Altea FR towing

chadwin23

Hello i just wondered if anyone has towed a caravan with an altea FR. I have recently purchased one but havent towed with it yet.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Well, you have a car capable of towing 1400Kg braked weight, so as long as the caravan and contents don't exceed this weight you should be okay. The diesel will be a much better tow car than the petrol i would guess, but I've not towed with one.

chadwin23

I thought it was a higher braked towing weight than that. My van is much less than that but i am used to towing with a 4x4 so going to be quite a bit different i guess.

mike55

May 31, 2010
The maximum towing limit is set out on the VIN plate under the bonnet. I think from memory it is the 2nd and 3rd weight deducted from each other. This gives the maximum total weight of towing. My previous Altea had a limit of 1400kg, which I believe is fairly common for the Altea range. The limit has little to do with its ability to make particular progress, just its stress on the car. My present Freetrack is a later one that has a stronger chassis and has a limit of 1650kg. .

I would strongly advise not to exceed 85% of the kerb weight of the car. This is a recommendation of caravan organisations and makes stability controlable. If you tow to the limit of the car you could find stability an issue in say windy conditions. I had a Golf previously that had a 92% match and the outfit was a real handfull in strong cross winds. A classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

mike55

May 31, 2010
Further to the above message, the numbers you require for the towing weight are the 2 lines under the actual VIN number. The 1st is the total car weight inc passengers, luggage etc. The 2nd is called the total train weight and is made up of the 1st weight plus the towing total weight. Take 1st from the 2nd and you have the manufacturers maximum tow weight. You must not exceed this weight otherwise old Bill could prosecute you if detected. Hope this clarifies the situation.

chadwin23

I checked the weight of my van and it is 904kg unladen and 1200 fully laden. So should be fine.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members