Bluefin remap on brand new Leon Cupra R

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
As Andrew has said, purely from seeing various posts on here and on facebook, sounds like APR or REVO is the way to go on a MK2 LC/LCR. Bluefin aren't so rated and people have upgraded from these to REVO and noticed a fairly big hike in performance.

I woudnn't take the cheaper route with mapping as it's how the car is going to run during your ownership at the end of the day.

I had bluefin on my cupra but I've just taken it off as the clutch was just starting to slip under hard acceleration. I thought the power delivery was quite aggressive and the jabbasport map on our tt is way smoother. If I ave te car mapped ain it will either be jabbasport or apr. mine was mapped for 32k and other than the clutch it hasn't had a problem, I've also had a focus, old and a3 all with bluefin.

The benefit of bluefin is you can take it off for warranty work but in the 10 years I've had bluefin I bet I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've removed it. Superchips customer service is very good though. Insurance wise try A plan in , they cover all 3 of our cars my cupra is £480 a year, all mods declared 10k a year and I'm 39.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
i see this alot on forums

People come on who have had there car remapped by a local company, the person has never had a car remapped before in his/her life, they get the map done and of course the car feels alot better, they come on praising the company from the high hills. they tell people it was alot cheaper than REVO/APR/Sha.rk so

in reality the map provided could be the worlsd sh1ttest map but because the car feels better in the persons head its the best thing since sliced bread (ive been here myself was convinced that my JBS DPF Delete was 235bhp that they qouted)

im no technician or anything but ive been listening to alot of people recently who do alot of logging etc and alot of the maps out there these days are cr4p

Last edited:

chris128

May 2, 2010
N.E Lincolnshire
What age are you? Try Greenlight mine is £640 with remap and ITG induction kit limited to 7500k miles. I think it was £680 for approx 9k miles.

Thanks, just filled in an online quote with them and it said they couldn't quote me on it so it would be sent off to their team to be checked to see if they could get a price :( I think the combination of me being 24, having 2 speeding tickets, and doing over 20,000 miles a year just makes insurance very expensive for me... despite having 5 years NCB on my car and 3 years NCB on a motorbike (which is a hell of a lot faster and more dangerous than any car I'm ever going to own!)

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
This was where I ended up lol http://www.apr-remaps.co.uk/vehicles/seat.php

Just had a look at the link you posted - 322 BHP from a stage one sounds a bit crazy lol if REVO and superchips both get theirs to 300 BHP it seems like the APR one must be a bit overly aggressive if it gets an additional 22 BHP on top of that

Thanks, just filled in an online quote with them and it said they couldn't quote me on it so it would be sent off to their team to be checked to see if they could get a price :( I think the combination of me being 24, having 2 speeding tickets, and doing over 20,000 miles a year just makes insurance very expensive for me... despite having 5 years NCB on my car and 3 years NCB on a motorbike (which is a hell of a lot faster and more dangerous than any car I'm ever going to own!)

Im 23, 5 Years NCB on Car, 7 years NCB on Bike

All mods declared LCR, £1100 last year (insurance policy was on my FR,Changed it half way through to LCR),renewal due in september

chris128

May 2, 2010
N.E Lincolnshire
Hmm ok so you guys are putting me off the bluefin idea a bit lol the main reason I like the idea of it is because I can't be arsed to take it 100 miles away to get a remap put on when I could just do it myself with a Bluefin, and also then be able to take it off whenever I wanted. Someone here said they took theirs off because the clutch started to slip - if that happened with a Revo or APR remap then I'd have to get booked in with them and go all the way back (and it could have turned out it wasn't even the remap that was the problem after all that). I'm tempted to just try it for 7 days and see how it is...

When people say the timing pull or whatever is 6s on the bluefin, what does that mean in laymans terms? What effect does it have on the car?

chris128

May 2, 2010
N.E Lincolnshire
Im 23, 5 Years NCB on Car, 7 years NCB on Bike

All mods declared LCR, £1100 last year (insurance policy was on my FR,Changed it half way through to LCR),renewal due in september

That's pretty good! Who are you with? Also how many miles do you do?

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
10k a year with HIC (HIC are part of the Adrian Flux group)

i dont think its to bad, hoping to get it under 1k this year

avendit

Jul 27, 2011
I've a bluefin on my bought-new Fr, so not directly comparable but the new is the same. I chose the BF as I had the impression that it was a little less aggressive (need 100% reliable car just now) and -really important- they have a warranty. So until the car's 3rd birthday I can still take it to seat for servicing and any problems and if they put up any kind of fight 'ooo, its been mapped, that caused your xxxxx failure', the buefin guys will either cover the problem (if it was a failure due to the map) or argue on my side of to claim of the seat warranty.

To be fair I don't think its the best map. I did my own tuning on my last car on an RR (an NA celica that I added a turbo to using an emanage), and it does feel like a timing problem. The throttle response isn't quite as sharp as stock, but just 210bhp in such a heavy car isn't enough for me. Not really argued it with them yet to be fair.

So,
++ ease of use, wipe on, wipe off, warranty, relatively gentle on the car.
-- not the best map out there.

Also, if you are doing any other mods, a proper custom map is obviously going to get a little more out of them than an off the shelf map like the blufin.

insurance wise I'm on an admiral multicar. I have a '20% chip or remap' registered with them and the damage wasn't too bad

Avendit

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2011
Andrew you chat some sh*t sometimes. Apr and revo are clearly leading the race in terms of remapping but that doesn't make every other map bad. I had a generic map previous to revo and obviously not up to that standard but it made the car quicker for a fraction of the cost and I put it at good value for money.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Andrew you chat some sh*t sometimes. Apr and revo are clearly leading the race in terms of remapping but that doesn't make every other map bad. I had a generic map previous to revo and obviously not up to that standard but it made the car quicker for a fraction of the cost and I put it at good value for money.

