Havent we been here before? Rear wheel bearing?

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
Im getting awful droning noises from the rear of my 1.4.

i checked my bearings but i wasnt sure if there was another set behind the drum?? and didnt want to start pulling the drum apart, because i hate brakes.

Im pretty sure its not rubbing on my coilovers or anything.

Someone has suggested it may be tyre related.

Confirmation on the rear wheel bearing will be great aswell as any other suggestions on what the droning could be.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Traditionally there are two bearings on any wheel, one on the front of the hub/drum, one on the rear. However, the normal test (wobbling the wheel) checks both front and rear bearings as you're moving the drum in relation to the stub axle.

Rubbing would leave a mark, either a clean spot or a dirty spot (depending on how well you look after your car :) )

Tyres would be my thought as well, if you swap the tyres front to back does the droning change?

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
Traditionally there are two bearings on any wheel, one on the front of the hub/drum, one on the rear. However, the normal test (wobbling the wheel) checks both front and rear bearings as you're moving the drum in relation to the stub axle.

Rubbing would leave a mark, either a clean spot or a dirty spot (depending on how well you look after your car :) )

Tyres would be my thought as well, if you swap the tyres front to back does the droning change?

ooh right so looks like i got to take off my drums.

Hmmm i havent thought about switching over the tyres...i do have an odd pair on the rear, that could be a possibility...

If it had to be mechanical i could only assume the bearing, however on inspection, the wobbling wheel wasnt the side that was droning, Wobbling wheel now fixed*

Any idea on how to remove rear drums?

Im more of electrical guy rather a wrenchman

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Drums come off fairly easily - but do buy a haynes manual, it's invaluable for a starting point

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I'm an IT geek, I just work on the theory that it can't get any worse after I've had a go!

I'm afraid I can't help with the drum removal, I know they are a PITA from cars I've had that have them. It should only be one bolt, but actually getting the drum off the shoes is horrible.

F2 Ed

now has VAG com
Nov 5, 2006
www.superlite-wheels.com
drum comes off easy if you don't have the handbrake on lol

Tap off the metal cap in the middle of the drum & use pliers to pull the metal pin out. Then undo the big nut and the drum is free to be pulled off. Don't drop the bearing when you do this, they are held in with rubber rings though so shouldnt fall out.

You'll need a new pin when you put them back together

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I usually found that as the drum wears, a lip starts to appear. Then as the shoes adjust themselves, they fit tightly behind the lip...

Although I guess it's always been on reasonably old cars with a fair bit of mileage gone through the wheels.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members