FR Tdi Cruise control questions

andi leon frtdi

Mar 8, 2009
portsmouth
i ended up fitting the stalk + loom myself and i was a very lucky man as my ecu was already set for cruise control. many thanks to mork for all the help he gave me. i don't think i could of done it without him.

ajmally100

Oct 11, 2009
Edinburgh
I got my kit from VW teeside for about £70 and that included everything I needed and it came with a guide however I also used the guides below. (I can't post URLS yet so add the www)

uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/221940.aspx
carbasics.co.uk/vw_golf_mk4_cruise_control.htm

I fitted it myself yesterday and it was ok to be honest, but I have had to remove steering wheel and wipers before due to previous wiper problems. Loom was reasonably ok to install when following the guides. I also bought VAGCOM so activated the ECU myself.

I can give more details anyone needs any help.

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
nice one will be looking into this again there is a 50mph stretch of motorway i have to comute everyday at the moment so this will save me from some points

alcarp

I know I've dug this up from the past but no point in starting a new thread............

I've found a vehicle being scrapped and it looks like this. Looks like it has cruise but does anyone know if the stalks are the same/it would fit.

From what I've read it seems like they will but need some confirmation really. Shouldnt take me long to strip it in the scrappy.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v282/alcarp/?action=view&current=toledostalk.jpg

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
That's a cruise control stalk and should fit your car. As far as I know the TDI doesn't need any extra wiring - but I can't be certain - my old TDI 110 had cruise fitted as standard, and my current TDI 150 had cruise fitted by a previous owner.

alcarp

That's a cruise control stalk and should fit your car. As far as I know the TDI doesn't need any extra wiring - but I can't be certain - my old TDI 110 had cruise fitted as standard, and my current TDI 150 had cruise fitted by a previous owner.

Thanks mate.

I think I will open it up and take whatever wire that comes from the unit.

It has sat nav unit as well so need to look into what I need to take from it for that too.

Any idea how much a scrappy should be asking for?

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
there is a wire from the stalk to the penlum chamber (under the wiper motor) that you will need also. if your removing it yourself i would say 20 quid would be enough. they are about 80 new for the kit with fitting instructions.

sat nav. you will need the complete center console/facia and i would take the lower center console (that runs between the two front seats) too

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
dont think there is a guide for removing the factory fitted loom. i think there is only 4 wires going to the stalk. 3 go to under the wipers and one to the fuse box iirc. if you had the plug for the stalk you could cut it off and make your own loom

joed4164

im goin 2 do this my self ive a tdi do all i need to do is install the Stalk and Loom from stalk to the connection box under the scuttle and it will work ?
will i need 2 get the cruise controll turned on by vag

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Yeh just fit stalk and plug wires in to loom.....it helps to have the propper removal tool for the plugs when wirring in to fuse box.....then activate it via vagcom

joed4164

if its not enabled in my ecu would a vagcom of ebay do the job

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Not to sure if unregistered version can do coding......do you have a laptop with win xp on it....or win 7?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members