Correct Oil for PD ASZ engine

Kilimanjaro

Aug 4, 2011
Hi guys,

While on holiday in the Brittany region of France a few days ago, I got a SEAT dealer to do an oil service on my 55 plate Alhambra on 31 000k. I am now back in England and have been looking at the receipt for the service. It states thereon that the oil used is CASTROL 5W40FUT. Does anyone know what FUT stands for. Does the oil meet VW505.01 spec? (I wish I had looked at the receipt while I was stillin France) Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

DougJones

The correct oil for you engine is the VW spec you quote 505.01 if in any doubt change the oil to that spec which is specifically for PD engines.
Better to spend £40 now on oil & filter rather than hundreds on a replacement camshaft in the near future if you have not got the oil to that spec.

Kilimanjaro

Aug 4, 2011
I have pretty much gathered everything needed to change the oil. Castrol edge turbo diesel oil 505.01, oil filter removal tool, new sump plug, genuine oil filter, torque wrench etc (just waiting for the weather to improve). One question, though. I am told there is a 'cover' under the engine that is held in place by torx screws, what size bit do I need for those on an Alhambra?

DougJones

I have a 130tdi 53plate and the under-tray is held on by standard hex. bolts on my model.
I don't carry out oil changes that way any more, just use a pelo 6000 vacuum pump to extract the oil through the dipstick tube. Get the car on level ground & whilst extracting the oil, change the oil filter. Saves having to remove the tray and sump plug. I get just as much oil out and you can suck the oil out of the filter housing as well. The whole process this way only takes 3/4 hour so I do it every 6/9 months without crawling around under the car.
Sorry doesn't answer your question about torx sizes, but just google pelo 6000 vacuum pumps to see what I am on about - worth considering!

Kilimanjaro

Aug 4, 2011
Thanks for that. Confusion is due to Castrol having another EDGE 5w40 FST that meets 505.00 but not 505.01. The one that's marked EDGE TURBO DIESEL 5w40FST (with FST standing for 'Fluid Strength Technology' is 505.01 .I don't know if it was a typo. I emailed the garage, no response...emailed SEAT...again no response. I guess I'll just have to change the oil myself and never allow anyone to touch my car again, unless I really must.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.