Bluefin remap on brand new Leon Cupra R

chris128

May 2, 2010
N.E Lincolnshire
hi :)

Just got my new Cupra R on Friday, done 500 miles in it already so I'm thinking in a week or so when its properly run in n I've done about 1500 miles I'll get the oil changed and then get it re-mapped. I've been searching the forums and I've got a few questions from the things I've read:

1. What is an FL Cupra? Is mine an "FL" because its brand new?
2. People seem to keep mentioning the clutch being weak on newer Cupras - can anyone see that being a problem with a stage 1 Bluefin remap? Some suggest that Bluefin is one of the more gentle remaps so I'm hoping not.
3. I'm sure I read somewhere that on newer Cupras you couldn't just upload your own ECU map via the diagnostics port like you used to be able to. Can anyone confirm? Bluefin/Superchips have said that if they send me the device and it won't work then they'll happily give me my money back but if everyone says there's no point even trying on a newly built Cupra then I probably won't bother.
4. Anyone know any insurance companies that aren't going to f**k me for having a re-map that adds about 40 bhp? Best quote I've had so far is £2000 from Admiral. Adrian Flux won't even insure me on it without the remap :(
5. Anyone else had a bluefin remap done on their Cupra? I'd love to hear your experiences with it

Thanks!
Chris

Al

Aug 29, 2005
1) FL is 2009 onward
2) It is weaker for sure. It will last longer if driven sensibly
3) Sounds like you have nothing to lose. Newer cars are locked down though.
4) you are a tit if you don't declare a remap. If you run down a wee kid and it's found your car is not what you said it was when the Police and Insurance check it, you will be up for severe punishment.
5) Plenty reviews on here and quite a few negative ones among them to be fair. The idea/principal of the bluefin is sound though.

chris128

May 2, 2010
N.E Lincolnshire
thanks for the reply, but where did I suggest I was thinking about not declaring the remap? I'm asking for recommendations for insurers that will accept me having a remap - surely that's the exact opposite of implying I'm not going to tell an insurance company. When I said Adrian Flux won't insure me without it (I haven't got it yet, so of course I'm not going to declare it yet), I mean they won't insure me without it so there's no way they will insure me with it. Sorry but I'm probably the only person out of all my friends that year after year keeps paying ridiculous insurance premiums (insurance on my motorbike is well over a grand and on my last car was £1400 the first year and £900 this last year) because I'm actually honest and declare everything, so I'd hate for anyone to think I'm the kind of person that would hide something to get a cheaper deal.

I haven't come across any negative reviews of the bluefin yet, so I'll have another search - but I have come across a few negatives for the REVO remap on the Cupra R so that's put me off them. Anyone in particular you would recommend?
EDIT: OK after reading this thread I see what you mean about a few people not being happy with the BlueFin on the Cupra R http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=353361&highlight=bluefin&page=5
but then I read elsewhere that there's problems with the REVO one too (too aggressive or something?) so has anyone actually got a new Cupra R with a decent stage one remap that they can recommend?

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
LCR ECU isnt locked Al mine and a few others have been flashed via OBD2

In my opinion these maps such as Bluefin, Superchips etc are Ok but there not what i would call top maps

Go APR or REVO or Go Home

Last edited:

chris128

May 2, 2010
N.E Lincolnshire
LCR ECU isnt locked Al Both mine and Irfans have been flashed via OBD2

In my opinion these maps such as Bluefin, Superchips etc are Ok but there not what i would call top maps

Go APR or REVO or Go Home

Ah ok thanks for confirming the ECU isn't locked :)

I'm not fussed about it being the most powerful map out there or anything really, just anything that will improve performance and delivery noticeably I'll be happy with :) Just had a look on the APR website and they don't even list the Cupra R as being a car they have a map for, which puts me off a little lol

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
Just on. If insurance note try a broker called Brentacre. They don't charge extra for mods like suspension, alloys etc etc. Only thing that does put it up is remaps . BUT I rang about my cupra being stage 1 and they quoted me an extra 95 quid a year.

I currently pay 587 fully comp

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Last edited:

chris128

May 2, 2010
N.E Lincolnshire
Just on. If insurance note try a broker called Brentacre. They don't charge extra for mods like suspension, alloys etc etc. Only thing that does put it up is remaps . BUT I rang about my cupra being stage 1 and they quoted me an extra 95 quid a year.

I currently pay 587 fully comp

Thanks :) I'll take a look. Doubt mine will be anywhere near that cheap but if its less than £2K then its a start lol

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
This was where I ended up lol http://www.apr-remaps.co.uk/vehicles/seat.php

Just had a look at the link you posted - 322 BHP from a stage one sounds a bit crazy lol if REVO and superchips both get theirs to 300 BHP it seems like the APR one must be a bit overly aggressive if it gets an additional 22 BHP on top of that

REVO have updated there code since APR came back to UK

chris128

May 2, 2010
N.E Lincolnshire
Have they? Their website still says 300 bhp for their stage 1 Cupra R remap. Do you know if this new version fixes the problems that people complained about with the original one being too aggressive (sure I read in a thread on here that it had damaged something)?

You've got the APR stage one map on yours right? How do you find it?

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I think it fixed a few problems but i cant really comment as ive never had a REVO map, Speak to Al, BIGG Addicted or Craig D

my APR Map, 2 Words .........Love It

i am however going Stage2 soon because i want to

chris128

May 2, 2010
N.E Lincolnshire
lol ok, so no negatives at all? What's the delivery like, mostly down low or mostly up top or smooth all the way through etc? Also how much did it cost in total, they don't seem to show a price on their website which is annoying

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Smooth delivery through the rev range, No Neagatives at all

Contact APR UK HQ for prices or a dealer like Awesome GTI

Last edited:

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
I couldn't fault bluefin when I had their map, their customer care is brilliant too and they are always happy to help. I'm APR stage 2 atm and its brilliant, the only reason I would go bluefin over apr is the price, if you can get a second hand handset from ebay that's been reset then you are laughing as it will cost less than half of any other map.

If you want pure performance then APR is your best bet. Bluefin if you want value for money and something a little aggressive on the clutch.

Last edited:

chris128

May 2, 2010
N.E Lincolnshire
Thanks for the input - did you have a bluefin remap on a FL Cupra R then? It seems like everyone on the TDIs or regular 2.0 TSI petrols are happy with bluefin remaps but not the people with Cupras. Also why do you say its heavy on the clutch? I thought with bluefin being a less aggresive map overall it would be better on the clutch than any of the others

Last edited:

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
Nope not a Cupra r, on my 'regular' :)blink: ) TSI . Although people with scirocco R's seem to like them which has the same engine as yours. FR_kris had bluefin on his R for a while and enjoyed his stage 1 I think before going stage 2 :)

JonnyF

Jan 4, 2012
A Cupra/Cupra R will map to the same power/torque, I've the new revo code on mine and have no problems with it.

What age are you? Try Greenlight mine is £640 with remap and ITG induction kit limited to 7500k miles. I think it was £680 for approx 9k miles.

I saw logs for the bluefin and it wasn't great, timing pull was anything up to 6.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.