Cupra Oil Consumption

rossco775

Mar 16, 2012
If my car passed the compression test, does that not mean the oil is not getting passed the piston rings?? Would that mean the oil is getting passed another place?? The valves for example. Also just been told that 1/2 a litre every 500 miles is classed as being fine and no warranty work would get done. Not so hopeful of getting my car fixed now. I keep saying the manual says a maximum of 1/2 litre every 625 miles. falls on deaf ears.
3 weeks tomorrow it goes in to the garage to find out.

rossco775

Mar 16, 2012
Just got a phone call from my seat garage and my car failed the oil consumption test. They said the oil was off the bottom of the dip stick when they checked it. So the consumption problem must have been worse than I thought. She said the car will get new piston rings. I thought it would have been new pistons as well? but maybe not. Not sure what process they go through to decide what gets changed.
Anyway at least something is getting done about it!! Fingers crossed this sorts the problem.

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
Just got a phone call from my seat garage and my car failed the oil consumption test. They said the oil was off the bottom of the dip stick when they checked it. So the consumption problem must have been worse than I thought. She said the car will get new piston rings. I thought it would have been new pistons as well? but maybe not. Not sure what process they go through to decide what gets changed.
Anyway at least something is getting done about it!! Fingers crossed this sorts the problem.

Sounds same as mine, although on inspection to do the rings the bores were scored and whole engine ended up getting replaced. :)

pr0xy

Apr 3, 2011
just wondering guys, for how long do you own your car please ?
i'm asking you guys who are having oil problems cause i'm having same issue

rossco775

Mar 16, 2012
just wondering guys, for how long do you own your car please ?
i'm asking you guys who are having oil problems cause i'm having same issue

Had mine since March 2012. Has 23500 miles on the clock now. Mines a 2010 plate one. If your having trouble with your car phone up seat uk. They are really helpful.

pr0xy

Apr 3, 2011
Had mine since March 2012. Has 23500 miles on the clock now. Mines a 2010 plate one. If your having trouble with your car phone up seat uk. They are really helpful.

Thanks for your reply
The problem is that I'm not from the UK, should I still call them ?
I did send a couple of emails to Seat Spain which should be the main dealer but they weren't helpful at all

rossco775

Mar 16, 2012
Thanks for your reply
The problem is that I'm not from the UK, should I still call them ?
I did send a couple of emails to Seat Spain which should be the main dealer but they weren't helpful at all

I originally got in touch with my garage about the oil consumption problem but they were not interested so I phoned seat UK. When i explained that i was using too much oil they phoned up my garage, then they booked my car in for an oil consumption test. Seat UK were really helpful, can't fault them. I would have thought Seat Spain would be the same. Have you tried phoning them instead?

Dec 3, 2009
My fr failed the oil consumption test on Tuesday... Got a call today from my dealer saying they need to changed/fix things advise by seat hq.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

CyborgCupraJQ

Boca Inside*
Dec 28, 2010
Oporto, Portugal
August 2010 - 12780kms

Suffered low compression on cylinder 4

Solution: New engine, Injectors, Coilpack, Spark Plugs, Fuel Pump and ECU

Car is ready and fixed but I didnt pick it up yet

Last edited:

rossco775

Mar 16, 2012
The garage has told me they have inspected the engine and all it needs is new piston rings. Little confused as it has had the compression test done on it and it passed. Does that not mean the oil is getting past some where else? I spoke to Seat UK asking if this will solve the problem, They said there is no garantee it will. Sounds like the only garantee fix is a new engine. Also im bit worried what other damage may have happened to other parts of the engine and the Catalytic converter, but seat UK said it will have all been inspected when they took it apart and anything damaged would be replaced. I will have to wait and see if this will fix the problem with the car.

pr0xy

Apr 3, 2011
Did you guys ask/fight to get a new car maybe ?
Mine's only a year old and won't accept changing the engine of it cause I don't expect such things happen just after a year

pr0xy

Apr 3, 2011
Ehh I'm still fighting with them about it
Going to get legal now as I took the papers and car contract to a lawyer to see what my rights are as they're trying to make a joke out of me

Shunter

Some progress

Just had my 20k service done and complained about the oil use again. They filled it up with oil and I have to take it back after 2000km to have it checked/weighed. After the 10k service they just offered to check it and if it was okay I would have to pay £200+. So at least they are looking at it. As usual of course reckoned they were not aware of any issues with this engine!!!!!! :confused:

Hillybilly

Does any1 know how many miles you have to do once they weigh the oil? Wen i pick my car up there saying ive got to do 1000 miles then go bk

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
Think it's only 200 or so but it doesn't matter, because they will be able to work out oil/mileage. Just take some out your sump if you want to speed it along

Hillybilly

Picked car up today after service 1000 miles to do then get my oil weighed. An its being checked under warrenty

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.