Turbo flutter?

d3m0niTe

LCR 225
Jun 21, 2010
Bromley, Kent
What does surge sound like? I have an oem map but have fitted a 3"tip and a 80mm jetex cone.

I can hear what could be described as a sort of high pitched whining sound when in low rpm & off boost sometimes. As soon as you boost, you can't hear it.

Last edited:

LCR 225

Nick
May 1, 2010
Bristol
So I was paying attention to the boost gauge today on the way to and on the way home from work. Seems that this flutter noise has gone from 5th and 6th but the boost is still not consistent or smooth in 6th it gets to a certain point while accelerating and the boost gauge starts jumping up and down, 16 up to 20psi and down to 16 again. Boost in all the other gears seem to be smooth now though, no spike at all really. But think I need to just have some logs done to see what's going on.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Almost certainly not "proper" surge, see here and read the link I posted (can't believe so few people read this considering how many folk think they're getting surge these days):

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=349959&highlight=surge

I've tried green (stock), yellow and blue springs in my 007 and 008, stock DV, changed N75, gone back to old-style THS TIP (still fluttered but quieter), tested for and fixed boost leaks and changed suction pump, none of which fixed it.

If it was actual surge then your engine and car would be shaking violently, according to the link in the above thread.

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
Your car does not need to shake in order to tell if you have surge. Nicks sounds just like surge, the higher gears will cause more airflow, 6th is making enough flow to create surge.

Harris.

Apr 5, 2010
Essex Bruv
Mines done it since I went stage 2 and 3" tip. I've practically replaced everything (most before stage 2) and have given up worrying about it. The car drives and boosts fine and I just put it down to the extra air flow. Tbh I've given up worrying about these types of things on the car now. I drive it, service it regularly and will worry about it when something does break. Probably not the attitude to have lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members