Seat and Leon virgin

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Hey all you Leon lovers,
I've been skulking around in the background for quite some time now but the time has come to start showing a bit more of my face. Basically I'm after a bit of advice as I'm hoping to bag me a Leon pd150 of some sort, hopefully the fr but being a complete virgin to seat or any of the vag group I could do with a second opinion on a potential target I've discovered.
The Leon in question is a 55 plate, silver Leon fr with 1 owner and 70K on the clock.

This is the linky
http://www.williamsofnottingham.co....1-9-tdi-150-fr-5dr-nottingham-201223474720254

As you can see it doesn't tell me much about the history as far as belts being changed etc so was wondering what I should be looking out for? Also those wheels will be going straight on eBay as they look like crap.

Thanks in advance guys and look forward to chatting some more
Dale

Looks good mate, nice colour too. I think thats an FR+ as it has the Cupra R bumpers.

Things to watch for;

Leaky door seals
Leaky rear washer jet

Cam belt/water pump changed every 5yrs or 60k.
Oil changes every 10k

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Looks like a good buy, the FR+\LCR bumpers, low mileage, and the bullet proof pd150 engine which balances performance and MPG.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
As above Dale, looks like a good buy..................it's a pity it didn't have the original wheels!!!!
Had mine from new and still love it :D - lower it and remap it and WOW what a difference

Sep 17, 2011
That's a good price, I did a lot of searching recently b4 I bought mine and couldn't find one that price less than 100k

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Cheers guys, the response is appreciated. So really it should have not long ago had the pumps and belts replaced and check the history for regular oil changes? I was a bit worried by the wheels in all honesty as they look a bit boy racerish and makes me wonder if it's been thrashed but then I remembered its only had one owner so hopefully that's not the case. Definatley getting rid of those wheels though but am unsure as of yet as to what to replace them with. I am swaying towards the cupra wheels but I keep wondering if I can find me some nice BMW or merc wheels instead. I also love bbs so I think it's fair to say I've got a lot of experimenting to do.
As for lowering it well I don't know =S I lowered my C2 and although it looked the dogs danglies I hated dodging speed bumps all the time. Also since I've taken them off I've had nothing but problems with springs snapping and top mounts breaking =(
It's definatley going to be remapped though as I've read nothing but goods things on here

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Cheers guys, the response is appreciated. So really it should have not long ago had the pumps and belts replaced and check the history for regular oil changes? I was a bit worried by the wheels in all honesty as they look a bit boy racerish and makes me wonder if it's been thrashed but then I remembered its only had one owner so hopefully that's not the case. Definatley getting rid of those wheels though but am unsure as of yet as to what to replace them with. I am swaying towards the cupra wheels but I keep wondering if I can find me some nice BMW or merc wheels instead. I also love bbs so I think it's fair to say I've got a lot of experimenting to do.
As for lowering it well I don't know =S I lowered my C2 and although it looked the dogs danglies I hated dodging speed bumps all the time. Also since I've taken them off I've had nothing but problems with springs snapping and top mounts breaking =(
It's definatley going to be remapped though as I've read nothing but goods things on here

My FR is sitting lowish on coilovers and actually i havent had too much trouble with speed bumps etc like i thought i would as the oil sump sits real low on the TDI's

only problem from lowering you might have is the splitter on the LCR bumper as iam running the standard FR bumper.

0c787a45.jpg

Last edited:

Dezeze

Jun 4, 2011
Swindon
Nice! Bit confused though, shouldn't the interior be black/ red piping with the FR seats and red dials/ steering wheel/ gaiter etc.?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
It should already be pretty low, 15mm lower than the standard Leon if it's the same as the Toledo.

I see it's got white dials - did the later FR's have them as standard?

Last edited:

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
Really like the look of the 1 in the link & urs M20FES,thats what i'll be going for next,think it would look better on 18's,looks like it got 17's atm.

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Check the radiator fans operate properly. With the air con on 'Auto' check the low speed fan operates. Failure of the resistor pack controlling the fans is common and mine cost £440 to replace (both fans, under warranty).

Check rear washer works - mine was leaking water into the spare wheel well in the boot.

Check to see if car has had oil changes and services when required. Cam can wear out if not.

