What fuel ?

DSDL-35-Cupra

Apr 20, 2012
Hi all, i've stumbled accross a few post's mentioning v power or 97ron, have i read right, am i using the wrong fuel, standard 95 with cleaning additive's never really thought about it to be honest just go to the first green pump , i was told my car had been mapped and running around 230 @ 1.2bar if that help's.

Thank's, D.

Deleted member 22032

Yeah you definitely want to be running super. I use V power, its not the cheapest though, but no Tesco fuel station local to me.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Your car has been remapped. You need to know what fuel it was remapped to use.

Quite often a car will be remapped to run on 95RON while still giving more power. If so, using higher octane fuel won't help at all.

From the manual for the standard car:

Page 4.13.
Fuel 98 ROZ Super unleaded(2)

2) If the described fuel is not available then fuel conforming to the Super 95 ROZ lead free may be used. For more information, see the chapter about fuel.

From the chapter on fuel, Page 3.4
• If, in an emergency, the octane rating of the available petrol is lower than that required by the engine, only drive with medium engine speeds and low engine loading. High engine loading with full throttle or high revs can cause engine damage. Fill tank with petrol of the correct octane rating as soon as possible.​

Last edited:

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
IME, in an LCR, V-Power and Tesco 99 produce best overall performance but no improved MPG, and 99 is 'sooty' (exhaust) compared to V-Power.

Compared to 99 and V-Power, Sainsbury's 97RON super unleaded gives approx +2mpg on long-run, has similar mid-range and top-end poke but its low-rev throttle response isn't as good. (And Sainsbury's 97RON is 8-10p/litre cheaper.)

swedey21

Most days i drink meths..
Nov 15, 2011
burford
What ever fuel you use i would deefo say it has to be super unleaded.
All my cars that have been fettled with run super,my old STI i used to run super,and octane booster.
I wouldnt even think about using lesser grade fuel,more so in a tuned car..