Nick’s Silver LCR 225- update BMC Twin Cone vs BMC CDA

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Good to see you again on here mate :)

Hope the op went well. Spending time recovering on the laptop usually results in loads of car purchases haha I was the same when I had an op 2 years ago :D

I have the same SFS TIP it's really good. Be keen to hear your thoughts on the BMC cone too.

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
Cheers mate! :)

Op went well thanks just got 2 week recovery time now. So plenty of time to spend more money :D

Yeah I'm looking forward to fitting it along with the BMC. I want to go do it now but with one arm all banaged up i dont think i'll get very far.

Do you feel your SFS tip performs as well as your B5 tip did?

According to Bill there's no differences worth mentioning between the JR and BMC but I'm hoping to see a big difference compared to my CDA. Not big gains or anything but just the feel and sound of the car.

I'll write up a review on how it all is once I've got it fitted. I think no matter what it's going to be better than the CDA.

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
Just thought. What to I need to extend the filter closer to the wing? Is it just a straight 80mm piece of silicone and some jubilee clamps?

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
Update

Had my package come from Bill toady!

Really looking forward to fitting it this weekend along with the sfs tip :)

Be good to finally see what i've been missing out on all this time!

Only thing is I'm not too impressed with the quality of the heat shield, looks like someone got a bit happy with the grinder on all the edges! Probably going to end up spraying it black for the time being and might end up making my own. I suppose you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

photo-48.jpg

photo-50.jpg

photo-51.jpg

photo-52.jpg

photo-49.jpg

The heatshield doesnt look bad from a distance but up close it doesnt look so pretty :(

Anyways I'll post up some more pics on the weekend once fitted plus I'll get some comparisons of the BMC CDA to the BMC open cone :)

Oh and on another good note me and the misses bought our first house last weekend. Got a nice new garage for the LCR cant wait! :D

Thanks for looking!

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Nice one Nick :)

The cone is certainly going to be more vocal ;)

Looking forward to seeing how you get on and find it once fitted.

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
Cheers Tom! Cant wait, def want it to be more vocal than anything really, my cars as quite as a mouse at the minute. Nice for driving to work in the mornings but not when I want to put my foot down. I'll try and get some before and after sound clips.

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Nice mate, You'll have to let us know how you get on with the BMC filter. I've never been a fan of those shields, although I suppose they're good to support the MAF, I would just rather have one with a bottom to it. Just incase you want to give it a go:
P1020333a.jpg

;)

Last edited:

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
Nice mate, You'll have to let us know how you get on with the BMC filter. I've never been a fan of those shields, although I suppose they're good to support the MAF, I would just rather have one with a bottom to it. Just incase you want to give it a go:
;)

Cheers mate. Yeah most likely will make my own now at some point. What is the thickness of the sheet metal you got and where did you get it from?

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
So I got a bit impatient and couldnt wait for the weekend. So I decided to fit my SFS tip and BMC filter today when i got home from work :D.

Another thing as well as the heatshield looking rubbish its just as bad to fit. None of the holes lined up properly and the hole for the MAF was to small and needed filing. Def going to paint it black this weekend and when ive got time I'm going to make my own.

Comparison between the BMC Twin Cone and BMC CDA:
photo-53.jpg

photo-57.jpg

Comparison between standard tip, forge tip, and SFS 3" tip:
photo-54.jpg

photo-56.jpg

photo-55.jpg

Overall really happy with the new tip and filter def a big improvement. I only took the car out down the road for a minute just to make sure everything was alright, plus it was tipping down with rain so not had a proper go yet. But it def is a lot more vocal and I can feel it pulling more in 3rd and 4th but like i said it was raining so the traction control was kicking in like crazy so ill have to wait for a nice sunny day to test it and get the full experience :)

Thanks for looking.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Mate that bay is looking lovely :) Good job done too.

Give it a few cold starts to adapt aswell and then yeah, take it out for a spin in the dry and listen to that lovely noise! :D

Where did you get the BMC cone filter from and how much if you don't mind me asking?

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
ebay mate, get 2mm thick.

Cheers buddy.

Mate that bay is looking lovely :) Good job done too.

Give it a few cold starts to adapt aswell and then yeah, take it out for a spin in the dry and listen to that lovely noise! :D

Where did you get the BMC cone filter from and how much if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers mate!:D

Ok cool, can't wait for the rain to stop but think I'm going to have to wait awhile now. Forecast here is heavy rain for the next week :( damn British weather!

Got the filter from Bill, he does the BMC cone for £35 plus VAT and the BMC twin cone for £48 plus VAT plus like £9 delivery. All details and pic's are here: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=336011

I know it's a bit pricey for the twin cone filter but it does look sweet plus it's red :D

Last edited:

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
That's a true bodger5 job there with the heath shield. I'd send it back mate. Why pay for something which is simply low quality and with design flaws.

I have the jabba heat shield on mine but they are savagely over priced now. Make your own like RDS has above, will be much better.

On a more positive note, that BMC cone filter looks sweet. Engine bay as a whole looks very smart :)

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
That's a true bodger5 job there with the heath shield. I'd send it back mate. Why pay for something which is simply low quality and with design flaws.

I have the jabba heat shield on mine but they are savagely over priced now. Make your own like RDS has above, will be much better.

On a more positive note, that BMC cone filter looks sweet. Engine bay as a whole looks very smart :)

:lol: yeah I know mate it's just all the hassle, I don't want to waste anymore time or money sending it back. I'll just take the hit and learn from my mistake! I just can't believe a company would think it would be acceptable to let that go out the door looking like that! I suppose they think more about money than they do quality!
I would love a jabba heat shield but like you say they just cost to much. I will be making my own now like RDS has done.

Very happy with the filter, more vocal and I can tell its just eating up all the air unlike my CDA did. Cheers mate :D

cgb1982

morning nick what was the magnex catback like on your car as i have the chance to buy one
regards craig

Demon1781

Sep 1, 2012
Refurbed my steering wheel again, wasnt 100% happy with it the first time round:

photo-21-1.jpg

photo-26-1.jpg

photo-24-1.jpg

photo-25-1.jpg

photo-22-1.jpg

photo-27-1.jpg

Much happier with the wheel now, and I also scrubbed down all the stitching on the wheel,gator, and handbrake thanks to a bowl of hot water washing tablet and my misses toothbrush :D she wasn't happy but i was, it looks mint now.

Thats it for now I will have another update soon as I'm waiting for a package in the post :).

And also I have had a promotion at work this week so that means more goodies for the car :D

what did you use to make the line red (again)??

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members