Turbo flutter?

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
I've just installed a sfs 3" tip and bmc open cone on my cupra r and took the car out for a spin today and in 5th and 6th gear accelerating from low rpm I've got this turbo flutter. Is this anything to worry about? Im seem to be finding mixed commets on various sites such as its common when running a forge dv and to the extreme that it is damaging to the turbo. So If so what needs replacing to get rid of it?

Cheers Nick

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
No, ill try that tomorrow and do all the normal tests on the forge 007 to make sure it operating properly. I have recently serviced the dv about 2 months ago. Only thing I didn't change was the spring. I'm still running a green spring on a stage 1 map. Not sure if that needs changing to yellow possibly.

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
Cool well I'll give the oem valve a go tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully this will be a simple fix and not cost me an arm and a leg.

charlie_j17

Its good to torque!
Nov 11, 2009
BATH
Im running a yellow spring and mine has always made that fluttering sound when accelerating from low rpm in 5th and 6th. Its never caused me any grief :)

Last edited:

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
Nick how is your boost gauge behaving? Still boosting smoothly or is it bouncing as it goes up? Boosting from low rpm in high gears does make some noise as every lcr i have seen does this, but as you have just upgraded induction it may be your not use to this sound.
Also have you had your map checked yet? Also is your turbo spiking high?

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
Hello mate! Not sure I wasn't paying any attention to it when I was hearing this noise but had a quick look today and the small hose that goes to the top of the Dv did have a slight tear in it so I've sorted that out but not taken it for a spin yet. I'll see what it's like tomorrow on my way to work.
As for the boost it's still smooth, well same as its always been but it does spike when I put my foot down it jumps to about 23psi and drops down to about 20psi. How ever it's a lot different in 6th gear when I put my foot down the boost gauge spikes, drops, spikes, drop etc. so it's not consistent in 6th gear. Not had the mapped looked at yet but it's next on my list to sort out.

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
Surge thats what i was thinking. Hence the reason for asking if boost was bouncing.

Last edited:

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
It's because your turbo is getting too much air for what the engine car consume at given rpm which is why it only really happens at low rpm high gear.

It can be flattened out on a stage 2 map afaik.

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
A number of things, a fmic will help, faulty n75, map.

I mean it only bounces in 6th not any other gear, well besides the spike. How bad of an impact is this having on car? So first thing I need to change is the n75 then. Do you know the correct p/n for this as I have seen quite a few floating about on here? I love how cheap these cars are! Lol

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
Like james said, dont just buy parts, need to work out whats causing it. I suspect could be your downpipe and cat. The airlflow would have increased by alot and you cant get rid of it.

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
IMO you are getting surge but without logs you can't confirm.

AFAIK Surge is where the turbo is producing more air than the engine can consume at any given RPM. This will most likely have been caused by the 3" tip and filter you have added and it still being a stage 1 it will be requesting a certain amount of air and getting more than it needs so it has to get rid of it somewhere.

This can be sorted out with a DP & Decat and a stage 2 MAP. Most stage2 maps cater for 3" tips now.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.