Didn't check your ad details but don't buy a yellow one - paint fades!

Check wheels for bubbling lacquer - mine need refinishing (car 7y old).

Make sure clutch doesn't slip by booting it in 4th/5th gear above about 2000rpm.

Check cambelt done and water pump at same time.

HTH

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Would I be able to check this fan from under the hood or is it something I could notice from the inside? I've never had air con so that's a new one for me but I know where the main radiator fan is.I hadn't considered checking for the clutch slipping so thanks for that.
So I emailed them last night and he's emailed back saying:
Hi, there is part service history, I think last serviced at 50k, were currently waiting for a replacement service book from seat, due to the previous owner loosing it. I believe the cam-belt has been done and regards to the water pump I would have to look into that. Defiantly interested in a p/x. The cars body work is really good, but the alloys are scratched quite a bit, could do with a refurb. Its defiantly worth coming down for a look, you wont be disappointed. Many thanks Williams of Nottingham
Not exactly what I wanted to hear but what do you think?

M20fes yours looks evil! I love the black Leon's and was my first choice ideally. Wish I could have the fear removed and just lower it but at the moment it's a no go. I'm considering changing the springs tho and if I do lower it il replace and upgrade everything this time such as top mounts and bushes etc but that's something for much later on. I'm more interested in power this time so will be focusing on breathing, remapping and upgrading the clutch and brakes to cope. Just need to get the car first lol

Last edited:

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
To check the fans, just run the engine, switch the AC onto Auto (has button marked auto on it) and look at the back of the rad to see if you can see/hear the slow-speed fan running. If instead you hear a high-speed fan (noisy) pulsing on and off you know the fan control resistors have had it. Negotiate £440 off the price to get it fixed (what mine cost the warranty company).

Check clutch by booting it in 4th gear from about 2000rpm, once warmed up a bit. If slipping, that'll be another £4-500 to change.

Bubbling alloys seem to be normal at this sort of age. The bubbles on mine are around the back of the spokes so I'm planning on trying to remove the paint, sand down and repaint with grey hammerite as the repair won't be visible.

Make sure to check all the electrics - windows, mirrors, remote key fob, AC display, wipers & washers and radio/CD player. Check all warnings lights go out a few seconds after switching on. Usual stuff really.

Check for any leaking boost pipes - make sure all of the joints are fully engaged (they use a spring clip system with socketed junctions and not jubilee clips) and look for any oil spray around the joins. You'll need to remove the plastic engine cover but it just pulls off. While under there, might as well check the oil level and coolant condition.

I also think you need to look for evidence to make sure all oil changes have been done on time to avoid the cam wear issue. Also that the cambelt, tensioner AND water pump have been changed.

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Thanks, I'm going to see if he gets back to me with the history because I'm a bit wary of it now =( Ive heard the cam being referred to as "chocolate cam" before, is this a notorious problem and if it was to wear out then what kind of bill would I be looking at? The main problem I have is that its over an hour away so can't really just pop up and have a quick look. I just hope seat have a full history but I'm not very positive about it

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
People are quoting between £700 - 1300 to get the cam and followers replaced, with a cambelt change at the same time.

PD engine puts a lot of stress on the cam due to the high injection pressures of the (cam-actuated) pump injectors, hence the need for the use of special VW-grade oil and regular changes.

Degraded oil won't do the turbo bearings any favours either, so I reckon you're best off buying one of these which has a full history.

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Oh! I see what you mean then. I could definatley do without that surprise as its taken me long enough to save this much, not to mention the higher insurance I've got to pay aswell going from a group 1 to a 13. Il leave that one then and find another. I've already got my eye on another one but need to find out if this one has history aswell, here's the link:
http://m.budgenmotorcars.co.uk/car.php?id=27134877

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I think the cam wear issue is overstated: it's obviously a serious problem if it occurs, but you never hear from the owners who don't have the problem, because it isn't remarkable.

I'm convinced it only happens if the car has had the wrong oil put in and left in between services. That's why it's important to have a full service history from reputable dealers. Ask Budgen if that car has FSH.

Last edited:

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Yeah I see what you mean, not many people post about how there cam hasn't worn out. Hmmm just going to have to keep looking then and wait on a reply from this garage. Just so eager now lol il keep you guys posted

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise