alloy wheel broken!?

yea_good_1

LOVIN THE BOC
Sep 24, 2010
Ok fair enough if there wasn't a leak it probably wasn't that but it is decievingly easy to do if your not paying attention

adambolus

Apr 2, 2011
Ripley, Derbyshire
Yh I'm fine, just a small Mark on my stomach where I moved into the steering wheel.
And me either. Might ask the insurance if I can keep it as a momento lmao

its the reason I wasn't at the meet on Sunday lol

Last edited:

char_baby

Charlotte :)
Apr 26, 2010
Hampshire
Sorry to hear this happened, bit of a bizarre incident with the alloy!

Glad to hear you are ok though. Keep us up to date with things :)

Last edited:

Paul_D

Apr 19, 2011
Barnsley
I've seen something like this before. I recall somebody posting on Megane sport about a Vauxhall alloy that had completely shed the RIM. It may have been a vx220.
Also a couple of months back a ginetta racer spun and as the rear wheel slid sideways across the kerbs it had a similar failure. Try searching for info on those.

I would say it was caused by a fault in the wheel cast. You would expect the RIM to buckle from an impact, not be completely seperated from the spokes. Does the RIM show signs of a large impact?

Sent while I should be working using tapatalk 2.

AL90

Dec 14, 2011
Sheffield
Damn that’s bad… I feel for ya mate. Know only too well there’s note worse than seeing your pride and joy all scuffed up.
Glad your ok though mate. Hope you get it sorted and back on the road soon.

adambolus

Apr 2, 2011
Ripley, Derbyshire
right so picked up my courtesy car today and had a quick look at my wheel again, managed to get some more snaps.

2012-05-29115347.jpg

the edge of the rim, that is very scuffed, deffinately been running on the floor on that!

2012-05-29115359.jpg

another pic of the alloy completely in half!!

gonna start drafting a letter to seat, shall explain what happened, show the pics
anything else i should include?

i was involved in a motorway accident in my old car...... a busy saturday afternoon, M25, 75-80mph, fast lane and suffered a major tyre blowout! dead wheel no control what so ever. I shot across the 2 inside lanes and a 2 lane slip road on bare rim and smashed into the crash barrier kerb at probably about 60ish and did a few spins along the sliproad/hard shoulder.
my alloy wheel was sitting at a 45 degree angle to the car afterwards and was being held on by next to nothing. the damamge to the wheel was a 'cheese wedge' chunk missing out of it and that was about it!! (i will upload a picture of the wheel later as i kept it as a reminder of how lucky i was not to of hit anything else or be hit by any of the lorries that were about).

That alloy of yours HAS to be a defect, as mentioned before the wheels are designed to be able to cope with big forces and streeses of accidents. Sent them the letter with the photos and see what they say, they will try EVERYTHING they can to not claim liability but stick with it!!!!!

adambolus

Apr 2, 2011
Ripley, Derbyshire
Thanks aski could you upload them asap.

I have heard back from insurance and they are going to write the car off, however I.need seat to have it so they can look at the alloy wheel.
Just waiting for.insurance to.ring.me

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I have heard back from insurance and they are going to write the car off,

I'm guessing that the impact on the wheel did all manner of damage to the gearbox, steering, engine etc?

Tis a shame as it was a nice car and I was looking forward to a handling track rematch at inters this year

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Write off, wow. I would definitely get onto Seat pronto. Does your insurer know you are planning on going to Seat? Have they/the assessor made any comment about it? I would definitely be getting a report/opinion from the assessing garage and/or the insurance company. If your insurance company are being funny about it, remind them that if you are successful and it is a manufacturer fault, then Seat are liable for the cost, rather then themselves.

I'd also bear in mind that Seat will want to see it for themselves, so if they insurance company want to write it off, bear in mind they will want to get rid of it asap. I'd think about whether you are prepared to buy it back off the insurance company if they don't want to play ball.

On the plus side, if the insurance co write it off and you buy it back, you might then be able to get them to repair it, and be quids in.