Seat Leon Fr - Cat back Yes/no?

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
you shouldn't get motorway drone on a derv. on my old 1.9 tdi i had the peco system. i only had a back box no other silencers. it sounded ace under acceleration but was just a tad louder than normal under normal driving and you couldn't here it on the motorway.
My brother had a tdi golf with no boxes at all apart from a silly cherry bomb back box which made it sound like a tank when you gave it beans but that was ok on the motorway. it was hardly noticable unless you dropped it a cog and give it some. If you speak to an exhaust builder most will tell you that drone isn't a problem on a diesel.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Not unless you fit a straight pipe like i had, it was Pipe from Turbo to Tip no boxes at all

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
which in my case the K1 exhaust system is straight pipe...... So no silencer would mean VERY LOUD lol.
Im tempted to just get a custom backbox made and connect it to the oem K1 catback system.
This should work on getting a nicer tone and a fraction of the price as miltek want about £500!!!!

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
It will but make sure you tell them its for the TDI then it comes with a reducer gasket

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
Had a 2.5" system fitted last weekend at prospeed exhaust cardiff.
Downpipe/Cat back system.

Unfortunately there is very little/no noise coming from exhaust.
Spoke to Charlie and he said to chop out the rear backbox. This would achieve more power and more noise. Should i go with it?

Here is current system (Back box to the left of the underside of car)
imagekkw.jpg

Let me know
Thanks

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
Can anyone answer my last question?
Removing this backbox on the left underside of car in picture.
Will the car go super loud? ATM there is close to no noise!!! So i need to go back to prospeed =]

Any info will be great
Thanks

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
Willz how many boxes does your car currently have? 1 or 2?

I think there is 2 ( DPF & rear backbox )

DPF gutted so that's 1 gone
Rear backbox still in place as you can see in the picture towards the left of underside of car.

Hope this info makes sense?
Thanks AndrewJB once again ^^

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Well on my car i had the following

Milltek DPF Delete Pipe (No Boxes), Scorpion STR Exhaust (No Boxes) it was 3" from Cat-Back, Downpipe was 2.75" IIRC

It was very very loud and certainly wouldnt pass MOT with the noise

If i was you, remove your parcel shelf and remove your spare wheel, then listen how loud your exhaust is, just because you cant hear it in the car doesnt mean its not loud

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
Mines a 2.5" catback system,
What options do I have then?
I don't want to remove the backbox if it's going to be like thunder lol.

I will also mention to Charlie that you had a 3" catback with no silencers and it was super loud and see what e suggests =]

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
See if he can remove some of the padding in the box that might make it a little louder

But as i said try driving with parcel shelf and spare wheel out, these act as sound deadening

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
Ok thanks for the advice mate =]
Will post how it goes as I have got a slot booked in next Friday.
He said he would remove the egr pipe for me free aswell !!!
Too bloke =D

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Yeh get that removed before it brakes, if it does it will fill engine bay and **** put full of exhaust fumes (could lead to stuff melting and even a fire if your very unlucky)

I drive around with my rear interior stripped out most of the time

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
Heres a better picture i took when i had the system fitted:
imagernv.jpg

As you can see there is 1 box, and im thinking about removing it =/
Does this system look similar to yours? or the one you had on your pd170?

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
It does sound loud especially the first video!
Really worried about the outcome now lol, I will probably just ask for his opinion, and if its too loud tell him to fix it :p Would a smaller backbox do anything?

Im guessing smaller backbox means more sound as its less padding? If you know what i mean^^

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
A smaller backbox is still better than no back box

What you also have to understand is... those videos where taken on my Phone, the phones microphone couldn't pick up the boomyness of the exhaust

ive recently fitted a Scorpion can on my Kawasaki ER6-N, when is started it up for the first time dad said to me that sounds like your old Leon :cartman:

Last edited:

Damon_

Mar 19, 2011
Without sounding harsh.... why does your old Leon sound so bad, and the video i posted above with the same setup sounds awesome?