Tyres losing pressure

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I have had Hankook Ventus V12 EVO tyres on my FR TDi for about three years. Shortly after having them fitted I noticed that they were losing a bit of pressure (about 2 psi per week.) I went back to the fitter but they said that it was too small a leak for them to find in a water bath. They offered to refit them for £13 per tyre but I decided not to bother.

About three months ago I replaced two tyres with V12s again and hoped that they would be all right. However, they are still losing pressure. The first time I checked them, after about a month, two of them were down by about 7 psi and the others by 14-15 psi. I checked them again last night after a fortnight and the fronts were down by 2.5 psi and the backs (the new ones) by 6.5 psi.

Obviously something is not right but I have no idea what is wrong. Possibly the rims are corroded and air is escaping under the paint or I have faulty valves fitted. Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions as to what is causing it?

Last edited:

Dave 20vT

Mar 15, 2010
Stevenage
I had this problem a few years back, which turned out to be corroded alloy wheels and they had become porous. My problem was quite a bit worse where one wheel would go flat in the space of a week.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks Dave. I still have the original 16 inch pre-facelift wheels fitted and the paint is badly corroded on the outside. If the same thing has happened in the well it could be the answer. Did you have your wheels refurbished and if so did it cure it?

Dave 20vT

Mar 15, 2010
Stevenage
I got rid of the alloys and bought another set through ebay, then got a garage to refit the tyres. This was quite a bit cheaper than a refurb.

Aug 27, 2011
You could make a soapy water solution using Fairy liquid or whatever with water.

Spray it round the wheel. It'll bubble where the air is coming out. Could identify the source of the problem?

DSP

Aug 25, 2010
Hull
I had this problem with my passenger side front Tyre when i got 4 new ones about a month back. It turned out to be the bead seal, i took it back and they re-sealed it free of charge. he said its quite a common thing with new tyres. I've not had a problem since.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks for the replies. It sounds as if they could be incorrectly sealed. I saw them cleaning the rims with a wire brush when they fitted them but perhaps they weren't thorough enough. I think I will try my other local fitter next time. This lot adjusted the tracking when they fitted the tyres and the car failed its MOT the next day because they twisted the ball joints on the track rods when they re-tightened the nuts. Time for a change I think. :think:

dan666

Oct 13, 2009
Hartford, Cheshire
Had this problem paid twice to have tyre taken off wheel cleaned and put back on... last for a few weeks then it statred going dow again.... switched to a better condition wheel and been fine.... seems it was like other said corroded alloy wheel