312mm brake upgrade

tiveyuk

Hi everyone,

I'm going to getting the parts to upgrade the front breaks on my Leon FR in the next few days. I've been reading up about it all but I need a bit of reassurance!

From what I've gathered so far it's got 288mm disc's at the moment and all I need to upgrade is 312mm discs, pads and 312mm carriers. I've found some carriers and some Pagid discs from euro car parts (104440858). The thing I'm stuck on is the pads (excuse my ignorance with this, I'm used to just getting the pads from the reg). What do I need to look for to tell if they're the correct ones?

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
The above items are correct - I take it you have a diesel
For the pads, you should be able to order standard pads or my advise is go for uprated pads for your car, remember that you are using the same calipers
Hope this helps and there is loads of info on here about this ;)

51mo

May 21, 2011
If you had ordered your disc's last weekend Euro car parts had 30% off all break disc's and pads. I picked up a set of Eicher disks (312mm) for £38 delivered instead of £56

I looked at the Pagid but couldnt see a great deal of difference between them and thought for that price there worth a go.

Last edited:

tiveyuk

Ye they're still doing 30% off until tomorrow night.

Sorry about this but I'm still not sure what size pads I need! If I'm fitting larger disc's the surly that would mean I'd need larger pads? So do I just make sure the pads have the same PR number as the discs or should I be making sure that they're a certain width, etc?

should these be correct?
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/S...a21e05fb04bf672d42ecfa0af399db327ab4df&000036

It its a 1.9tdi by the way.

thanks for your help with this!

Last edited by a moderator:

tiveyuk

I've seen some carriers for £80, I was trying to get some from the scrap yard for cheaper but I'm running out of time - the mot's due so I need to get them fairly quick.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
The calipers are the same therefore the pass that fit in them are still the same, all the carrier does is mount the caliper a little bit further out so it can fit the bigger disk inside it, fitting the bigger discs won't give you better braking (as in making it stop faster, that is all to do with the pad compound) what it will do is give you a couple of extra pedal presses whilst your discs are hot before they start to fade, hope this helps.

51mo

May 21, 2011
My car already has 312mm breaks so not sure if it was an optional extra or if someone has upgraded them in the past.

Yes them pads look like the right ones.

tiveyuk

I've double checked it today and they are 288mm at the moment - I guess the previous owned upgraded yours.

Everything ordered now - thanks for your help everyone.

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
1.9tdi in 130and 150bhp had 288mm disks. some cupra petrols had 312s.

the 312s will give you sharper braking over the 288s as the bigger disk/carrier gives the pads more leverage on the disk even do they are the same pad/caliper

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Im keen on doing this mod, where did you get the carriers? Did you go for standard 312 discs or grooved? What about pads?.....uprated?

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
i went for standard pads and disks. no need for anything better unless you have the caron the track or drive like a loon!!
carriers can be got new from dealers or second hand from a scrap yard, cars that has 312s as standard include,skoda vrs, audi tt, audi s3, 2.8 4motion golf, v5 golf/bora/toledo

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
I just fancied grooved for looks. My brother had uprated pads on his s3.....and what a difference, i fancy them for safety as plan a remap in future.

Ideal, ill keep an eye out for 2nd hand carriers.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
the 312s will give you sharper braking over the 288s as the bigger disk/carrier gives the pads more leverage on the disk even do they are the same pad/caliper[/QUOTE]

Technically not true!!!!!!! the larger disc has more surface area to help braking ;)

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
i went for standard pads and disks. no need for anything better unless you have the caron the track or drive like a loon!!

Why cheap out on pads when it's only £100 more for some decent ones (i.e. Ferodo DS), they make a huge difference....have you tried uprated pads to know the difference?

Having decent pads on 288mm discs is better than standard pads on 312mm, so the cheapest and best thing to do is uprate the pads like cleverspoon's bro did.

I would say it's the opposite to what you say - in that it's only necessary to upgrade the size of the discs and pads to 312mm size, if you're going on a track or driving like a loon constantly, and get pad fade and boil the brakes. Otherwise fit decent uprated pads like Ferodo DS, and it will more than compensate for most mods.

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Why cheap out on pads when it's only £100 more for some decent ones (i.e. Ferodo DS), they make a huge difference....have you tried uprated pads to know the difference?

Having decent pads on 288mm discs is better than standard pads on 312mm, so the cheapest and best thing to do is uprate the pads like cleverspoon's bro did.

I would say it's the opposite to what you say - in that it's only necessary to upgrade the size of the discs and pads to 312mm size, if you're going on a track or driving like a loon constantly, and get pad fade and boil the brakes. Otherwise fit decent uprated pads like Ferodo DS, and it will more than compensate for most mods.

Yeh good idea, ill only be upgrading if i need new pads/ discs anyway

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland

yes upgraded pad make a big differance but the op was wondering about pads when fitting the 312mm upgrade. IMO upgraded pads and the 312mm upgrade would be overkill for a daily car. no point in wasting 100 quid when david in sere can suply oe pads for 40.

if its just better brakes you want then i totally agree you are better off just spending the cash on upgraded pads!

i never had any problem stopping with standard disks and pads on the 312mm setup. the biggest problem was the car behind not having as good of stoppers:D

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
yes upgraded pad make a big differance but the op was wondering about pads when fitting the 312mm upgrade. IMO upgraded pads and the 312mm upgrade would be overkill for a daily car. no point in wasting 100 quid when david in sere can suply oe pads for 40.

if its just better brakes you want then i totally agree you are better off just spending the cash on upgraded pads!

i never had any problem stopping with standard disks and pads on the 312mm setup. the biggest problem was the car behind not having as good of stoppers:D

Sean, it's true that most people upgrade to 312mm front brakes for LOOKS only, especially if you don't uprate the pads, but seriously if you think your car can stop quick now, then having uprated pads would make a HUGE difference!!

And why would you not want to stop better? When you put on the anchors, you want to STOP!

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
Im not doubting you upgraded pads would make a big differance on the 312mm set up. I went from 288 on standard disks and pads to 312 on standard disks and pads and there was a big differance in stopping power so its not just for the looks only. The 312mm setup is fittted to cars with over 200bhp so they are perfectly fine on a tdi.

By all means OP if you have the funds go for the upgraded pads with the 312mm setup. You will have great stoppers. Another option is the brembros off an lcr. These will cost a bit more again.

On another note you can have the best brake setup in the world but if you dont have decent tyres its all a waste. The samp car with top end tyres on a standard 288mm set up will stop quicker than if it had the 312mm setup and crap tyres

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.