz - why not a TTS or a Golf R ? Looks better than the S3 which is still far to bland to look at in my view - as is the S4 to some degree.

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Are they though. I agree if it was an RS but you see quite a few S4 and S3 around....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Not as popular as an RS4 or 6 but they still get nicked. At the end of the day if you have a desirable car, it will be worth stealing. Recently we've had a lot of mini cooper S's stolen along with BMW 135's.

Just don't make it easy for them. Car jacking is on the increase, but not as bad as in some countries

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
So Maz - why not a TTS or a Golf R

I must admit these did come to mind recently for you (and then disappeared just as quick as it came....)

S3/S4 are the obvious choice but reading the write up for the new S6 didn't give it a particularly glowing report - too numb on the steering front. Only 3 stars in this weeks AE.

I hope the S4/S3 fairs better.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Golf R for me is not a drivers car and even more overpriced than S3. I dislike VW in general however the sirocco r is an option.

I went to see Audi S4 today and it's top of the list at the moment. The interior build quality is amazing and better than BMWs in terms of look inside. The problem is finding one in the right price range with Sat Nav and the sport differential.

I got a test drive booked for both mid May. I am going to check out the Megane RS 250 Cup tomorrow with my older brother.

I know the Megane won't have the build quality of VW, Audi but the reason for getting it is they are amazing cars to drive. Best chassis in hatch form going. When I test drove one last week it was so fun to drive with, really connected to the road and the chassis and diff complemented everything perfectly. My concerns with the Megane are depreciation and the interior switchgear was crap considering they are new cars. Apart from that it was brilliant and quite nice even when driving normally.

Audi TTS would be an option if I could get golf clubs in which you can't really. Also for that type of car I'd buy a Porsche Cayman tomorrow if the Mrs let me but she won't.

Problem with Audi S3 is that they are quite expensive for the size of car. I wouldn't pay more than 21k for one.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Maz, sorry to hear about the car being stolen. I have been reading and hearing the stories about BMW's being stolen as well.
As for a new car, I too recommend the Megane RS250 as well especially with the Cup Chassis. Lots of car for the money and the handling is pretty sorted too. Going to test drive one next weekend...I fear if I like I will end up buying one.
Alex

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Daz, I was thinking Rocco R earlier but then read his dislike for VW's.... I like them tbh.

S4's are a bit plain, but yeah a great car no doubt.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Sirocco R Maz [B)]
I will see if I can test drive one tomorrow or at very least have a look.

Maz, sorry to hear about the car being stolen. I have been reading and hearing the stories about BMW's being stolen as well.
As for a new car, I too recommend the Megane RS250 as well especially with the Cup Chassis. Lots of car for the money and the handling is pretty sorted too. Going to test drive one next weekend...I fear if I like I will end up buying one.
Alex
BMW have got a major problem. I really liked the Megane 250 CUP but at the time I was thinking a lot about the quality of interior. Its really difficult for me not to compare the BMW to other cars espcially when it is a step down in class.

The recaros in the Megane are lovely and the steering wheel is nice and chunky. The dials are a tad set back rather than forward facing. Aside from that it drove well and you can tell its a proper drivers car. Soon as your taking a few corners you think "blimey this car feels modified out of the box". I thought to myself "i spent all that money on the Leon to make it like this". To be fair I think the Leon actually was more planted but then it had 1200 coilovers, bushes and everything else.

I havent made a decision but it left a positive impression on me.

Daz, I was thinking Rocco R earlier but then read his dislike for VW's.... I like them tbh.

S4's are a bit plain, but yeah a great car no doubt.
S4 are a tad understated on the outside. Inside however you are reminded its something special for sure. Especially when you fire up the engine. I am yet to drive one though but the reviews I read and seen seem positive.

I will look at a Sirocco R tomorrow.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
BMW have got a major problem. I really liked the Megane 250 CUP but at the time I was thinking a lot about the quality of interior. Its really difficult for me not to compare the BMW to other cars espcially when it is a step down in class.

The recaros in the Megane are lovely and the steering wheel is nice and chunky. The dials are a tad set back rather than forward facing. Aside from that it drove well and you can tell its a proper drivers car. Soon as your taking a few corners you think "blimey this car feels modified out of the box". I thought to myself "i spent all that money on the Leon to make it like this". To be fair I think the Leon actually was more planted but then it had 1200 coilovers, bushes and everything else.

I havent made a decision but it left a positive impression on me.

I completely agree with you. BMW do have a major problem on their hands, there are a few companies that advertise in TotalBMW that offer mods to the Push Start Button and the OBC ports to make them less likely to be stolen but for the premium that you are paying you would expect that level of security as standard.
Also I am in agreement about the interior of the Megane, the seats are very nice and comfy (the standard leather ones, not seen the Recaros) and the steering wheel feels nice and chunky but the dash materials are a step down from BMW and I am not sure if I can let that one pass now.
My only other problem is I don't know if I can go back to a petrol car and the road tax that comes with it (£245 for the RS250 compared to £190 for my 525D) as well as the drop in MPG but the Megane from what I have read is a great drive and offers a lot of feedback.
Good luck in finding your next car.
Alex

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I completely agree with you. BMW do have a major problem on their hands, there are a few companies that advertise in TotalBMW that offer mods to the Push Start Button and the OBC ports to make them less likely to be stolen but for the premium that you are paying you would expect that level of security as standard.
Also I am in agreement about the interior of the Megane, the seats are very nice and comfy (the standard leather ones, not seen the Recaros) and the steering wheel feels nice and chunky but the dash materials are a step down from BMW and I am not sure if I can let that one pass now.
My only other problem is I don't know if I can go back to a petrol car and the road tax that comes with it (£245 for the RS250 compared to £190 for my 525D) as well as the drop in MPG but the Megane from what I have read is a great drive and offers a lot of feedback.
Good luck in finding your next car.
Alex
Cheers mate. Let us know your thoughts on the car.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
not sure if the build quality is the same for all renaults , but the mrs had the dci120bhp megane
although i liked it , something in the gearbox/linkage kept breaking could move gearstick around while in gear ' flapping like a spaniels tail in the wind '

do a little research just in case its the same although u'd think the premium models would have a better thought to everything

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I have ruled out the Megane RS 250 Cup. I have also partly ruled out the S3 due to the cost of them.

I test drove an S4 and loved it. Drawn up a list of what spec I want and now for the insurance payout and finding the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.