Water leaking into passenger footwell

Robbie Romero

Mar 4, 2008
Hi,

Noticed my passenger footwell was completely soaked...

Removed mat, which was like a saturate sponge.

Soaked up as much water as poss from the footwell.

Placed paper down to 'see' exactly where it is coming from...

It is defo not coolant.

Defo not coming in via the door seal.

It appears to be coming in from the actual floor, exactly where a passenger left foot would rest.

Interestingly, after a downpour of rain, when you rock the car, or slowly pull-away, you can actually hear the water sloshing as the car moves from side to side.

Where the water is collecting I do not know.

I took the car to the garage, who checked all the usual causes, like a blocked drain, air-con condensation etc, but they have no idea where the leak is...

Any help MUCH appreciated...

I do not want to pay the garage hundreds of pounds to dismantle everything, especially as they cannot guarantte to find the problem...

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
The usual place is from the door.
With the door open fill it like it was raining, ie with a can through the weatherstrip.
Watch the area down near the speaker, water may come through between the door card and the door skin. If it does the cassette seal has perished.
Other than that it could be the pollen filter cover not seated properly or the seal has failed.
Thats under the windscreen on the passenger side, you need to remove the part of the scuttle panel to access it.

Robbie Romero

Mar 4, 2008
Hi,

I had the pollen filter replaced at my last full service, which was done back in December.

I'll have a look at the pollen filter area ASAP, but am reluctant to take the door panel off, as the last car I did that on it took all day, and it never went back OK, since a few plastic bits broke!

Pretty sure its not coming in through the door, as the carpet between the door and the footwell in bone dry, it is as if it is coming up from under the footwell!

NB: I did notice a small square purposely cut hole in the black plastic below the windscreen. This was done by the previous owner, have no idea what its for - any ideas?

rizer290

Apr 22, 2010
Northampton
Hi i have the exact same problem mate. The rear footwell is soaked and when i check rear door that seal is ok and the carpet in dry ?
I phoned dealer and they suggested the pollen filter, even though its in the frunt water can spill down the side skirts panel.
I still havent got round to changing mine yet though

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
Pollen filter...is there rubber section of filter bent or crushed? Does it go fully over the filter...won't take a min to check that it's sitting right...
You will here it sloshing around if the filter cover is on wrong...happened in mine

steeler

mate its almost certain to be the pollen filter. if thats been put in slightly wrong at the last service then water can get in. exactly the same thing happened to mine. so easy to sort.

muffins

Hi there. I have an 09 Altea XL that I've owned for the last six months. Just notice the other day that the front passenger footwell is soaked where one would rest the heal of their left foot if they had their foot right up to the seat.

Had a look at the pollin filter when I slid off the little plastic cover the slides over the filter the filter just fell out. Is that right? filter felt dry. What's this rubber seal people are talking about? Am I missing it?

Not had the filter changed since car was bought and never noticed the footwell being wet before.

Checked the door seal and it seems fine. No other wet patch except for that specific area.

StevoTDI

May 14, 2011
I have this problem but it's under the drivers seat and in the rear foot well on the drivers side. I have no idea what it could be. I do see water collecting in the bottom of the front driver door sometimes....

Last edited:

virdi

Nov 12, 2006
Middlesex
Why don't you just take the door card off and then check the bottom of the carrier?

9 times out of 10 - This is the issue.

I actually tried to fix mine with Silicon but it didn't work - So I re-done both front doors with BUTYL Tape from eBay.

Not seen one drop of water since.

muffins

Why don't you just take the door card off and then check the bottom of the carrier?

9 times out of 10 - This is the issue.

I actually tried to fix mine with Silicon but it didn't work - So I re-done both front doors with BUTYL Tape from eBay.

Not seen one drop of water since.

There is absolutely no water at the bottom of the door or the sill and even the carpet by the sill is dry.

It's just that patch. I soaked up all the water yesterday just checked again now after the car has been parked overnight and it's been raining all night and the water is back.

virdi

Nov 12, 2006
Middlesex
There is absolutely no water at the bottom of the door or the sill and even the carpet by the sill is dry.

It's just that patch. I soaked up all the water yesterday just checked again now after the car has been parked overnight and it's been raining all night and the water is back.

Could well just be the pollen filter causing it..?

muffins

Could well just be the pollen filter causing it..?

The filter was dry. Would it still be leaking from there?

Another thing that comes to mind. When I put the car into reverse there is a sound like a flap opening. Don't know if it's anything to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

lsukltd

Seat Leon 2004 Water Leak into Footwells

HI

Mate I have the same problem, It seems like water is coming from under the car, I have flooded nsr footwell and now the nsf and osr are also soaked

This is causing great concern due to mildew on seats and roof carpet. Do you have any resolution, I see its a common fault shouldn't we be contacting BBC Watchdog

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
HI

Mate I have the same problem, It seems like water is coming from under the car, I have flooded nsr footwell and now the nsf and osr are also soaked

This is causing great concern due to mildew on seats and roof carpet. Do you have any resolution, I see its a common fault shouldn't we be contacting BBC Watchdog

Can almost guarantee its not coming in from under the car... Reseal the 4 doors... Check the pollen filter andccheck the grommet for the bonnet release in the scuttle panel.. Everything is available in the sticky section.. Just do a search...

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
the carpet at the base of the door will always feel dry. the water runs under this and the thick underlay so you wont see it coming in unless you strip the carpet and underlay.

If removing your carpets for drying sit in the empty shell and get some one to run a hose over the car, its the only way youll be able to see the leak if its the doors.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.