Dash change nearly complete

n0ble

Sep 14, 2006
Hey all,

Just thought I would share some pics with you of what have been playing with recently.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
I think it looks really good. I've already ordered some white, red and blue smd's for the dash. Was it an easy job and take you long? I might have to buy a finer tip for my soldering iron!

n0ble

Sep 14, 2006
They are fairly decent sized smd's so not too bad at all.

Tip to get them off is to lift the SMD up one side with tweezers and melt the solder on the side your pulling up. You then get the SMD off one of the tracks and then you simply touch the solder with the iron on the alternate side and it's off.

Make sure you take note of the cathode and anode sides, essentially just make sure you take note of which side of the LED has the cut off corner and ensure you fit the new one in the correct orientation.

It took me around 45 minutes in total. I would recommend a fine tip though, although I managed it with a normal tip as my fine tip was stuffed and would not tin.

n0ble

Sep 14, 2006
If you get stuck or anything when doing it, just give me PM on here.

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
I should be ok with the tip I've got on my soldering iron and I'll probably put a mark on each cathode side just in case! What SMD did you use?, did you replace the red on the heater or leave it as it was?

As bigbadjay says, you just need to do all the others now!?...although it looks like the wheel lights have been done?!?!

Last edited:

n0ble

Sep 14, 2006
Nope, I'm leaving the others to stay in with the red and white theme.

I left the red ones in place.
I used 3528 PLCC2 SMD's as they are like for like replacement.

Got them from crazyleds.co.uk

You will need 1206 if you plan to do anything more than radio and climate.
You can even change the leds to a different colour behind the screens if you want, they are also 3528.

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands

You can even change the leds to a different colour behind the screens if you want, they are also 3528.

I see your point with the red....god idea!

I ordered some from china which are 34 on a board which I will just remove and reuse... Only £1.24 for them and 16 blue ones for 99p....should work fine but if not I'll get the ones you've ordered.

As for other colours...I noticed pink...the Mrs would love that!

JonnyF

Jan 4, 2012
Thats looks really good! Does the white bit come off the radio for painting?

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
How????
I've been trying to get a full how to.
I've tried an i abandoned ship because stuff seemed to be stuck all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
How????
I've been trying to get a full how to.
I've tried an i abandoned ship because stuff seemed to be stuck all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a part guide on here somewhere...the chap from South Africa has done it I think. Have a look in the FAQ section. If you can change the smd's the other parts should just clip or unscrew off.

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands

Just a quick question about changing the SMD's. At the moment the buttons (e.g. Rear related window) is red but when pressed goes orange. Does this still work now you have changed the SMD or are ther two next to each other and you need to change just the one SMD? If so which ones?

Cheers

Rob

G5RBY

White Leon fr tdi k1
May 11, 2012
Stirling
Hi. Did you wrap your interior or just paint it? I have done a wee bit of wrapping bt guess that would be quite hard. If you painted. Do you know what paint etc you used? Cheers

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
Did the SMD change today and looks great, I might change the digital display from red to white too when I get time.
Also did the centre console ones too...they were a right pain to do though!...will do the windows next but need to get more smd's!