MOT Fail - What a joke!

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
* No rubber on the brake pedal - can cause my foot to slip off whilst braking

The MOT tester knocked the cover off my clutch pedal last year and I still haven't managed to put it back on. It's up for next MOT in 10 days, I can't beleive that's a failure.

The LCR pedal is mostly metal anyway with a few bits of rubber barely sticking through. :confused:

leoncupra2012

Mar 7, 2012
I think you will find mate the MOT tester was more so covering his own arse than trying to go out of his way to do you over/make money from you, MOT rules have recently changed, they are becoming more strict and in this day and age nobody wants to put their job on the line for any expense, you should get a free retest, and besides, its a few quids worth of bulbs, a few quid for the pedal pad from seat, and the spring wont be too much, id rather have my car fail on petty stuff because at least that way i know the tester has been thorough and not missed anything. :)

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I've had a car fail for the peddle rubber before. I also had to replace the clutch peddle rubber this weekend as it had come lose and came off. It's a PITA to fit! Put it on from the break peddle side first then pull down from the other side with the side extension on the it should pop back on.
As for the side lights change them for standard bulbs then change them back after the test.
I have a broken spring on the rear also. It's the lower end of the coil that has rusted and broken off so no effect to handling or banging either.
It's a hastle to sort all these bits out but It's fair enough for the fail. Look on the bright side it could be worse!

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
The MOT tester knocked the cover off my clutch pedal last year and I still haven't managed to put it back on. It's up for next MOT in 10 days, I can't beleive that's a failure.

The LCR pedal is mostly metal anyway with a few bits of rubber barely sticking through. :confused:

It won't fail for no rubber on the clutch pedal. Brake and accelerator will though

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
I've had a car fail for the peddle rubber before. I also had to replace the clutch peddle rubber this weekend as it had come lose and came off. It's a PITA to fit! Put it on from the break peddle side first then pull down from the other side with the side extension on the it should pop back on.

Will give that a go, cheers.

It won't fail for no rubber on the clutch pedal. Brake and accelerator will though

Strange...I suppose brake and accelerator are a little more important but surely you need control of all 3.

Spirit Furtive

Nov 20, 2010
Oxfordshire
Sidelights are white LED's not blue. deliberatly bought white ones as Im running 6k HIDs and blue wouldnt match it.
Indicator bulbs still flash orange, but I can see the point if the inspector is being a c**t - wow so thats 50p each...
Brake pedal rubber though... seems very suspicious but i guess ill have to accept that.
rear spring - if you say that it wont knock, effect handling or anything then I guess ill accept that. Best to replace all springs (lowering springs) or get the shocks and spring set?

Wait so they failed you on LED side lights but the 6k HID's they didn't even mention?

red mist

super cool
Mar 7, 2011
beach hut
for the rubber pedal seat £10

"don't buy AP SPRINGS" THEY ARE ****

YOU CAR WILL SIT ASS END DOWN AND THE FRONT WILL NOT DROP

BEAN THERE!!

GO WITH EIBACK THEY DO THE JOB RIGHT FRIST TIME

THEY ARE ABOUT £160

CupraTim

Dec 13, 2010
Southampton - Hampshire
for the rubber pedal seat £10

"don't buy AP SPRINGS" THEY ARE ****

YOU CAR WILL SIT ASS END DOWN AND THE FRONT WILL NOT DROP

BEAN THERE!!

GO WITH EIBACK THEY DO THE JOB RIGHT FRIST TIME

THEY ARE ABOUT £160

I have bought H&R ones (a futher 20mm drop then standard LCR height) as recommended by Damian @ DPM Performance. Im going to be calling a dealer in regards to the brake and clutch rubber. I guess I am glad that it failed on small things, still annoying though!

I guess for the sake of changing 2 bulbs from standard to LED will be ok. and yeah they didnt have anything to say about the 6K HIDS, they are fine, dam white sidelights that arent...