Where do i say that EVERY other map is bad?

Some proper established companies out there such as DNA Tuning (Race Leon's in the Dunlop Production touring car series) and R-t3ch who are very respected. you can tell just by talking to these guys that they actually know what they are talking about. Sha.rk spent hours tuning my previous PD170 leon i sat there and watched them tinkering on programs and testing stuff

im talking about your everyday cowboy who goes onto a torrent site, downloads maps for cars and then goes around in his van flashing cars, people then come onto forums and say i had this company map my car and its superb pulls really well

At the end of the day

Person 1 buys a map from a cowboy for £150 for his car nad yes it will feel better, 1 year later he decides he wants to have REVO because it will get more power so forks out £500, then pays another £50 to have revo stage2 flashed 6 months later

or he could of just forked out £500 for APR/REVO in the first place

Last edited:

JonnyF

Jan 4, 2012
When people say the timing pull or whatever is 6s on the bluefin, what does that mean in laymans terms? What effect does it have on the car?

It means its detonation/pinking and the 6 is 6 degrees that its pulling the ignition timing back to stop det, it also can lower the boost at the same time so your not getting the most out of the car. Its doing no real harm as the ecu is saving the engine but I'd rather not have it.

I had bluefin on my Focus RS and it was dung on it, peak torque was 4500rpm even though full boost was there from 2800rpm. I think it made 302bhp 320lbft @4500rpm, I changed the map and with 2 psi less boost got 301bhp 340lbft @3200rpm.

I had my leon mapped by a local mapper and timing pull was that bad it was cutting the rpm, they changed the map and I got it checked by a mate and it was 6 degrees low down and 3 top end. I took it back again and got another map and then back to my mate and it was now 6.8 and 4.5 top end, this was all on the same tank of fuel. The mapper was blaming poor quality fuel for my problem.

I then switched to Revo, its now running perfect, the settings used are B7 T4 F9. This is also on the same fuel as before. I only have 97RON here we don't get 99 RON unfortunally. The biggest difference I find is the off boost driving, it seems smoother than before.

If I was you I would take the advice in the posts above speaking from my own experience.

I'd also say that 20k a year is hurting your insurance, Greenlight will see your car as a work horse and probably not quote, they like 25+ and then there those of us that wish we were 25 again lol!

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
for a fraction of the cost and I put it at good value for money.

Oh yeh and if it was value for money.. why did you change to REVO?

Forked out for two maps? therefore probably paid alot more than i have for APR

i can see the OP's thinking behind going Bluefin, if he hasnt got a REVO/APR dealer nearby it makes sense

I have APR HQ round the corner form me so if i ever need the car putting back to standard i only have to travel 2 mins

Last edited:

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
Oh yeh and if it was value for money.. why did you change to REVO?

Forked out for two maps? therefore probably paid alot more than i have for APR

i can see the OP's thinking behind going Bluefin, if he hasnt got a REVO/APR dealer nearby it makes sense

I have APR HQ round the corner form me so if i ever need the car putting back to standard i only have to travel 2 mins

I thought we could put ours back to standard with the cruise control stalk, andrew? The apr manual says mode 1 is "stock" ?

Or is it like revo "stock" where it is just their map but tamed down to standard HP and torque?

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
You probably can Benji

MK2 LCR has a rubbish ECU (Bosch MED9.1),it can only hold one map, so we have tuned and tuned only (Mines running Stage1 98ron map)

Us LCR owners dont get the option of swapping maps on Cruise Control

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
well at first we thought we had a ECU that had to be bench flashed (ECU Taken out and dismantled)

So we where happy to find out it was OBD2 Flashable

Al

Aug 29, 2005
thanks for the reply, but where did I suggest I was thinking about not declaring the remap? I'm asking for recommendations for insurers that will accept me having a remap - surely that's the exact opposite of implying I'm not going to tell an insurance company. When I said Adrian Flux won't insure me without it (I haven't got it yet, so of course I'm not going to declare it yet), I mean they won't insure me without it so there's no way they will insure me with it. Sorry but I'm probably the only person out of all my friends that year after year keeps paying ridiculous insurance premiums (insurance on my motorbike is well over a grand and on my last car was £1400 the first year and £900 this last year) because I'm actually honest and declare everything, so I'd hate for anyone to think I'm the kind of person that would hide something to get a cheaper deal.

I haven't come across any negative reviews of the bluefin yet, so I'll have another search - but I have come across a few negatives for the REVO remap on the Cupra R so that's put me off them. Anyone in particular you would recommend?
EDIT: OK after reading this thread I see what you mean about a few people not being happy with the BlueFin on the Cupra R http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=353361&highlight=bluefin&page=5
but then I read elsewhere that there's problems with the REVO one too (too aggressive or something?) so has anyone actually got a new Cupra R with a decent stage one remap that they can recommend?

You will have been reading stuff from the likes of Poverty (now banned) and one or two of his cronies who spent most of his time ripping the arse out of Revo before Poverty got banned.

Loads of people on here use Revo and and are delighted with it. The benefits of Revo include map adjustability, loads of re-sellers across the UK and the map is nothing like aggressive, especially if you dial in "mild" settings. Before deciding though, you should consider;

1) Price
2) Where it can be done
3) Customer support
4) Scalability of map- ie can the code be upgraded if you modify your car
5) Ability to run a "stock" file
6) Adjustability
7) Performance figures (bhp ftlbs and performance) although to be fair, most of them will be the same or similar.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.