Gearbox noise/whine

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
:funk:

By the way if you buy the oil and the bottles are the same shape as mine in the picture i posted, you will need a bit of tubing or hose and run up from the fill plug to the top of the engine bay and pour the oil int hat way.There's not enough room underneath with these bottles.

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
Ok mate, I have a sucker so I'll use that. Won't be changing until the end of the month so give it time to run in or whatever and let me know how it sounds in a week or two please

Bosher

ok.... now done about 400 miles after filling with Millers Red Line.
It has made some difference, maybe 20-30% quieter. Gearchange especially downshift is noticably slicker.
Maybe it'll quieten a bit more after some more miles. (car's done just under 40k)
Is it worth doing? I'd say yes, even if it's just to know I have some decent oil in the box.

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
ok.... now done about 400 miles after filling with Millers Red Line.
It has made some difference, maybe 20-30% quieter. Gearchange especially downshift is noticably slicker.
Maybe it'll quieten a bit more after some more miles. (car's done just under 40k)
Is it worth doing? I'd say yes, even if it's just to know I have some decent oil in the box.

Cheers for the update, seriously considering this now

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Well after a longish drive today, i revoke my statement, changing the gear box oil has not helped :(

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
Sorry to hear that mate, in all honesty I never thought it would but worth a try. It's normally your mind playing tricks when you change something like that hoping it's cured the fault

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
If it is the gearbox would it still make the noise when in gear without the accelerate pressed, like you've taken your foot off the accelerate to slow down ?

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Seat called me as my car is in for an MOT tomorrow. They asked if the timing belt had been done, was done in 2009.

I've asked that they look at the whining noise so will let you know what they say, bearing maybe?

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
Hopefully it will be a common fault and they have experienced this noise before otherwise they might just start guessing. They will probably tell you it's the gearbox because it probably is but ask them what the problem is i.e can it be stripped/repaired, what bearings are noisy. From experience of working at a main dealer they will probably say it's the box...it needs to be removed and stripped to assess what the problem is.. And if it can be repaired they will but the labour costs for that will be sky high at seat

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Aye fingers crossed they've had the issue before.

How long have you had the noise? I've only owned the car for a month so if they need to go digging around the box and labour costs are going to be £££ i might hold off a couple months before getting the, to investigate

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
I've had my car about 8-9 months but not sure how long the noise has been there maybe 6. Seems to be getting louder tho lol but it's not really that loud just more annoying than anything else

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Right dealer doesnt think it is gearbox noise at all, they think its a wheel bearing but say its not loud enough to pin point it so have asked me to monitor it for now :)

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Yeah, personally im not so sure that it is the wheel bearing, the noise is not like a drone it is quite high pitched, more like a mini turbine sort of noise lol

dandanibiza

May 7, 2012
Any updates on this at all?

I've just bought an 04 seat ibiza fr and stupidly didn't test drive it properly as he didn't have insurance and now noticed the whine in 4th gear especially at low revswhilst just touch the accelerator, but as soon as you give it more gas and get over 40mph it stops.

I've read somewhere that it may be the bearings going, so I'm going to have to get this checked out unless someone already has on here?

Thanks all

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.