Headlight damage after shunt....

FlatCap

Aug 6, 2008
Bolton, Lancs
....any opinions on this welcomed before i splash the cash - which i havent got at the moment!

Managed to shunt someone on a roundabout recently at low speed and ended up with wobbly headlights afterwards, plus my grilles are all cracked too.

Just got chance to whip the bumper off today and have a proper look, my passenger side headlight would appear to me to be completely shot. The black retaining bracket on top is totally broken off.....

IMAG0234.jpg

I know you can get a "repair" bracket for this from Sere but after today i realised the bottom ones are snapped too....

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

Is this salvageable in any way shape or form you reckon? Or is it time to ditch it and buy a fresh one?

The clip on top of the drivers side is snapped but only one of the lower brackets is cracked so i'm thinking i could have a go at using some Araldite or some sort of epoxy on that...???

IMAG0235.jpg

IMAG0236.jpg

Any thoughts would be valued gents just in case i'm missing anything obvious... gut feeling is the passenger side is fooked though!

Cheers.

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
The N/S brackets look to have had it, any repairs probably wouldn't last long with the vibration.
The O/S bracket might be salvageable if it's not broken all the way through, could you glue it and then screw a plate accross the top of the bracket.

If you are looking for a replacement, there's a N/S headlight on E-Bay for a pre-FL at £62. The Leon shares the same headlights as the Altea if that helps with scrappers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEON-05-07-BLACK-FRONT-HEADLIGHT-LAMP-N-S-/380437160611?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5893d262a3

Last edited:

DAZFR72

Apr 1, 2010
In The Van
if it was me I'd be looking on flee bay for around 200 English pounds you could get 2 new headlights with led d r l included for your pre facelift Leon just search for Leon headlights

FlatCap

Aug 6, 2008
Bolton, Lancs
If only I had the cash.

Have seen those and they look great but am hoping to get the whole front end sort for under 150 quid!

Thanks all for your assistance.

FlatCap

Aug 6, 2008
Bolton, Lancs
Finally got round to sorting this today - was awarded a couple of hours of free time for Fathers Day!

One new headlight from Ebay as recommended by Steely, new grills and repair brackets from David @ Sere, plus a tube of Araldite - total cost 144.00 quid!

The driver's side headlight i rescued by gluing the lower mounting clip and using one of the Seat repair brackets on the top. These little things do actually work really well as the headlight groups already have screw-holes in place to accept them on both the top and lower mounts. Handy, but almost as though Seat knew the headlight mounts are p1ss poor quality and made of flimsy, brittle plastic.... Weird that....

Anyway - some notes on my experience and a little tip regarding bumper removal that the Seat guides ( http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=128404&page=2) dont mention and that had me scratching my head.
Once all the screws are out (5 in each arch, 8 across the bottom, 2 in the centre mesh between the foglights and 4 across the top) the bumper is connected to the front wings with 3 pop stud type mounts. The bumper needs a REALLY good hard tug on either side to come free. I was terrified of breaking something the first time but by the second time of removing it i literally had the bumper off, grills replaced and then remounted inside of 30mins - it is dead easy.

Feel free to PM me if anyone has questions regarding removal of the bumper/headlights in future. I couldnt imagine trying to replace the lower mesh with the bumper in situ when removal is so simple.

Cheers.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.