Turbo blew at dealers!!!!!!

cupradiesel

May 28, 2012
Just after some advice here guys! took my Diesel Cupra for service today!(dealer) was told everything was 100% fine, then got rang back 1/2hr later to be told that the turbo blew on the road test right outside the forecourt!! this is after the service! now it has always been well serviced, has a jabbasport remap, and is well out of warranty!so looks like i'm screw*d they were really nice about this and are contacting SEAT UK to see if anything can be done about this??? but the quote for a replacement, fitted was HUGE!!!!!!!! just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, where do i stand! up the creek and no paddle i presume! of course i have other quotes coming from non dealers that should be nearer a realistic price for replacement! but i just cant help feeling something don't sound right about all this!! HELP

Mar 25, 2009
bath
Dealer prices are stupid.

It broke in their care, they are just trying to get around not paying for it through insurance, its 100% up to them to cover the cost

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I agree with the above, and ask them for more details on whats wrong with the turbo.... after all it's not a bomb.... is it smoking screeching etc etc....

From this you can judge how likely it is if the've screwed something up on the service and trying to cover it up.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
they broke it they pay for it end of.

You have no guarantee that they did not buzz the engine by wrongly downshifting, caned the nuts out of it etc, there is too many unknowns.

If the engine had gone on the loan car they had let you have ( if they did) then you would have to sump up for it.

Stand firm on this one, and do not be hassled into paying for anything, do you have a copy of the service work that you signed for.

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
Id use google to search for people that have had this happen. Most will say that the dealer should pay for it but have never experiencedthis so dont know fully. Me personally would be onto them to fix it as it was them that broke it but where you stand legally i dont know! But find one and get it fitted elsewhere sod dealer prices for something like that.

Jordanwaterhous

Motorsport > Scene
Sep 15, 2009
Leeds
www.facebook.com
My motto to anyone who uses my car or any of my possessions is, 'You break it, you fix it'

Ask to for a copy of the T&C's that you signed when you dropped it off. If it says they are not responsible for any damages caused while it is in their possession, then there's nothing you can do unfortunately.

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
Do they know it's been re mapped? If so your probably screwed because they will blame the increase of boost on the turbo a ticking time bomb waiting to happen and you won't have a leg to stand on. If they don't know then I'd imagine they will contact seat uk and goodwill you on the job. Possibly pay half each or you pay for the part they will lose the labour etc. Best bet is to speak directly to the service manager or failing that head of business! They have allocated funds to deal with customer complaints like this I.e goodwill. Just argue that the car has been fine until the service was carried out so what's saying they haven't overfilled it with oil/driven it hard on road test. Remember the customer is always right and if they don't back down tell them your going to contact seat uk, they hate that and will probably do anything to stop you because it looks really bad on them. Trust me 

cupradiesel

May 28, 2012
Thanks guys! going to have to wait to see what they say tomorrow, and move from there! Sounds like they are trying to cover their backs, and are saying that the turbo was whining when I bought it in to service, but they want all my service history and are going to contact SEAT UK their self!??? They were all very apologetic, and of course i got a hire car!! and as a plus i had arranged a test drive on a 2008 leon petrol cupra, "with the intention of buying it" but didn't even bother test driving it as " i wont be able to afford it after this repair bill" the sales rep said loudly "don't worry mate , you didn't break it" the service department looked so Piss*d!!!!!!! speedfreak123 they don't know its remapped, i just hope there is some 'goodwill' coming my way.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
its a modded car - no warranty dude

v.bad luck.. and possibly a lively road test by one of their mechanics? We all know of stories of mechanics who just rip the hell out of customer cars... sux, but it happens. (main dealers etc... )

hoping they dont read SCN of course.... :whistle:

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
Thanks guys! going to have to wait to see what they say tomorrow, and move from there! Sounds like they are trying to cover their backs, and are saying that the turbo was whining when I bought it in to service, but they want all my service history and are going to contact SEAT UK their self!??? They were all very apologetic, and of course i got a hire car!! and as a plus i had arranged a test drive on a 2008 leon petrol cupra, "with the intention of buying it" but didn't even bother test driving it as " i wont be able to afford it after this repair bill" the sales rep said loudly "don't worry mate , you didn't break it" the service department looked so Piss*d!!!!!!! speedfreak123 they don't know its remapped, i just hope there is some 'goodwill' coming my way.

If the turbo was whining then they should have told you about it when they did a healthcheck and also they shouldn't of road tested it. You need to stand firm on this mate I know that some people don't like confrontation Inc myself but I also know from working at a main dealer that the customer normally gets what they want If they stand firm. If your not happy with what they offer tell them your not taking your car from the garage until you have spoken to seat uk and trading standards. Give them the loan car back obviously. Even if you bluff them it's worth a shot. If it were me I'd demand they pay for half the cost of the parts and fit it for free

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
If the T & Cs disclaim responsibility, I think that could be deemed 'unreasonable', so they shouldn't get away with it.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
£50 says they ragged the **** out of it from cold. SEAT scum. Never use them. If you have trouble making them pay, post the dealer and we will get some sort of protest group going, get some meets on there forecourt and **** up there business for the day. :D

Mar 19, 2010
There normal people like us. Ofc it got booted about. makes you wonder about garages these days especially dealers....

big rich

VAG techie
Apr 22, 2011
south yorkshire
^^^ Didn't realise cars were immune to mechanical failure when in dealers posession.

I blew a turbo up on a customer's car a few years ago coming out of the mot station had driven it for approx 30 secs before the exhaust turbine found its way into the cat. Was absolutely fook all to do with me I just drove it as I would any other car. Just one of those things.

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
what where the words that they used when they contacted you? I know it seems petty however unless they were very careful over what they said they could be admitting fault and then you can take them to the cleaners

Aug 1, 2011
^^^ Didn't realise cars were immune to mechanical failure when in dealers posession.

I blew a turbo up on a customer's car a few years ago coming out of the mot station had driven it for approx 30 secs before the exhaust turbine found its way into the cat. Was absolutely fook all to do with me I just drove it as I would any other car. Just one of those things.

Thank you!

A turbo can go at any time, I'd be happy that they are trying to do good will on a replacement.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members