Rear Lights- LEDs Purchased

May 1, 2011
North West
I'm shying away from tinting 'cause of new MOT regs on reflectors, was considering tinting up and just putting some thin reflectors on the bumper or on either side of the number plate

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
here i am!!
sorry for the late reply,i had problems.
however,i've fixed the dashboard,cruise control and the 3rd stop error,given by the led lights.

if you look the rear side of the lights,there must be two white connectors,one is connected to the leds and the other one is blank/free.
i cut the blank connector and i connected the red and the black wire to a boot light/number plate light bulb(5 watts).
now i am not getting none of these errors,

to do this,you can get the whole tail light block/boot light block to fit the 5 watt bulb into it.

i've modified only the left tail light...

i'm not english,i'm writing from italy,so,please,pardon my bad english.
i just wanted to share my experience with you.

thankyou all.

Do you have or could you take some pics of this mod as i'd like to do it on mine as i'm fitting led tail lights,i have noticed i have 2 spare sockets on my bulb holders can resistor be connected to these ?

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
Guys I wont be finishing these. I sold my leon so I have no test model! It wouldn't be very hard to finish them from where i was. My plan was to get loads of cheap 5w5 leds off ebay, drill out holes in the perspex and glue the bulbs in place.

Scam

Mar 18, 2010
London
Guys I wont be finishing these. I sold my leon so I have no test model! It wouldn't be very hard to finish them from where i was. My plan was to get loads of cheap 5w5 leds off ebay, drill out holes in the perspex and glue the bulbs in place.

The most heartbreaking ending since I wrote my last LC off :cry:

Can I ask a cheeky question though (feel free to chip in Lee69 ;) )

1. Are resistors needed in the circuit somewhere? I'm assuming so - but where? Or any useful links to any diagrams etc. I really want to give this a go.

Klone

Aug 24, 2010
Clacton On Sea
technically you dont have to use resistors to stop it spiking and killing the bulbs.

you will need resistors in the circuit if you are building your own array to stop the large amounts of power killing individual LEDs, but the "best" (and i use the word losely) way to control th voltage is with Voltage regulators.

a Vreg will obviously control the voltage going to the array so you can build it with the correct spec resistors and not worry about the extra spikes every now and again.

positives - no spikes!
Negatives - the vregs can get hot if they are regulating lots of power down to 12v - but you can heatsink them and have them sitting outside of the unit with air around them.

the "average" 12v vreg will have 12v output and 2v drop out... so youd need 14v all the time to make sure your LEDs are at their brightest... you can buy "Low Drop Out" vregs (or LDO Vregs) which have a 0.5v drop which is better for large scale LED builds.

All of the above is based on making your own arrays though :)

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
Pah you wimped out and sold the car rather than finishing them :p

haha. unfoutunatly i lost my job and finding it hard to find another so i had to free up some cash to clear some bills:(

but the good news is i'll sell you the split ones and you can finish them off:p

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.