ESP kicking in early (not a usual complaint - an actual issue!)

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Having an issue with my Leon - ESP is kicking in far far far too early - like, reversing off my drive for instance.

Tyres are a bit low but still have over a legal amount of tread - certainly not anything that should cause this. Pressures are correct all round.

Suspension not seized or otherwise faulty that I can tell - bushes haven't been on for all that long.

Handbrake's feels a little loose when putting on/taking off, getting a squeal when I reverse only - but other than that nothing really noticable. With the squealing I'm wondering if my calliper's seized or something though? Not looking for an exact diagnosis, but wondering if this is possible, or what else could possibly cause it??

Also checked and have no weird sensor errors in VAGCOM - so don't think it's that.

Ideas/thoughts welcome!

Feb 14, 2012
Slough
Cant suggest a solution but mine also squeels from the rear when i reverse in the morning, but only seems to do it when its damp, really loud though

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Mine's done it on occasion - got worse lately though and the handbrake is definitely not as tight as it was before

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Do any errors show up on VAGcom at all? First thought would be a dodgy wheel speed sensor.

What indications are you getting that the ESP is engaging - just the light on the dash? Does it flash, or come on solidly?

The handbrake is completely separate from the footbrake and ABS system, so I doubt if that's an issue. A seized caliper wouldn't throw an ESP fault, as far as I know.

If it isn't a wheel sensor then either the brake pressure sensor or the yaw and lateral acceleration sensors would be my next suspects: but they should show up on VAGcom if they have faults.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Nothing at all showing in VAGCOM, other than stuff I'm aware off like the N249 bypass.

ESP is engaging because I can feel it - and the light's coming on. Like I say significantly lower speed than before - corners I was able to take at 60 before I can't take at 40 without it coming on now.

Handbrake is the way it feels - one of them is also way further in than the other - thinking behind this si that if there was enough pressure on it to slow the wheel down that that could be causing the wheel speeds to differ significantly enough to think it could kick in.

Handbrake is the way it feels - one of them is also way further in than the other - thinking behind this si that if there was enough pressure on it to slow the wheel down that that could be causing the wheel speeds to differ significantly enough to think it could kick in.

i actually think you have hit the nail on the head with saying that as although the esp and the handbrake are not joined braking traction on the rear slightly would effect the front making the esp work.

what do you mean by one is further in?
silly question have you tried switching esp off and feeling what its like then?
as you can normally feel when esp should be kicking in i had the same problem on my mk4 cupra but that was uneven tyre pressures.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Sorry al - 'little' late!! I was very vague wasn't I? haha. I basically mean where the cables come in and attach to the handbrake lever.

This is backed up by what I've done today when coming home - all right turns cause ESP to kick in at normal speeds. Left turns take *far* longer for it to kick in. This lead me to think the rear right calliper was stuck in some way - ie, right hand corner, that wheel would be travelling faster, if the brake is on in some way that sends ESP outta whack. Left hand corner, wheel slower, less of an issue.

Checking the cables after - the right cable doesn't move on lifting up/putting down the brake. Going to try looking later, if I can get any time!!!

virdi

Nov 12, 2006
Middlesex
Any luck with this Dave..?

My LCR started doing the same thing, since I had new rear tyres fitted..?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise