Flashing glow plug light? Please help..

Carver3689

Hi ladies and Gents,

Im new to this site and i am in need of a little help if possible.

I have used the search button but i cant seem to find any previous posts where someone has had the exact same problem as me.

I have a 2007 (57) leon FR 2.0 TDI which i have owned for about 3 month. I have been loving the car until about 2 weeks ago when the glow plug light started flashing and i lost power. It just so happens at the time that i was going for a little run up the coast and the problem went away until tonight. (at that time i ran the tank to 5 mile left before i filled so i just thought it might have sucked up rubbish from the bottom of the tank)

The glow plug light flashes, the display says 'engine fault workshop', i lose a lot of power which i am assuming is the turbo not coming in and when i drive it the car only revs to 2000rpm before i have to change gear. I must admit i did run the tank to '10 mile left' before i filled again tonight which i must stop doing but surely this isnt the problem is it?

Does anybody have any ideas what this could be? is it going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Many thanks.

Carver3689

Little update. Went out for a little drive tonight and it was still flashing but this time the old girl let me rev to 3000rpm however, still no turbo.

Has anybody had the same problem?

As i read through the forum its obvious this is a common problem. Would i be right in thinking there is no particular part of the car that the flashing glow plug light is referring to?

I will keep everybody updated as i think ultimately this is going to lead to me having to take into a dealer to have a laptop plugged in

Carver3689

Do you think it is a good idea andrew to have the DPF removed? is there any negatives of doing this? i hear it gives you more bhp and better fuel economy.

Drove the car today and light is no more and power is back so i dont know wether to keep driving it or get it checked out

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Will it even have a dpf being a 2007 car? Also it will have a dpf light not the flashing glow plug light.

To get to the bottom of this go and have the cars fault codes read.

Carver3689

Yes it does have a dpf. Does anybody have an idea how much it is going to cost to get the fault codes read?

I am around the newcastle area if there are any members that can do this for a price :)

milsom

Mar 19, 2012
Wales
I drove my leon FR TDi home other week and I had the glow plug light come on and car went in to limp home mode, lost power etc. It happened while in cruse control. Only light I had flashing was the glow plug light. turned engine off and left it for a minuet... started it back up and never had the problem again! Had my injectors changed not long after that and then My DPF light came on and had to go into Seat for a Regen.!!

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Yes it does have a dpf. Does anybody have an idea how much it is going to cost to get the fault codes read?

I am around the newcastle area if there are any members that can do this for a price :)

One of your egt sensors are away buddy. Best to get fault code read to find out which one. £100+ for each sensor. I've went through every sensor.

Carver3689

The problem is now coming and going. I would say 1 in 3 drives the light is flashing and no power.

Think i will just book it in to get the fault codes read.

Thanks for the info BIGG. Is that the temp sensor for exhaust? how many are there?

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
The problem is now coming and going. I would say 1 in 3 drives the light is flashing and no power.

Think i will just book it in to get the fault codes read.

Thanks for the info BIGG. Is that the temp sensor for exhaust? how many are there?

There are 3 mate. 1 before turbo, 1 just after turbo and 1 in downpipe

bigsteve

Hi guys i also had the same prob with my fr tdi on sunday i had just done 120 miles on a clear motorway stopped to pay at dartford tunnel on pulling away big loss of power & flashing glow plug light limped to south mimms service station turned the car of for 15 mins the car was fine on restarting & iv'e had no further probs

Carver3689

Thats what happened to me about 2 weeks ago Bigsteve. Problem disappeared and i forgot all about it but now it has come back with a vengance and i dont think its going away this time. I can be driving and it will appear, turn the engine off and on and it would be fine again for so many miles.

Why do things like this happen when your skint!

I will be getting mine plugged in probably in the next week or so, i will keep you updated big steve.

milsom

Mar 19, 2012
Wales
After my car went in limp mode... Seat plugged it in and said there were no fault codes... :/

Carver3689

Thats what im afraid of milsom. Im hoping this isnt one of those mysterious problems that cant be identified by SEAT and im not forever replacing expensive parts that do not need replacing until the problem goes.

Do you's think any garage could read the fault codes or is it only SEAT that have the equipment to do it?

bigsteve

I was hoping that was the end of it now i fear the worst the car has been great since the injectors were changed & they were the only prob iv,e had with the car in 5 years since new keep me updated please bud & lets hope its not to costly to put right

milsom

Mar 19, 2012
Wales
Yeah, I've had no problems till the injectors were changed!!! Car even went into limp mode this morning on the way to work for no reason... Just had the flashing glow plug light and lost all power, turned engine off and it was fine then!!!
Could it be my DPF pressure sensor?.... is this built into the EGT sensors ?

n0ble

Sep 14, 2006
Read what BIGG is advising you.
It will most likely be one of your egt sensors.

Also it will have stored the fault, Seat are not looking hard enough.
They need to do a full scan to find logged fault.

ShockHorror

Hi, I've recently purchased a 06 Seat Leon FR TDI and am getting this same problem.

I'm wondering if it's been solved?

The injectors were changed a couple of month before I bought the car as like 'milsom' so I wonder if that's related.

Light seems to flash on the motorway, loss of power, engine cut out etc.

Had a diagnostic done at a Seat Dealer was told it's the 'Charge Pressure Control Valve Below Control Unit' and was recommended a new Boost Sensor, Software Update and a Wiring Harness.

I've had the Boost sensor and update done but still get the problem.

Booked it in for this Friday for the Map sensor to ECU Wiring Harness that their confident will fix it... I'm not so sure.

I know this is an old post, but I hope you will reply.

Cheers.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Sounds like it's struggling to make boost, could be a multitude of things.... But let them do the wiring and see. There should be fault codes about the map sensor though if it actually is that.....

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
I have been doing short journeys as am off work at the moment.

The dpf light came on but I was to ill to do the regen as am unwell.

So I left the car on the drive for a couple of days.

Now today I went to do the regen and after 5 mins a error came on the dash light saying engine workshop?

Now have I messed my car up? It's in limp mode is there anyway to get this sorted without going to a garage?

It's my fault I suppose for leaving the car on my drive without doing the regen ASAP.

Soon as it went into limp mode I came straight home.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.