insurance with btcc kit

CraaigFR

Jun 4, 2012
Why are insurance companies adding on an extra £3k wen declare the 1.4tsi has a bodykit, its factory fitted ffs. I even got my mum and dad on insurance. Any good companies to go with?

Joshh

Jan 29, 2011
Ring up and explain, if you're just checking a box which says body kit they'll think max power - boy racer

Joshh

Jan 29, 2011
I recon a body kit will still have to be declared regardless of if its a factory fit or not, its a major modification.

Agreed, but perhaps it won't cost 3k if you explain it's a seat option rather than some garish boy racer thing

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
its classed as an optional extra if the car comes from the seat factory with this fitted!

it should only classified as a modification if its done after the car has been delivered and the owner then adds this.

when the insurance companies do there quoites, on there screen there will be a leon that has the btcc kit for them to select and underwrite there premium.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
what im trying to say is the Kit was not an option on a 1.4 TSi so its not a factory option

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
the way i see it is this...my car came out the factory with the btcc kit fitted, and it says on my logbook (seat leon fr btcc)
insurance companys have access to the dvla database so they can see this so i dont believe that it is classed as a mod, i am in 2 minds weather i need to call and enquire about it but when it says 'has the car been modified' the honest answer is no

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
the way i see it is this...my car came out the factory with the btcc kit fitted, and it says on my logbook (seat leon fr btcc)
insurance companys have access to the dvla database so they can see this so i dont believe that it is classed as a mod, i am in 2 minds weather i need to call and enquire about it but when it says 'has the car been modified' the honest answer is no

If it says it on the logbook fair enough, I don't remember an FR being registered as a BTCC

CraaigFR

Jun 4, 2012
Thanks for all the comments guys! I just rang up an insurance company and they said if I haven't fitted it myself they can add it to the policy as a factory optional extra rather than an aftermarket kit. So i dont get wacked with the massive mod charges! thanks for all help I do see it on both sides though

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
If it says it on the logbook fair enough, I don't remember an FR being registered as a BTCC

its not down to the dvla to register it, the onus is on the car owner to declare as there are so many optional extras when if you configure your own car from new.

only know this as i work in the insurance sector and sometimes have to put the vehicle details in manually to bring up the right model

my old car was an astra sri with exterior pack and on the log book it was down as astra sri xp so sometimes they do list them. fair to say its a minefield

Deleted member 74601

People really need to start reading their insurance policy documents before they start stating that factory fitted options do/do not need to be declared. Some companies want them declared, some companies don't, either read their policy or ring them up and ask.

The reason some want them to be declared is that they base their quote on the STANDARD SPECIFICATION, if you start putting in sat navs, different alloys or parking sensors they then become NOT STANDARD. Most insurance companies will not charge you extra, but they will also not cover them without knowing about them. The insurers do not have access to a database with information about all the optional extras on your car.

Admiral for example want you to declare ANYTHING that isn't standard spec, including factory fitted extras. They WILL cover optional extras, and they didn't charge me a fee for the sat nav/bluetooth, but did charge for the parking sensors (£30, I tried to argue that they were a safety feature, but they said they're more expensive to replace). In the event of a crash, I will have my bumper replaced like for like, WITH parking sensors. If I HADN'T declared them, I would have been given a standard bumper instead.

I know that from other people, Direct Line and Aviva do not want factory fitted extras declared, but you have to check the policy wording or ask them to be sure.

*EDIT*

Here is the quote from the Admiral Policy Document

11: Standard parts replacement

Your policy does not cover any non standard parts (modifications). Manufacturers optional extras are only covered if they have been declared and we have agreed to
arrange cover for them.

If you make a claim for loss or damage to your car, we will only pay the cost of replacing parts needed for your car to meet the manufacturer’s specification.

