20vt Engine Conversion..

JordanMk3

WackyColouredWheelsFTW
Jan 18, 2010
Little Hulton, Manchester
Hey guys.. How much do you reckon it would cost to do a 20valve engine conversion from my 1.4..
I know some people are going to say 'Just buy a cupra' and I dont blame them.. but I love the colour of my car, and just the fact its my first car, and it has sentimental value..
I got an insurance quote on a cupra, and it comes up at £2400... Adrian Flux with an engine conversion in mine £2000 ;) That didnt help anything, as its only made me want to do it more..

So how much do you reckon for a complete engine swap.. Would it be worth keeping my eye out for a written off cupra and buying that for all the bits?

Help me please guys.. And if anyone knows of any threads of people that have done it before, that would be a massive help..
Cheers guys :)

You can pick aug engines up cheap from golfs etc off eBay

It's just a case of being in the right place at the right time

If you or a mate etc can do the work it would b cheap enough

I've done vr6 into a mk2 golf for less than 500 quid with mates and martyns estate 20vt is under 800 quid

Its cool when people stick big engines in little cars :)

cuprawill

Turbo lag is foreplay
Nov 20, 2009
As per Tom. Find a crashed one. Brakes are often over looked but very important! I ran brembo's on my Cupra. One of the best mods I did.

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
You can buy a golf gti turbo these days fir less than a grand. So there you go.

To do it in bits your talking. Engine £150-£300, turbo ko3 £60-£100, gearbox £150, loom £50, brakes £100, ecu £50-£100, gearlinkage £30-£40, exhuast probly need a custom exhuast £250-£450. Rad £40. Engine mounts are probly in a different place?? So theres them.

Id buy a golf and swapped it over as you go along ;)

Last edited:

JordanMk3

WackyColouredWheelsFTW
Jan 18, 2010
Cheers lads.. Sounds cheaper than I originally thought.. If I get a rear end damage one for instance.. Can I cut the engine mounts off the cupra, and weld them in? Or do I need custom mounts and that? Im a complete noob when it comes to this.. So the silly questions are actually the most serious ones :p

Yeah, thats why I was thinking about buying a full car.. Because I can swap the brakes over, seats, and all that..

Zippyobrien

Jul 22, 2012
I've seen cheap cupra for 600-800 quid that are tatty.

No need to weld any mounts just swap the whole front subframe ect over. Bet you could do it in a weekend now problem.

May 25, 2008
cambs
I'd seriously look for a cupra over a golf as the Ibiza wiring loom would be easier to swap over rather than trying to mod your one to a 20vt engine loom
If that makes sense

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
Reason i mention a golf is there cheaper, ibizas dont pop up every week for under a grand. The loom cant be too different surely. Shouldnt need to mod it to much as itll be going in with the golf engine. Maybe for the clocks but id think the lights and switches are all the same connectors??

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch
Don't know what the spec difference is between your car and a cupra but are you going to swap all suspension (ie beams if different arbs etc) brakes, interior?, clocks and obviously the engine?

If your gonna change all that I think it's a waste of time but if for instance you have already uprated suspension arbs etc then still alot to do but not as ridiculous in my opinion

It's nice to see somert different once in a while go for it do it

Be a right sleeper

If I didn't have my Cupra I buy a 1.7 puma and track it as they handle amazingly (even standard) just to be different

If you build it up yourself (or have alot to do with the build) it will mean more to you than just going an buying one! Give you laughs headache heartache but when it's done it will be a experience most won't ever have and wish they could.
So if you have the time money space tools I'd say go for it ;)

Even of it just to shut some people up lol

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch
I just dont see the point in building something that already exists its alot of hard work,makes it harder of u have to send it to a garage to be repaired as we all no they just quote reg numbers etc

If for instance it was a mk3 golf then yes as they didn't put the 1.8T in it and I'd love love that spec

JordanMk3

WackyColouredWheelsFTW
Jan 18, 2010
I just dont see the point in building something that already exists its alot of hard work,makes it harder of u have to send it to a garage to be repaired as we all no they just quote reg numbers etc

If for instance it was a mk3 golf then yes as they didn't put the 1.8T in it and I'd love love that spec

I know what you mean mate.. But I want something different, and as you can see from my sig pic, my car already stands out.. And now, all it's missing is the speed.. Have also debated a vr6, but there's nothing like being thrown in the back of your seat when boost kicks in.. And the 20vT can be thrown in, in a few days.. Would be a decent project tbh

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch
Would be far easier and prob cheaper (unless you're just whacking the engine in and not worrying about the rest) to buy a cupra and 'make that stand out'

I know what you mean my first car was a 306dturbo 10years ago and I spent fortune on it bodywork,stereo and fmic etc then I realised I was better buying a gti6!

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch
Still think you are mad but it's your car and my opinion

Good luck mate do a readers ride and update all progress as it happens

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise