Basics i'll need to keep my car looking its best?

M18nye

Aug 19, 2012
Birmingham
So, I have just bought myself a lovely Seat Leon 2.0TDI. Looking at keeping it for a while and want to look after it. Im a mechanic so all that side of things is pretty much looked after. But the paint work I want it looking goof and don't plan on taking this car to the local £2 car wash. So what products ect do you recomend for a good weekly wash and then for a polish ect every 6 month.

Many Thanks in advance

Deleted member 77040

autosmart tardis - tar remover, its spot on everyone loves this
Autoglym fast glass - glass cleaner
there two things i would recommend and i know they work well! everyone uses different Car soap and polish/wax etc. so just depends on your preference, I like dodo juice products but they can be quite expensive compared to some.

jackoni

Sep 1, 2012
Newtownards NI
Best bet if you have nothing is get one of them Autoglym packs,comes in a red or black bag and has all the basics you will need and from that then buy other stuff when that runs out till you have a package of products that you like working with. i bought my GF one of these and she loves it :)

Comes with (if i can remember)

tar remover
glass cleaner
polish
sealent
bumper trim
shampoo

Steve Leon

Most important things if you have not done so already is ditch the sponge for a wash mit (sheepskin or noodle mit) get a good drying towel in place of chamois leather, and use the two bucket method, spend some time and have a look at detailing world, a wealth of information,

The actual products are a personal thing, I never use mine all up always wanting to try something new, wax products are different depending on your car colour

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
Have a look online at AutoBright Direct and Chemical Guys... both do cracking starter kits and then have everything you'll need to carry on from there.

There are other makes obviously but these tend to be the best products for the money imo - basically no nonsense good products with decent dilution ratios so they last well too.

Also get yourself onto DetailingWorld, this place will help you with chosing products but also how best to use them.

HTH, Nige

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.