Basically, that means, we will not cover any aftermarket modifications, but you have to tell us about them or your insurance is invalid. If you do tell us about aftermarket modifications, we will only replace them with standard parts, and not like for like. If you have manufacturer fitted options, we will cover them, as long as you tell us about them. If you don't, they won't be replaced like for like, and we will use standard manufacturer parts instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

CraaigFR

Jun 4, 2012
People really need to start reading their insurance policy documents before they start stating that factory fitted options do/do not need to be declared. Some companies want them declared, some companies don't, either read their policy or ring them up and ask.

The reason some want them to be declared is that they base their quote on the STANDARD SPECIFICATION, if you start putting in sat navs, different alloys or parking sensors they then become NOT STANDARD. Most insurance companies will not charge you extra, but they will also not cover them without knowing about them. The insurers do not have access to a database with information about all the optional extras on your car.

Admiral for example want you to declare ANYTHING that isn't standard spec, including factory fitted extras. They WILL cover optional extras, and they didn't charge me a fee for the sat nav/bluetooth, but did charge for the parking sensors (£30, I tried to argue that they were a safety feature, but they said they're more expensive to replace). In the event of a crash, I will have my bumper replaced like for like, WITH parking sensors. If I HADN'T declared them, I would have been given a standard bumper instead.

I know that from other people, Direct Line and Aviva do not want factory fitted extras declared, but you have to check the policy wording or ask them to be sure.

*EDIT*

Here is the quote from the Admiral Policy Document

Basically, that means, we will not cover any aftermarket modifications, but you have to tell us about them or your insurance is invalid. If you do tell us about aftermarket modifications, we will only replace them with standard parts, and not like for like. If you have manufacturer fitted options, we will cover them, as long as you tell us about them. If you don't, they won't be replaced like for like, and we will use standard manufacturer parts instead.
Thanks for that detailed answer mate very helpfull!

andyspencer

Eat My Soot
May 19, 2008
Birmingham

Direct line = tossers. Be very careful when buying insurance from these morons. Their sales people have no idea what their policies are. I spoke to many different people at direct line when i was with them. I had to repeat in detail each time, what is on the car etc.
The Aero kit (which is standard on the 2007 ref sport models and other models, which i forget at this time) and 18" wheels they will not recognise as standard to these models. You have to declare everything with these mugs, even factory options.
The SEAT salespeople dont seem to know any better either, they will happily tell you its factory and therefore wont need to be declared before you buy the car, like i asked. I can tell you from experience dont listen to them.
Avoid direct line and make sure whoever you go with knows about everything on the car. Otherwise what happens, if you have a bump or whatever and the car has to go into the authorised repair centres, before they carry out the work an assessor looks over the car to price up. If your car has anything on it that they say you didnt declare then they hold you to ransom and demand money off you before they will even start to do work. Hundreds and hundreds of pounds. Their system doesnt allow for 'factory mods' or options, its all tied under 'modifications'. There are no clear boundaries or guidelines, and their salespeople are hopeless.
There are much better companies for cars like these. Adrian flux are best, they require photos of car etc, but you know exactly where you are with them. I dont niormally write big posts, but this post im particularly qualified to speak on and want to advise everyone else off here to keep well away from direct line. In your hour of need, they will shaft you.

andycupra

status subject to change
what would the cost be without the body kit?

£3,000 to me reads as the insurance company are saying "we dont really want to insure you, but we might if you are willing to pay silly money".

Go elsewhere, how many places have you tried? i assume you are a young driver?

EDIT i now read they have agreed to cover as option rather than aftermarket :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 74601

Adrian Flux - I've been told they're supposed to give good quotes for modified cars.

However, I'm 21, with 6 points, 2 accidents (1 non-fault, 1 50/50) and even on my standard Leon they quoted £21,385 lol.

B1rdy

Jan 30, 2012
North West England
I insured my FR with BTCC kit thru Swinton. I told them the kit was fitted from new so they classes it as manufacturer standard. I made them write something on my policy saying it had an optional extra kit on just to cover my ass if I crashed but it didnt affect the price.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.