Oil consumption - 2009 FR

KFC91

Feb 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
www.facebook.com
So, as a female I am guilty of not regularly checking my oil. Today my mum was away with my car and the oil light came on. My dad checked the oil about 10 minutes after she was home, on a flat bit of road. Nothing on the dipstick at all. This happened last time as well. So we have now filled it up with 1.5L of oil...and it is only now starting to show.

Has anyone else seen this before? My oil was changed during my last service in April and although it was obviously low...is it seriously as low as that!?

Or...does this model (2009 59 plate Ibiza FR DSG) just take some time to level off...

Help?? :)

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Could be the dreaded oil drinking issue?

Might be worth a trip to the dealers to get a formal oil consumption test carried out

Dec 3, 2009
Same year as my car. Just take it to the dealers and ask them about the oil consumption and tell them to get in contact with SEAT HQ or you can email/phone SEAT HQ to get answers.

Oil Consumption test:
They would top up the oil and tell you to rebook it when you reach 1000miles for a test to check if your car is consuming alot of oil (4 days for SEAT HQ to reply back to dealers to tell them what to do), if so they would again rebook your car in for further testing (which they need the car for a week) and they will send a report to SEAT HQ and then rebook your car again for engine parts changing (which they need the car for two weeks). All done under warranty though!

I'm currently in this process of getting my engine parts replaced.

My post about my oil consumption
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=354326

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
So, as a female I am guilty of not regularly checking my oil. Today my mum was away with my car and the oil light came on. My dad checked the oil about 10 minutes after she was home, on a flat bit of road. Nothing on the dipstick at all. This happened last time as well. So we have now filled it up with 1.5L of oil...and it is only now starting to show.

Has anyone else seen this before? My oil was changed during my last service in April and although it was obviously low...is it seriously as low as that!?

Or...does this model (2009 59 plate Ibiza FR DSG) just take some time to level off...

Help?? :)

Not on the MKV forum much i see?
This issue is littered throughout this section, surprised you haven't come across it before.

Hopefully you can get it repaired at your local SEAT place, if its still under warranty. Although i very much doubt they would get away with turning you away.

Repairs are new piston rings or a whole new engine if bores are scored (what i had done)
s

Last edited:

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
I too have a 09 fr. full of problems with misfiring. It has full stage 2 setup now with intercooler and itg intake. Also its a decat.

Never had oil consumtion problems until the last 2k miles. My exhaust smokes a bit now but i had that put down to the decat downpipe. Now after seeing when it smokes since i was driving behind my own car for the first time i now think it is consuming oil and has a piston ring problem. Seats stance is that unless it fails a compression test then they wont do anything about it.

Btw it smokes when coasting to a junction with foot off accelerator and then a sharp prod on the accelerator to start speeding up again.

Warrenty runs out december so will be booking it in this month to try and get the new engine I've been pushing for for over a year now

Deleted member 35176

I too have a 09 fr. full of problems with misfiring. It has full stage 2 setup now with intercooler and itg intake. Also its a decat.

Never had oil consumtion problems until the last 2k miles. My exhaust smokes a bit now but i had that put down to the decat downpipe. Now after seeing when it smokes since i was driving behind my own car for the first time i now think it is consuming oil and has a piston ring problem. Seats stance is that unless it fails a compression test then they wont do anything about it.

Btw it smokes when coasting to a junction with foot off accelerator and then a sharp prod on the accelerator to start speeding up again.

Warrenty runs out december so will be booking it in this month to try and get the new engine I've been pushing for for over a year now

You expect a new engine, under warranty with all those mods?

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands

Good luck to that.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
Thing is. Oil consumption has been bout 1/2 the dipstick in 10k. Which is the most its ever bn but not like other people. It isa slight blueish colour but very faint indeed. Its more whiteish/grey than blue so i cnt quite work out whats going on

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
Thing is. Oil consumption has been bout 1/2 the dipstick in 10k. Which is the most its ever bn but not like other people. It isa slight blueish colour but very faint indeed. Its more whiteish/grey than blue so i cnt quite work out whats going on

1/2 a dipstick in 10k? That's barely anything compared to some other people's, will be surprised if seat say that it's out with their allowances! The smoke will be a combination of the map, decat most likely

Mar 13, 2010
The dipstick itself is only 1 litre, so half a litre in 10k is pretty good and about average for any car.

sk4tec

Mar 8, 2011
I find that the oil consumption goes up quite high in the last two months before a service. I spoke to an engineer (not a VAG technician) who told me oil is quite thin towards the end of its life and in turbo cars and easily gets into the turbo and burnt up.

Also its worth taking the reading from a hot engine (as per manual). It certainly makes it easier to read on the dip stick. I check my 2.0 TFSi every 1,000 miles. I usually top up about every 2-3,000. I think its criminal that Seat don't put a level sensor when my MK IV Golf GTi had one.

Last edited:

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
O.P had never said how long it took the car to use the oil, so a bit hard to judge if an issue or not.

VAG would say 0.5l within 1,000km is within tolerance and anything less is acceptable. So according to VAG your car can use 5l over 10,000km and that's acceptable.

These engines will hold 3.6litres of oil and the light will let you use as much as 2 litres before coming on in some cars, so if you don't dip your oil regularly you could be running up to 50% less oil than full. This isn't desirable, but on Briskoda on the Fabia's with same engine there are also those who have topped with too much frequency which isn't healthy at all. If it's just a little the car will tend to burn off the excess and then people top another 0.5l and can lead people to think they have an oil burner.

One of the big problems is the vague instructions from VAG for accurate dipping - check your handbook. Warm the car, wait a a bit and dip. Hot and cold dipping can vary a lot, but Cold is not considered accurate. How warm is warm, and how long is wait a bit, noone knows.

I am actually running 0W30 Castrol Edge FST at the moment which allows the oil temp to sit about 5degrees cooler than normal under most conditions, if the weather gets really cold then it starts to use a little bit more but otherwise fine.

0.5-1 litres every 10km being used approx, which is good going.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.