shocks and springs or coil-overs ?

King_Harold

Jun 30, 2012
Malvern Worcestershire
i am lowering my car and was just wondering if coil-overs or shocks and springs the best way to go about it cheapest coil-overs i can find are ap coil-overs for 500 or front and rear bilstein shocks and 40 mm lowering apex springs for 280 is it worth the extra 120 for coil=overs

t.oldaker

SFS Performance Hoses Rep
Jul 5, 2011
Bournemouth
www.facebook.com
i am lowering my car and was just wondering if coil-overs or shocks and springs the best way to go about it cheapest coil-overs i can find are ap coil-overs for 500 or front and rear bilstein shocks and 40 mm lowering apex springs for 280 is it worth the extra 120 for coil=overs

Apex 35mm springs are only £100 and you can pick up new JOM coilovers for the £285 mark. I've got apex springs on atm but soon going to coilovers as i want to slam it. Up to you. but you may save yourself some money by going for coilies straight up or you may end up like me and paying for them later :)

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
What do you want? If it is handling then the Bilstein shocks and springs will be soooo much better than cheap coilovers.

If it's slamming it then the coilovers will be your best bet but you will suffer a bit less ride quality.

duzza90

C U P R A
Nov 2, 2010
Rotherham
Word of advice with Bilstein Dampers, the gas pressure is higher than in the OE dampers.

I fitted Bilstein B6 Front and Rear Dampers to my Mk4 Ibiza Fr with OE springs in the first place, the result was an increase in rideheight of 25-30mm. So I then fitted 30mm Lowering springs just to achieve standard ride height, they do give superb handling though :D.

Last edited:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Word of advice with Bilstein Dampers, the gas pressure is higher than in the OE dampers.

I fitted Bilstein B6 Front and Rear Dampers to my Mk4 Ibiza Fr with OE springs in the first place, the result was an increase in rideheight of 25-30mm. So I then fitted 30mm Lowering springs just to achieve standard ride height, they do give superb handling though :D.

So stiffer shocks raised your car 30mm Thats impressive since the shock stiffness has nothing to do with ride height :lol:

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
I am guessing the bilstein shocks you refer to are standard or oem equivellent? at that price, Not the shortened version? So unless your shocks are old/worn out, there would be little to gain from changing the shocks:shrug:
To get the full benefits you are best getting matching lowered ones or go the coilover route?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise