Is Stage 2 really worth it???

Mark300zx

Apr 24, 2008
Surrey/SW London
If I add up the figures,

Downpipe, FMIC and a remap, the cheapest would probably be £1000-1500!

To gain realistically 20-25 bhp with added problem of losing that power through wheel spin??

CupraCraig225

May 11, 2012
Leicester...ish
Surely it depends on what the car is going to be used for? Track, I'd say yes, road use only, I'd say no. Will say now I have not mapped my LCR yet so can't say from experience. Have tuned cars before though and got to a certain point where I wished I had stopped as it became a bit un usable on the road. Happened when I fit lairy cams to my saxo lol.

It's not really all about power. Most stage 1 maps are generic and that's that. But going custom map to suit your cars condition is a much better option. Generic maps for stage 1 are designed to be slapped on Without the need to tweak. Works great on sone cars but not all. But then going custom map why not upgrade a few other parts along the way to help improve the performance? I would personally never go generic map it would be custom all the way. But that's my opinion. Along with the fact most people who own a half decent car get it mapped anyway so just to have the edge is also another bonus :)

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I really don't understand all the pigeon holing of stage 1,2? Surely if you tweak a stage one it's then stage two???

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
no,

when i was a custom code agent this is how it went,

stage one was generic map through the port, we could also tweek timing and fueling etc on the stage one map,

stage two would see the car have the supporting mods like dp, exhaust tip, filters fmic, then we would load a stage one map (or a stage two map that we knew worked on the car with those mods) log the car then chage setting again to get the best, so you could argue stage two is some what generic,

most mappers will have a stock file that they apply them change from there to customise to the car,

jake

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
Not the best anology though lol

Like I say. You can upload a generic map, like revo, like custom code like apr and then if you change one thing like timing it becomes custom to that vehicle.

Yea I know what you say about tweaking a generic map to suit the car. But a lot of less reputable companies will just load up a generic map and send you on your way. What I should have said is get it mapped and tested on a rolling road and get it logged so the tuner can check all is running as it should. Cars all suffer wear and tear in different ways so a generic map can cause over fulling on one car and run lean on another for example. It has been done and seen many times all over the forum. But as said go to a reputable forum member for any map be it generic or custom. :)

nally270lb.TQE

Nov 29, 2011
gloucester
There is someone on here running around 300bhp without a fmic i think so you dont have to have one. if my car hadnt been mapped before i got it i would have jumped straight to stage 2. however alot of tuning companies dont do it in stages. They do a custom map to suit your wants and needs on the car. I personally want to hit the 300lb and 260bhp figures.its going in to powerstation for a run on friday to see what its running now and what i could be running.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
If I add up the figures,

Downpipe, FMIC and a remap, the cheapest would probably be £1000-1500!

To gain realistically 20-25 bhp with added problem of losing that power through wheel spin??

Never driven a stage 2 car but stage 1 compared to stock really is like night and day, it's a big jump in performance. That'll cost about £300 - £400 depending on where you go (I got Revo, they've got a 20% off sale right now). Revo (and Custom Code too, I think) offer stage 1 owners an upgrade to stage 2 pretty cheap so go stage 1 to start with and if you feel you want more power later, get your stage 2 mods and upgrade.

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
Well this is my view. If you have stage 1 then dont bother with stage 2. If the car is standard and you have the correct mods then go straight to stage 2. Dont do both as the gain is not that big. I have raced a few stage 1 lcr and my stage 2 running less boost is quicker but its not massively quicker.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Well this is my view. If you have stage 1 then dont bother with stage 2. If the car is standard and you have the correct mods then go straight to stage 2. Dont do both as the gain is not that big. I have raced a few stage 1 lcr and my stage 2 running less boost is quicker but its not massively quicker.

If you had stage 1, then got the mods anyway and your map vendor offers a cheap upgrade from 1 to 2 (Revo do this for £50, or certainly used to) then it would be rude not to though ;)

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
My 'generic' stage 1 custom code was tweaked quite a bit by James at JBS, as the map was put on when the car had a mere 12000 miles on it. Hence it continuously hitting 280 bhp on various different rollers.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be working....

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Still none of this stage one stage two stuff make sens to me. Shorly you just get someone to made the car to make the most of the mods you have.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Still none of this stage one stage two stuff make sens to me. Shorly you just get someone to made the car to make the most of the mods you have.

I agree. Its just become the terminology but its either a generic map or a custom map.

But there could well be some mappers out there that run a map thats designed for X mods and that gets loaded to every car with X mods rather than tweaked/customised to the individual car.

Then theres stage 3........

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members