CupraTim

Dec 13, 2010
Southampton - Hampshire
All sorted now - Bought these off Damian at DPM for £125 inc next day delivery:

2E7A9A74.jpg

H&R Lowering Springs - these are specific to the LCR so will lower the LCR ride height a further 20mm - fit them at the weekend and then get the tracking/adjusting done. Bought some indicators bulbs and sidelights from halfords for like £8 so not too bad - as I will just switch back to LED sidelights once the MOT is done. Ordered and picking up the Clutch and Brake pedal rubber from TPS in Eastleigh, Hampshire for £18 each.

Free re-test so not too bad as now everything has been done.

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
All sorted now - Bought these off Damian at DPM for £125 inc next day delivery:

2E7A9A74.jpg

H&R Lowering Springs - these are specific to the LCR so will lower the LCR ride height a further 20mm - fit them at the weekend and then get the tracking/adjusting done. Bought some indicators bulbs and sidelights from halfords for like £8 so not too bad - as I will just switch back to LED sidelights once the MOT is done. Ordered and picking up the Clutch and Brake pedal rubber from TPS in Eastleigh, Hampshire for £18 each.

Free re-test so not too bad as now everything has been done.

Should be fine then, let me know how easy it is to put the clutch pedal cover back on :think:

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Mine passed its mot today thank god, it ran out in February and I didn't realise lol. Got a few advisories tho, rear indicators loosing there orange colour (changing for silvatec bulbs) rear number plate delaminating which is also a simple change. The one thing I will need to change soon though the exhaust, it's a bit worse for wear around the boxes and one of the hangers is broken so I'll be looking about for another one.

Last edited:

CupraTim

Dec 13, 2010
Southampton - Hampshire
MOT PASSED :)

Nice and easy to be honest, I sourced these H&R Springs from Damian at DPM Performance £125inc postage and they are to lower the LCR a further 20mm. They do exactly that and feel really good and the handling is much better!

2E7A9A74.jpg

Before:
D41C1870.jpg

E00764A8.jpg

After:
C7709C7D.jpg

797D3026.jpg

I also bought and fitted the clutch pedal and rubber and a new brake pedal and rubber:

00B67919.jpg

These were a bit of an pain in the a55 to fit, but got there in the end using a small flat head screwdriver to squeeze the rubber under the metal in order to get the metal on.

The springs are excllent, really good and the handling is even better - I only have an S3 upper strut brace and I do not have any other suspension/handling mods (other then standard) so just having the springs on have made a difference. I will look into getting a rear ARB and upgraded front ARB in the near future... maybe even a rear strut brace too.

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
you dont need washers and auto dimming whatever lights, if you have a aftermarket hid kit, if the car wasnt made with them it cant fail on them. :) facepalm

But if you have removed the headlights the car was made with, it can fail because of that ;)

Double-6s

Mar 25, 2012
Hove (Brighton)
MOT PASSED :)

Nice and easy to be honest, I sourced these H&R Springs from Damian at DPM Performance £125inc postage and they are to lower the LCR a further 20mm. They do exactly that and feel really good and the handling is much better!

2E7A9A74.jpg

Before:
D41C1870.jpg

E00764A8.jpg

After:
C7709C7D.jpg

797D3026.jpg

I also bought and fitted the clutch pedal and rubber and a new brake pedal and rubber:

00B67919.jpg

These were a bit of an pain in the a55 to fit, but got there in the end using a small flat head screwdriver to squeeze the rubber under the metal in order to get the metal on.

The springs are excllent, really good and the handling is even better - I only have an S3 upper strut brace and I do not have any other suspension/handling mods (other then standard) so just having the springs on have made a difference. I will look into getting a rear ARB and upgraded front ARB in the near future... maybe even a rear strut brace too.

Pretty decent drop on those springs mate. Seems more than 20mm. Also seems more than most of the 50/40 kits I've seen. Wonder what they would be like with Koni fsd dampers?

andycupra

status subject to change
lucky he did'nt fail you on those...
no headlight washers, no self leveling...

other than broken spring and pedal rubber it seems a bit OTT..

i thought the new MOT rules allowed retro fitted HIDs without autolevelling or washers, and they just need checking for level and light pattern?

Im also sure there is new guidance that means alot more advisories will be recorded. At least till the enthuiasm reduces.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.