smoke from under bonnet

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
ive done a search and can only find threads about pipes popping off,

i went out to my car and started it, let go of the key too early and it just coughed instead of catching. (nothing unusual there) but then smoke started billowing out the bonnet from under the windscreen, i quickly grab the keys out the ignition, and opened the bonnet to find the source, double quick time, on opening the bonnet i found the smoke coming out the scuttle near the ecu, as it was teeming with rain at the time i thought it was drowning, so i pulled off the plastic pannel and the smoke had just dissapated, unable to see the source. i checked the ecu plugs (had to pull off sticky black plastic to get them out) and theyre dry as a bone, and clean as! placed them back and looked for burnt wires but short of ripping all the plastic outers off, i cant see any.

everything works that i can think of, ive vagcom'd the car and found nothing, but needless to say im worryed everytime i start it incase it goes up in flames or when im driving

i also have seen a small trail of smoke out of the wiper stalk at the steering wheel twice in the last few months, but again they work fine, the stalk is difficult to push it up but it does go... i assume theyre not related but could be wrong...

i just really dont want to wake up to a fire ball in the night or when i try to go to work in the morning. without any ideas i can only think of a complete wire inspection/rewire which lets face it is a very very big 'car off the road' for a few days type thing.

any ideas are really very appriciated!
thanks

Last edited:
May 25, 2008
cambs
wiper motor burning out? and the stalk contacts arcing out?? did it defo come from the ecu area?

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
I thought wiper motor after ecu also, but it works on all functions,

From inside the car it was at the bottom of the windscreen area and when I was under the bonnet it was coming thru the plastic panel at the scuttle under the windscreen, but also trailing down the drivers wing, as tho the wire loom that's there was part of it but couldn't see any burnt insulation on wires on the surface of the bundle, couldn't feel any heat from them either,

Cheers for the reply,

keep ideas coming to think through

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
May 25, 2008
cambs
personally i'd split the loom open its easy to do and have a proper look at all the cables (not saying you didnt ) if it was a central cable you might not feel heat until its too late by burning through other cables

Last edited:

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
I hate auto electrics! Lol the weirdest thing of all tho is I've done 80 miles over 3 days, and no sign of anything unusual yet!

But I keep thinking its got to go at some point, do you think checking all the blocks on Vagcom would turn up anything?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
recommend you keep a fire extingusher ready incase.
i would do a full scan off all the modules. check all buttons, knobs are working correctly, inspect all the fuses are not worn or burnt out

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
I checked everything in car at the time, lights, windows, climate cont, gauges, stereo, horn, wipers, washers, etc etc, anything that can be done inside the car works,

Next ill spend a while with vcds n check everything, n source a fire extinguisher, would prefere co2, lot less mess than foam lol

Is there any fuses/relays hidden? I know of top of batt and under dash drivers side,

Last edited:

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Is this really the only two who use this part of the forum that has something to say on this?

Plz guys n gals, any experience of this? Must be something!

Tony 156

Jul 27, 2006
Thatcham
I won't be able to help, but I have had the smoke from the back of the steering wheel too recently.I know my slip ring has failed, has been broken for nearly 3 years now. Changing the slip ring soon so will investigate properly when I do.

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Did your wipers move when you had the smoke?

I've now noticed the wipers start wiping themselves then the smoke comes out between the steering wheel n shroud on the column, thinking it could be the wiper switch, anyone have the part number? N the one for the cruise control?

Last edited:

Tony 156

Jul 27, 2006
Thatcham
No mine didn't set the wipers off. Fixed mine today and had a good look around, no sign of shorting or heat damage. I have no idea why mine was smoking. Will see if it does again now the slip ring is fixed

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
My airbag has no fault, and horn works fine so I reckon nothing wrong with my slip ring,

Think it must be the wiper switch so ill change it and maybe fit cruise control at the same time,

Don't know why there was so much smoke under the bonnet tho..... Think it might be worth changing the motor too?

Last edited:

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
if wiper started working it self, its the stalk then as few people had this issue causing a short to wiper motor and causing it to spark.

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
if wiper started working it self, its the stalk then as few people had this issue causing a short to wiper motor and causing it to spark.

Thank you, that makes sense and now I know its happened before! as being a ten yr old car most things have, its just finding people who know!

I'll investigate a new stalk,

Do you think it could have shorted the motor causing the smoke from the scuttle? Tho it works fine still?

cuprawill

Turbo lag is foreplay
Nov 20, 2009
As for the smoke from the stalk. I had the same the contacts go in the wiper stalk not an uncommon fault. Ring up Dave at sere motors a new one cost £50 for the slip ring and both stalks

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Thank you, that makes sense and now I know its happened before! as being a ten yr old car most things have, its just finding people who know!

I'll investigate a new stalk,

Do you think it could have shorted the motor causing the smoke from the scuttle? Tho it works fine still?

I think the motor be fine, but it can fail very soon as you may have burnt out motor coils, i just replace it for peice of mine for another

if you gettin cruise control you most likley have to change both stalks i think, to due fitment.

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Yeh I know I have to change both stalks, but since ones off its worth it lol will look for a motor from a breaking cupra, think new may be silly money,

Thanks guys, good to know its happened before

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.