Fitting a double din stereo without paying halfords the world

Welshman2670

Sep 9, 2012
Hi all. Ive just bought a alpine w520r double din stereo. Then went to halfords to see what i needed. They quoted me 95 quid for surround, cage and correct connections. Surely there cheaper way.

Aug 27, 2011
Hi all. Ive just bought a alpine w520r double din stereo. Then went to halfords to see what i needed. They quoted me 95 quid for surround, cage and correct connections. Surely there cheaper way.

Buy all the bits yourself mate and just fit it yourself. It is essentially plug and play :).

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
How old is the head unit?
The head unit if new will come with cage and facia, all connections are plug and play so no need for adaptors!
What year is your car the only adaptor you might need would be for steering wheel controls!

Jun 14, 2009
Is it a new headunit or used? Most headunits have a fuse on the back and sometimes it needs to be moved depending on the vehicle.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Sounds like the head unit requires permanant and ignition live.

As standard the Ibiza does not provide that - That is why you can switch on the radio for 1 hour when the key is out of the ignition.

The quick fix is to take the ignition live wire from the head unit down to the cigarette lighter live feed or across to the fuse box and pick up a live feed.

Last edited:

Welshman2670

Sep 9, 2012
Jesus that sounds like a proper mission mate! Any ideas where i can get this done. And if it is this why wad it ok with stock cd player

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Jesus that sounds like a proper mission mate! Any ideas where i can get this done. And if it is this why wad it ok with stock cd player

Stock cd player was designed to work with the system.

Aftermarket units have not adopted the system yet.

IIRC there is an adaptor lead available to help you do it.

lusty2zero

This head unit should go straight in and plug onto the standard ISO radio lead in the Ibiza as it said on this thread you may have to swap the red and yellow over as VW have the permanent feed the wrong way round to standard connections. I would see if you are getting a live feed from the yellow and the red wires as you may of popped the fuse taking the old set out. I have a pioneer AVH4400bt in my beeza and all I had to do was cut the lugs off the appeture where the pocket used to sit as it was catching the cage and swap the red and yellow over.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.