Lowered car eating tyres (sportlines)

simon54321

Feb 8, 2012
north yorkshire
Hi guys, i lowered the rear end of my car about a month ago (eibach sportlines) and put a pair of brand new tyres at the same time, these tyres are now knackered (inner edge) as there is a negative camber to it, im running 17" alloys with 205 40 17zr tyres on, what did the rest of you do when you lowered it, any advice would be greatly appreciated, :cry:

jreedy

turbo'd ep3- Fr tdi leon
May 13, 2008
sheffield
Hi guys, i lowered the rear end of my car about a month ago (eibach sportlines) and put a pair of brand new tyres at the same time, these tyres are now knackered (inner edge) as there is a negative camber to it, im running 17" alloys with 205 40 17zr tyres on, what did the rest of you do when you lowered it, any advice would be greatly appreciated, :cry:

A full 4 wheel alignment will solve your issue!

Did you not get it done after you'd switched the springs over to the eibachs?

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
i must be the only person who had no issues when lowering my Leon, i dropped it, left it a few days to settle went back to get the alignment done and it was bang on. hell yeah!

simon54321

Feb 8, 2012
north yorkshire
Hey thanks for the help, i did'nt get the wheel alignment as i did'nt think they could do much with it as there is nothing to adjust, or is there?? But i will take it in as soon as i can, dont suppose you know roughly how much it would cost??
and im still waiting to do the front's as every chance i get to do them it rains lol sods law i guess, but they will be getting done soon!!! i hope

jreedy

turbo'd ep3- Fr tdi leon
May 13, 2008
sheffield
Lowering a car affects the alignment of the wheels as well as the camber!

Say it has 1/2 a degree of negative camber at stock height at the rears....... Once lowered 30mm or whatever then the negative camber will increase (maybe to 1 degree of negative camber??)

Adding more camber affects the wheel alignment!

Whenever I used to adjust the ride height on the coilovers on my old ep3 I used to get it 4 wheel aligned again!

slepy

Oct 13, 2010
Sheffield
Ive been told that the rear camber isnt adjustable on mk2. Is that true?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
i must be the only person who had no issues when lowering my Leon, i dropped it, left it a few days to settle went back to get the alignment done and it was bang on. hell yeah!

+1 had mine lowered on Eibachs followed by 4 wheel alignment a week later spot on no problems at all

Personally I'd get a 4 wheel alignment done even if it was standard as the factory set up is shite

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
where people talk of camber adjustment, wouild an alignment not adjust this? ive always thought that alignment is just that, when geometry adjustment included camber.

Should do. Especially if it's being done on a Hunter machine. Not sure if they do it on the more basic machines though.

andycupra

status subject to change
Should do. Especially if it's being done on a Hunter machine. Not sure if they do it on the more basic machines though.

A good full and proper set up i agree, howevert when people ring round asking for alignement and get a quote for £14.99 and one for £45 are they aware of the differences they are likely to get in the actual service they will receive.

I would always encourage people to be specific and clarify what they want as i would think that most places will only be adjusting the front alignment even with a 4 wheel alignment upless you are clear you want camber adjustments.
This is my experience anyway.

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
where people talk of camber adjustment, wouild an alignment not adjust this? ive always thought that alignment is just that, when geometry adjustment included camber.

should do mine did and should reflect in the price mine was £40 for the check then £8 per adjustment so max of £40+ £32 makes a hell of a difference :)

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
my car is just a standard 1.2TSi, would it be worth getting a full alignment done on mine? I keep getting a steering wheel wobble at about 80mph, i think that could be wheel balancing, but they've been done a few times! I'm also sure handling could be improved a little more too.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
my car is just a standard 1.2TSi, would it be worth getting a full alignment done on mine? I keep getting a steering wheel wobble at about 80mph, i think that could be wheel balancing, but they've been done a few times! I'm also sure handling could be improved a little more too.

Definitely worth getting it checked and the geometry/alignment set up properly. Balancing might need doing again as well. See if you can find somewhere that has one of these:-

http://www.weightsaver.com/

Worked a treat sorting out my wheel wobble that other balancing machines didn't seem to cure.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
I don't think that camber is adjustable at the front in oe spec.

I'll doublecheck with the place that did mine as it's going in for new tyres and alignment soon. On the hunter alignment printouts it showed it as being adjustable. I'll report back when I get an answer.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise