newbie pd130 advice please

mk4pd130

right ill get it pluged into a diagnostic which place does it local around west yorkshire?

attila_tdi

Aug 2, 2009
Hampshire
Can be any of the following:

MAF (you will need a Full version of vcds)
Egr stuck open
Temp sensor failure (fuel temp) making it overfuel
Thermostat

What size wheels do you have? Dont trust the mpg counter its just a gimmivk. Do brim to brim

mk4pd130

also i have 16 inch standard wheels and thermostat is not stuck as fan kicks in fine at around 90 degrees

p.s everyone here thanks for all the help and input all very helpfull indeed much appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:

mk4pd130

right after abit more further investigation thanks to this forums helpfull members i have discovered there is no sensor on the coolant header tank :-[

which is most likley why the light pops up also had a look around for any loose wiring / sensors and couldnt find any

and i am free on monday afternoon providing nothing pops up last minute

Last edited by a moderator:

DazJohnson

Have a look on the radiator hoses for a temperature sensor and temperature warning sensor (one has 4 connectors and the other has 2), if you find these, try cleaning them and the connectors.

I'll be driving from Durham to Worksop on Monday afternoon so I could meet you somewhere on the A1 if this is handy for you? If not then I could come to Hudds sometime through the week

mk4pd130

Right i will have to let you know about tomorrow on the a1 but if i do can i have your numer? i dont have any credit but i do have bbm and whats app

p.s whats closest spot to hudds you could meet me tomorrow?

mk4pd130

just finished a full tank of high octane diesel £60 within 8 days got 310 miles out of it max 195 miles on the motorway

Had it scanned on vagcom and it came up with a MAF sensor code

also the red flashing light temp sensor

Could this be knocking my mpg out really badly

or is it cowboy mapping?

Just worried as i mainly purchased this car for its mpg =(

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
Doesn't sound a lot, depends if you were beasting it down the motorway or not lol!

mk4pd130

not really beasting it how many miles do you get out of a full tank without venting?

i really looked forward to a car good on mpg

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
Personally, just under 400 on the last (first) tank, plenty of short journeys, quite a bit of country roads and a quickish 100 mile motorway blast. Current tank looks like its heading for just over 400. No motorways but been a bit more restrained with the throttle!

mk4pd130

somthing is wrong then for me to be losing 100 mile a tank! thats shocking :-(

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
somthing is wrong then for me to be losing 100 mile a tank! thats shocking :-(

I used to get better consumption from my tuned Cupra TDI, so I'd agree, somethings not right.

What code did it give you? A failing MAF would normally act as a restrictor because it'll generally see less air mass than there is, so the ecu will lower fueling to match the Air mass it thinks is passing the MAF, therefore there would be a reduction in power and efficiency and generally consumption will increase. If it were mine, I'd consider replacing both the MAF (bosch) and coolant temperature sensor for piece of mind, but thats just my opinion.

Regarding the flashing temp light, as you said you've got the 6 dial dash, so this may be another issue all together, and possibly the start of the common tdi sport dash issue.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.