Mk5 Gti brake pads/discs

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Hi, Friend of mine is upgrading his GTI brakes will standard GTI disks and pads fit my 05 2.0TDi as his old disks only have 1000km on. all the part numbers seem to match on the websites I just want to ask the experts for a second opinion as I'm a newbie to servicing.

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
If they are from a standard GTI or ED30 then they'll be 312mm discs.

Is your 2.0 a 140bhp or 170bhp?
If 140 then I think you'll need carriers changed to accomodate the bigger discs, if 170 then you will have the same 312mm setup (well, that's how it works on the Golf so I take it the Altea would be the same).

The pads are the same regardless of 288 or 312 discs.

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Picked up a set from someone else who threw in the calipers also! :D They are fairly caked with rust and the calipers are manky with brake dust, does anyone know a good safe way to clean the brake disks and calipers.

The calipers are red! :drool:

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
Did you get the carriers with the calipers, as that's technically the only bit you need for the 'upgrade'.

Engine degreaser, rags, and a fairly abrasive brush will get most of the crap off.

Gives you an opportunity to change the brake fluid since they'll need bled if you change calipers.

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Well the rear calipers are completely seized which is a pain as they are the ones I wanted most as I need to replace the left rear side because the brake bleed nipple is seized! :cry:

Anyone know a method to try and pry the calipers open, and then recon.. is there a liquid I could use to soak them in overnight..someone suggested sticking them in a dishwasher, said the heat would loosen things up...? I've had one in a vice and tried to use a lot of pressure to release them, no luck..

Oh I have 16in "altea" wheels and the brake disks/calipers did look like they would fit, has anyone got 312mm disk with 16s?

Last edited:

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Yep thanks, I'll have to stick them on again, I just really held them up to the wheel and thought.. nah never going to fit, they'll be very tight though.

Anyone got a tip on how to recon the rear calipers, is there a caliper recon pack available from VW?

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Well the rear calipers are completely seized which is a pain as they are the ones I wanted most as I need to replace the left rear side because the brake bleed nipple is seized! :cry:

Anyone know a method to try and pry the calipers open, and then recon.. is there a liquid I could use to soak them in overnight..someone suggested sticking them in a dishwasher, said the heat would loosen things up...? I've had one in a vice and tried to use a lot of pressure to release them, no luck..

Oh I have 16in "altea" wheels and the brake disks/calipers did look like they would fit, has anyone got 312mm disk with 16s?

Rear calipers wind back in,not squeeze back in like the fronts!

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
thanks for the replies lads, just looking at your guide Viking, what is the tool called that you used to screw the piston.?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Caliper rewind tool.

Get it cheapest at Machine Mart, unless you wanna trawl online. Careful though, many ebal sellers use the Laser Tools picture and sell you a cheapo crap copy which doesn't fit the calipers correctly without modifying, and also some caliper tools wind the opposite way. Make sure you get the correct hand.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise