Jacking points and axle stands (final word?)

Hi everyone

Been searching here for ages now trying to find the final word on which points to jack up the car and apply axle stands.
Opinion seems to be very split!

Would it be possible for those more experienced members to post photos for back and front.
Subframe, wish bones, big bolts etc are all well and good for those in the know but for the occasional DIY car person we need more clarity with this very safety critical job!

Thanks in advance

Official word from Skoda regarding this:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/175461-official-vehicle-jacking-points/

Obviously it's the same chassis, so transfers across to Leon.

Hi and thanks for posting that.
20837005.jpg

I was under the car today and did not think those short box sections looked like they would take much weight.
I ended up jacking on the big bolt just up and right from the arrow in the pic.
I used some thick rubber mat on the jack head, once the car was up I slipped the axle stand under the sill jacking point again with rubber pad and let the car down so that both were taking about equal strain.

nd-photo.nl

Mar 6, 2012
The Netherlands
www.nd-photo.nl
Official word from Skoda regarding this:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/175461-official-vehicle-jacking-points/

Obviously it's the same chassis, so transfers across to Leon.

Thanks a lot, for the lazy users who dont want to click a link:
I've had this for a while but totally forgot about it, as I already jack my car where the document says to. But some recent threads have reminded me to post it up, and answer the age old query of where exactly do I jack my Mk1 Octavia. This is taken from the official Skoda workshop documentation. Someone might want to make this a sticky or something......

Raise vehicle

Raise vehicle with a lift platform and a workshop jack.

The arms of the lift platform must be positioned under the frame side rail.

20837005.jpg

WARNING
-Under no circumstances may the arms of the lift platform or jack be positioned under the sill, the engine, the gearbox, the front or rear axles.
-It must only be raised with a workshop jack at the indicated jacking points arrows.
-To avoid damage use a suitable rubber or wood insert.

Jacking up points at front

51163007.jpg

Both jacking up points at front are located on both front frame side rails at the height of the marking on the sill.

WARNING
-Never start the engine or engage a gear when the vehicle is raised, while even one driving wheel is still in contact with the ground.
-It is important to support the vehicle with suitable supporting blocks if you wish to work under the vehicle.

Rear jacking up points

73190412.jpg

Both rear jacking up points are located on both front frame side rails at the height of the marking on the sill.

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Thanks for this - I have always read to do it on the large bolts where the wishbones bolt to the subframe, but will have to get under the car and try to find these points to compare.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise