Cutting out backbox

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Hi guys,

As most of you know, we have a composites company making us some fibre glass parts, one being a rear diffuser.
I'm thinking of cutting out the back box and just having a straight piece of pipe with a large oval tip on the end, K1 style, on my standard bumper. Now the tfsi engines have a middle resonator but my question is, will this be quiet enough without a back box? I don't want it to be stupid loud but sporty, now it's gonna be a lot cheaper for a 60cm pipe and a tip rather then a backbox aswell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calvR

Oct 21, 2011
Kent
This would give similar sound to milltek race system I guess. Middle box n straight rear pipe.
Perfectly acceptable noise when normal driving n sounds epic wen going for it!

400 miles to tank is really good, I get low 300's normally

graememgparker

Aug 24, 2011
hey, did you ever do this?????? I've been really keen to do this to my K1 but never been quite sure of the results, it's be cheap as hell for me, would just have to take the tip off the current exhaust and add in the straight pipe!

graememgparker

Aug 24, 2011
only just got round to having a look at this!!! It sounds good,not stupidly loud, but has a good rip to it when you gun it!It sounds pretty similar to mine just now, just louder which is what Im after.

Tried getting the back box off the other night but failed lol back section is seriously tight with a bit of rust on it, so I'll just get it down the local garage and get them to take it off, take the tip off myself and fab in a pieceof pipe and reconnect it up.... that sound right yeah??

graememgparker

Aug 24, 2011
Hey! Managed to get the back segment out of the exhaust and built a new one from 3" pipe, was tricky getting it sitting exactly right but managed..... and couldn't be happier with the end product!! Sounds nice and beefy but quiet when meandering round town then when I boot it it sounds perfect, throaty and has an awesome rip here's a quick video, was done on a **** camera phone so it doesn't sound exactly right, but here you go :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl-H7_GTKEk&feature=plcp

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
What about issues with the MOT? Would it still pass with the back box removed and straight pipe?

Graeme...where did you get the pipe from and who made the nex 'exhaust'....also, what was the cost?

graememgparker

Aug 24, 2011
Yeah it'll definatley pass it's MOT, i took it to the local garage onceI'd completely remove dthe back box and the exhaust was just hanging down from way under the car and asked them if it'd pass in that condition - they told me it was fine noise wise and emisions wise the only thing they said was the exhaust had to completely clear the underside of the chassis, which obviously I was planning anyway. now it's on it's quieter than it was then so it's fine - MOT's in a week so .......

I fabricated the new pipe myself, took the original exhaust off at the joint and only had to cut 2 very small welds where the original tip was connected to the twin exit so if I ever want to put the original backbox back on it's still in perfect condition!

it took me around 4 hours and cost me....... £9 lol (for the new exhaust piping)

What do you make of the sound? Like I say the camera was pants so it sounds more "tinny" than it actually does

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
Yeah it'll definatley pass it's MOT, i took it to the local garage onceI'd completely remove dthe back box and the exhaust was just hanging down from way under the car and asked them if it'd pass in that condition - they told me it was fine noise wise and emisions wise the only thing they said was the exhaust had to completely clear the underside of the chassis, which obviously I was planning anyway. now it's on it's quieter than it was then so it's fine - MOT's in a week so .......

I fabricated the new pipe myself, took the original exhaust off at the joint and only had to cut 2 very small welds where the original tip was connected to the twin exit so if I ever want to put the original backbox back on it's still in perfect condition!

it took me around 4 hours and cost me....... £9 lol (for the new exhaust piping)

What do you make of the sound? Like I say the camera was pants so it sounds more "tinny" than it actually does

Thanks for the info...might give it a go myself when I get time and once I've done my cluster upgrade!

It sounded good....I know what you mean about the mic on the phone...never the best but you can hear the 'burble' better!

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands

Graeme I forgot to ask, where did you get your pipe from (what length did you need etc.) and did you have to add any additional brackets to it so that it is still attached to the car. a photo of under the car would be good! ;)

Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
yeah I'm following this thread too. it would be allot easier to just get a pipe put on but trying to find a 3'' pipe that has been bent the correct way to fit onto the car is a but of a stretch?

is the option basically going to a garage and saying, Cut my back box off mate and weld a pipe on for me lad. cheers lol.

graememgparker

Aug 24, 2011
I'll get a photo of underneath put up shortly! I bought a piece of 3" pipe from the local garage, it was 3 feet long and cost me £9, you can also buy it on ebay for about the same price I think? And yeah, you have to connect it to the car so all you do it put one piece of box section(or any other metal really) across the top of the new exhaust and connect it to the original brackets.... like I say I'll shove a photo up later on, sounds complicated but it's really not!!!!:)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members