have you been pulled over for poke on your alloys?

Fozzy84

Apr 23, 2012
I was pulled a few years ago in my mk4, had wide rears and a low offset that probably hung out the arches a good 15mm.
Got pulled and they said its illegal, advised them it wasn't as the tread was covered by the arch. The reply was they'd happily ask vosa to come down and check the car thoroughly, and the fact there was some rubber on the arch from where it caught the bodywork wasn't winning me any battles, so I changed my wheels.
The cops admitted it was a grey area. Probably because they didn't know the law fully. And as I work for the police, didn't want anything coming back on me. Iv since looked it up and it is not to protrude 30mm past the arch and the tread is to be covered. So "technically" it's ok.
Hope this helps

Last edited:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Or just use it as an excuse to get proper arch extensions made, fitted and blended in. The problem is the second you stand out from the crowd ( physically as well) you become a target for attention. Fitting wider wheels with lower offsets but inside bigger arches will be subtle but not illegal and won't draw attention from the Police. That means you won't be wasting their time and they won't be wasting yours.

Be interesting to see what the MOT folk say as they're the ones you'd have to get to rectify any defect notice you get issued by the Police.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2006
Penzance Cornwall
Could you use narrower tyres stretched on the rims - then the tread would sit further inboard of the outside edges of the rims, and maybe inboard of the bodywork (depends on how far it is currently sticking out)?

no i cant run any more stretch really, its not the tyres that are the problem, its the fact the actual wheel sticks out

turboboy111

Dec 2, 2010
Norwich
it used to be an mot requirement that the wheels/tyres didn't extend the arches BUT with the new mot rules that came in to place recently it is no longer a requirement. asked my mot tester about this

Lee-sw20

it used to be an mot requirement that the wheels/tyres didn't extend the arches BUT with the new mot rules that came in to place recently it is no longer a requirement. asked my mot tester about this

So if my wheels are an inch and half outside my arches it will pass mot?

Sent from my iPhone using Jedi mind control

turboboy111

Dec 2, 2010
Norwich
So if my wheels are an inch and half outside my arches it will pass mot?

yep, we had a landrover proper 4x4 monster come in had huge wheels massive poke (he hadent put the plastic arches on yet) half the wheel was prittie much poking past the arch line and no probs at all

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise