iTB Ibiza Cupra 16v Track Toy - Engine Rebuild, Aero & More Page 73+

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
He as found that if you go too high in the CR the ABF/9A doesn't like it, gets too much "pinking" and unable to map it out.

High cr engines need lots of cam to work. You are limited on the amount of cam you can use by sticking with hydro lifters. So 11.5 is about right Imo for hydros. Mine runs more cr, but also a lot more cam.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Had my alloys redone (4th time) The last time I had them sprayed I couldn't leave the paint harden as I needed the tyres back on to get the car down to Saxon to have the dog box fitted so they all got marked when the tyres were fitted and then the trailer straps rubbed some paint of a spoke.

This time I had them powder coated my PPS in Hawain

a764a012.jpg

249ac2d0.jpg

And new rubber (on the bottom) the used ones are still ok for the rear.
3a582ac2.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Right got a bit to update on.

Firstly I attended Spring Performance Car Action Day at Combe.... I haven't looked for any photos so if you have any then please post them up!

The day was pretty wet and I found the Kumho V70A's on a full on wet track are rubbish! The best way I can explain is it felt like driving on the snow, there is a video on youtube with two Pug's and I come wheel spinning by but I can't find it now :(

As the track got drier the tyres actually worked and by the 3rd session the track was dry and the differance in grip was a lot BUT I did notice that my brakes weren't feeling too good and inspection they were worn.... So since Combe and up until today the car is still on axel stands.

I managed to win a set of Speedline Comp 2's on eBay but were in need of a good refurb

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

Took them to PPS in Hirwaun

I've had two piece discs made up for the front by Godspeed Brakes with that the front & rear discs grooved along with DS2500 pads on the front & back. Once everything was off I had the Brembo's refurbed, luck that I did as they found I had cooked the inner seals!

98a23f3a.jpg

Got my Speedline's back from PPS
d86132c4.jpg

The New Vs. Old Discs
f8d068fa.jpg

Ordered up a set of Goodridge braided hoses to but on fitting the brakes I found the fronts were too short (I asked for Mk3 Ibiza Cupra R hoses) which should have fitted but don't! Even the fitment to the Brembo's would ideally be a 90 degree elbow but these are straight

4a3b1595.jpg

Contacted Goodridge but they not being very helpful at the moment.

The other hoses fitted perfect
a3942abb.jpg

191f2fb0.jpg

Fitted the front discs & calipers
eae3db1f.jpg

And trial fitted the Comp 2's
c2880c26.jpg

And might as well get a pic with the Compomotive MO's
c9502e99.jpg

Fitted the rear discs and pads and also removed my studs from the hub of the rears and cleaned them up ready to fit so the new rear discs after I bleed the brakes
953b1f41.jpg

4821794b.jpg

Ordered a set of braided hoses from Badger 5 so just waiting on delivery of them now to fit then I can bleed the brakes, fit the studs and then go out for a day to bed the discs & beds in. While waiting on the hoses I fitted some grip tape used on skateboards to the footwells as I'm fed up of marks on the floor and sliding around when it's wet lol.
1f85ba12.jpg

And on a random look on eBay at GoPro Hero 2 camera's I found a Motorsport Edition going for £187.50 with a buy it now so knowing that was cheap & fancying one for a while I bought that, then when I looked 20mins later the seller had but it up to £199.99 so I think he made a mistake as he also had some up where you could bid for that at that starting price.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
If anyone can recommend some excellent road tyres for the wet then let me know, this is why I have bought the speedlines so I can have a set of "dry" & "wets" at track days

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
yea, i was thinking that when I was under the car changing the hoses.... could do with a powder coating!

Only thing is I don't want to remove the stud axle because it's all shimmed to adjust the camber and toe

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Right been messing about with the snot this week to get it ready for Pembrey on Sunday (29th July).

I finally got the front braided hoses sorted, all thanks to Bill @ Badger 5, had to pay him a vist tho because the Post Office lost his package.... Was nice to finally meet you & he's given me more ideas :)

Good ridge haven't replied to me after 3 emails asking for measurements of a mk3 Ibiza Cupra & Ibiza Cupra R to compare and see what they have actually sent me.... Whatever they are they don't fit!

Pics of the brakes behind the wheels and the car finally on the floor
562be500.jpg

7183469c.jpg

Removed my old billet camera & solid state recorder to replace it with a GoPro Hero 2
01394368.jpg

And took the one for a spin (all day) to bed in my brakes & take it to Aviva Autos to get my alignment and corner weighted checked.
67bf8543.jpg

This is with me out of the car.... It as been set up to accomdate myself in the car! Was flicking between 977-979Kgs

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Well for some reason I need to wear some form of overalls at this track day in Pembrey, race suit or even mechanics overalls will do.

So one a look out on eBay I came across this go kart suit for £25. Will do the job, since it will be the only time I will be using it.

22c3811d.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Lol I'm not in work, got 3 weeks off.

Yea pop down, I want some good photos... Still haven't sorted a massive picture to go on my kitchen/dinner wall :)

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Pembrey went very well.... Spent the whole week under the Ibiza and checking stuff over & getting everything as I wanted it. Had no problems all day expect on my last session where I started to get a misfire but when I got home it was fine, so going to change the coil pack first I think. Leads & plugs are new so the coil pack is the oldest out of the ignition side.

Here's two short videos.... First one is chasing a 320bhp Fiat fitted with a 20vT lump from a Fiat Coupe and the second video shows a few flat out laps and a twickie moment when I overtake the mx-5 going into Honda Curve.

Just keep in mind I'm only allow to over take on one of the two straights and only when the car in front pulls over to the right... I had a telling off in the morning for overtaking else where.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/dave_cymru/ByeByeArbath.mp4

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/dave_cymru/LittleMoments.mp4

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise