paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
Was it the spark plug at fault then? Id be wanting to find out what caused this if it was mine,

not sure i think was a valve as they were supertech but not the inconel ones im now using them on the next rebuild the other 3 cylinders were fine. im hoping can get the 6758 repaired waiting on issam to get a reply off borgwarner :) the car was running sweet immense power but everything happens for a reason :(

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
there just the standard range plugs ive started stripping the 2 heads going to get the valves fitted with new stem seals and the head skimmed if needed, i had brought some new plugs br8eix but wouldnt fit as plug socket was to thick :( exhaust is 3" turbo back with tiny back box, also my egt are not going above 820 even when giving it some. just gutted as put time and money into this and this happens :(

std heat range plugs???? your kidding? :doh: Thats nuts

backpressure I refer to is not exhaust related Paul... but manifold/turbo hotside related... ie backpressure acting against the back of the exhaust valves (against the springs) - there was a reason you needed a stiffer actuator. think about it.

820'c is post turbine paul, so dont keep thinking thats ok relative to the 920'egt fuel dump zone on stock hardware.. which has egt sensor in the turbo's throat... ie Hotter measurement there than where yours is mounted.

Are there any marks in the piston crows and squish deck area on the head? Looked like there was some marks in the other combustion chamber on the pictures, but I cant be 100% from your images.

bad luck, but please bare these suggestion in mind, else it will happen again!

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
not sure i think was a valve as they were supertech but not the inconel ones im now using them on the next rebuild the other 3 cylinders were fine. im hoping can get the 6758 repaired waiting on issam to get a reply off borgwarner :) the car was running sweet immense power but everything happens for a reason :(

not inconel exhaust valves?
why?

:hide:

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
I don't want to be rude Paul and don't take this the wrong way but this would not be a suprise to me that this has happened.

Standard heat range plugs, non inconel valves, HIGH EGT's. I'm REALLY suprised that a mapper has not picked up on the high EGT's??

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
std heat range plugs???? your kidding? :doh: Thats nuts

backpressure I refer to is not exhaust related Paul... but manifold/turbo hotside related... ie backpressure acting against the back of the exhaust valves (against the springs) - there was a reason you needed a stiffer actuator. think about it.

820'c is post turbine paul, so dont keep thinking thats ok relative to the 920'egt fuel dump zone on stock hardware.. which has egt sensor in the turbo's throat... ie Hotter measurement there than where yours is mounted.

Are there any marks in the piston crows and squish deck area on the head? Looked like there was some marks in the other combustion chamber on the pictures, but I cant be 100% from your images.

bad luck, but please bare these suggestion in mind, else it will happen again!

hi bill i will bare it in mind, and niki has mapped in the fuel dump thing i dont know how it works but i trust his mapping, where would you mount the egt gauge, the 820 is maxing out the revs at 8k, will be back at camp in a few days so will look again when im back,

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
I don't want to be rude Paul and don't take this the wrong way but this would not be a suprise to me that this has happened.

Standard heat range plugs, non inconel valves, HIGH EGT's. I'm REALLY suprised that a mapper has not picked up on the high EGT's??

i had uprated valves so i thougt they were ok ;( didnt know there were two sorts you can use :( the egt are not high and fuel dump has been put into the map, with regards to the plugs got a friend pushing 450 in a golf with 100 shot of nos and hes using they same plugs as me with no problems think its the exhuast valve thats caused all the carnage :(

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come

i run nos its not been ran on the rollers yet and logged was only a small jet so thought would be fine, the nos hasnt caused the damage its the valve ;( i had brought some new br8eix but couldnt get them to fit, ive learnt from my lesson i no its going to be and expensive lesson but learnt to upgrade the valves to the inocel ones, should i get new inlets too?

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
i run nos its not been ran on the rollers yet and logged was only a small jet so thought would be fine, the nos hasnt caused the damage its the valve ;( i had brought some new br8eix but couldnt get them to fit, ive learnt from my lesson i no its going to be and expensive lesson but learnt to upgrade the valves to the inocel ones, should i get new inlets too?

Its heat that has caused the valve to fail more than likely.

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
Tell me about it. Im left driving a 1.9 dci laguna after my turbo failure, However its saving me a **** load of money, thet'll promply be spent on the LCR lol

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Hindsight... We live and learn and I'm sure you'll learn from this and make the engine more robust and safer when using those figures.

Either way Paul, I admire the fact that you've made that big power step. It's unfortunate that the engine failed, considering the expense, but I hope it all works out and that it doesn't put you off the car.

James :)

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
Hindsight... We live and learn and I'm sure you'll learn from this and make the engine more robust and safer when using those figures.

Either way Paul, I admire the fact that you've made that big power step. It's unfortunate that the engine failed, considering the expense, but I hope it all works out and that it doesn't put you off the car.

James :)

Hi mate yeah i have learnt from my lesson and i'm now going large port head so more gains possible:)
This mistake has cost me a lot, the old engine was upgraded but not enough and ive found out the hard way, when ordering parts for 1st engine build thought upgraded valves would be good enough but seems not :( and its not put me off just made me think of more upgrades can do for the car :)
and had a chat with graham the guy building the 4wd leon and i may now go with uprated cams when put car back together :)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

paul, not being rude, so please dont take this the wrong way...

You did'nt know the difference between the valves to use and those not to use, did'nt know proper heat range plugs to use for your power output, used nos without checking it on the dyno to see if the maps up to it, yet you "know" its the exhaust valve which caused it. the question is what "caused" it to break..

EGT's
Manifold Pressures - T25 flanged unit (small) 400+bhp + NOS......
Det (as there are some signs of det on the pictures on the other cyl)

It can all happen so quick as to not see it coming. I know as its happened to me, and yes we all learn from it. whoever sold you stainless exhaust valves for your spec motor mis-sold you (IF) they knew your build.

EGT's post turbine are some 100-150'c Less than pre-turbine temps, Fuel dump is inherant in the ecu anyhows.. triggered in stock installs at 920'c (pre turbine in turbo housing) - yes niki mapped it to add fuel... but if he has'nt seen it on NOS who knows what would be going on?!?! Stock plugs is just daft idea and extremely ill advised no matter what your "mate" runs..

Stainless inlet valves should be fine. I run these.
Inconel exhaust valves should be used on turbo 1.8t (stainless on non-turbo application)

Get your motor checked out on niki's dyno with nos so he can make sure its going to run safe under nos

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.