Wiring up 6x9 speakers

Joe.Tolchard

Hi,

I'm buying some 6x9 speakers from my local Halfords. I have the latest (as far as I know) Sony Xplode head unit. Would anyone be able to tell me how to wire them up please?

I have a 2003 Seat Ibiza

Thanks in advance!

Mar 25, 2009
bath
I already have a fly sub/amp combi wired into my kenwood stereo. does this amplify the speakers through the standard wiring if i were to run 6x9's on extended rear wires?

Joe.Tolchard

Ahh I thought I might have been able to wire then up to the rear speakers :) do you mean I'll be able to keep my rear speakers and 6x9's in or just one of them?
I already have a sub blackoutrick. I changed all the standard door speakers as well so the 6x9 are really my finishing touches :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 31, 2012
Sheffield
If you over load the stereo though it will just keep cutting out and that's no good

To get most out of 6x9 you need to run them from a small amp on a different channel to your sub otherwise you will end up with bass coming through your speakers or vocal through your sub

Hope this helps

Joe.Tolchard

That does help but at the minute I can only afford 6x9's and they are only 50 quid. Would you suggest removing the rear speakers? If i show yous the head unit I have would someone be able to say if it will support the front and rear speakers with the 6x9's as well?

I have a Sony MEX-BT3000 CD Radio with Bluetooth. I would have posted the link but i have made 15 posts yet :p

Jan 31, 2012
Sheffield
I would disconnect the rear speakers if you have changed the rest because they will let your system down

As for headunit it all depends on what power output the stereo has and power of all speaker

Joe.Tolchard

I might just sell the rear speakers if that's the case, on the front of the stereo it says 54x4 if that's any good? Thanks for all your help as well

Jan 31, 2012
Sheffield
Best way is to try the stereo with all your speakers and if it cuts out you just disconnect one of the 6x9s and get a amp sorted to run both of them

Joe.Tolchard

Just an update for you all, I wired my 6x9s up to my rear speakers my stereo is handling all 4 speakers plus the 6x9s and they sound awesome

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Does anyone know what size speakers I'd need to upgrade the standards to have a little more/better bass, haven't got room for a sub and have an alpine HU so the output is there.

I'm impatient and want this sorted, ideally id just like to go to Halfords with some vouchers I have, buy some off the shelf replacements and do it before work on tuesday (makes the drive all the more impressive!)

Thanks all,

Jimski

Last edited:

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Do the covers just 'pull' or 'pop' off? Before I start doing the manly thing of brute force!

Jimski

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.