Decent tyres for Leon FR

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Just buying some new alloys and looking for some decent tyres to replace the mixture of cheap crap tyres fitted to the car when I bought it (Ceat something and Accelera something else).

Anyone got any feedback on good tyres for a Mk1 Leon? Size will be 205/55/R16.

Cheers,

Ben

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
I've just had a pair of Nexen fitted on the rear,very good mid range tyre
Alot of ppl are running Falkon & Kumho on here,there is a few threads on tyre's

Last edited:
Im running Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, very good piece of kit. Loads of grip and especially good in the wet.

They have a strange tread pattern which makes one side look like they're on the wrong way, but they are good tyres. Not cheap mind ~£550 for a full set.

vredestein-ultrac-sessanta-mounting.jpg

Last edited:

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
Im running Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, very good piece of kit. Loads of grip and especially good in the wet.

They have a strange tread pattern which makes one side look like they're on the wrong way, but they are good tyres. Not cheap mind ~£550 for a full set.

I didn't even pay that for the Mich's!!

Christ, I just had a look online, the price has bombed on these loads!

Can get them for ~£100 a corner now.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
I didn't even pay that for the Mich's!!

The Michelins are average at best ... totally over hyped tyre and over priced to boot.. I've had the Pilot Sport 2/3 as has my mate with his Audi S3 ... we both agree the Hankook Evo V12 outperforms them by quite some margin!

Last edited:

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK

Heard great things about these... may try next :)

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I was recommended the Vreds as well, on this forum and at work even!
Apparently they're the dog's n00tz!!

I've found them for 93 per tyre. Or 107 per tyre fitted and balanced.
Definitely going on soon.

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
The Michelins are average at best ... totally over hyped tyre and over priced to boot.. I've had the Pilot Sport 2/3 as has my mate with his Audi S3 ... we both agree the Hankook Evo V12 outperforms them by quite some margin!

Thats odd, I've found them really good on other cars, Had PE2's on My DC2, and ive yet to find a tyre as good.

Ive had a small experience with the hankooks and wasn't too won over by them if im honest?

chichee

Mar 11, 2012
Broxbourne
That tread pattern is just plain weird! I can't get my head around it.

Similar to the Yoko Parada Spec 2.

Kumho are good tyres and cheaper than others. However, with tyres, you should not look to scrimp, as it is the only thing keeping you in contact and therefore control on the road.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Thats odd, I've found them really good on other cars, Had PE2's on My DC2, and ive yet to find a tyre as good.

Ive had a small experience with the hankooks and wasn't too won over by them if im honest?

TBH mate a lot of tyre opinions are down to 'confidence' ... if your happy with them then that's cool. :)

I've used a lot of the Hankooks and have only really been impressed with the Evo V12's and the RS2's ... the others are average tyres tbh.

Whilst I love the Evo V12's I do think they are a bit noisy compared to some brands ... but you can't have it all! ... especially not at £90 per corner fitted :) - Currently on my THIRD set!! ;)

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Evo v12's here too, for the price they are I'm no even thinking of swapping to something else.
I KNOW what my car can do in the dry and wet with them on, loads of fun!

steve carter

Nov 22, 2010
Poole, Dorset
I`m running the Hankooks on the front of mine, much better than the Barum i had on there before, plenty of grip in the wet and for about £125 delivered and a mate in the trade to fit them for a couple of beers, a very good price.

WorkinProgress

ive got michelin pilot sport 2's all round on mine (came with car when i bought it) great in the wet,,,good feel and grip,,,but very average in the dry.

oh yes and i agree,,,totally over-rated/priced are michelins

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.