E46 M3 back to Cupra

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
Morning

After owning a FR TDI for 4 years I have bought an M3 but am looking to sell and change back to a Cupra. The M3 is awesome but the costs of running are slightly expensive to say the least. Once the M3 is sold I will be looking for a cupra but don't know whether to go for a K1 or standard.

Cheers

Virge

Last edited:

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
I would go for a cupra as i with the premium that K1's get you could make it one and still have change

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Quick remap and the Cupra will be as quick as the M3 too, and no worse on fuel.

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
Quick remap and the Cupra will be as quick as the M3 too, and no worse on fuel.

Appealing to say the least.

In hindsight I should have bought a Cupra to start with, but saying that the M3 is an awesome car in more ways than just the speed of it.

It sounds fantastic, handles like it is on rails and is so poised on the road plus the buidl quality of it is BMW.

Suppose it is a case now of seeing where I go from here and see what is around once the M3 has been sold.

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
i get 35mpg when running to my mothers which is about 40 miles away 55 to 60 mph most of the way. i get about 19mpg around city centre where i live.

phil_monk31

Feb 22, 2010
My LCR improved with my APR map. I live in MK and so its all stop and go accelerating to 70 and then back down. My average over 10K was 26.8MPG and that involved town and motorway driving

Probly a 50/50 split

Also on the few track days I have done in the LCR, I often fly past both your model of M3 and the newer ones. :D

If you’re looking at an LC or and LCR then so many people will argue about just having a remap etc.

I have had both, and the LCR has loads of little bits that you don’t notice straight away. I don’t regret paying the extra for the LCR but can see why people don’t.

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
Cheers for the comments

I am so undecided on what to do as I look at the M3 and just think wow! But then think the cupra's look awesome and my FR was the best car I have ever had, but with the low mileage I do the cupra should be even better!!!!

Last edited:

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
You can buy mine in the new year if you want lol. Stage 2+ and fitting new wheels too in a week or two hehehehe. ;) Plus I have the BTCC kit on mine.

pazman2k

Been pretty impressed with the "economy" of the cupra. My 120 mile round trip to Reading each Mondays gives me between on average around 32mpg when sitting at 80.

Around town, as long as I don't let my right foot get excited, usually get ~24.

Mar 12, 2012
Halifax
If you are coming from the M3 then maybe the LCR will give you the best of both worlds - better economy along with the 'nice' feeling you get from the interior.

As for mpg, i'm mainly driving mine from home to work through town (stop-start) then on a weekend she gets a run out on the local A roads and i'm averaging 25mpg.

Cupra R Matt

Moody grey 300!
Mar 4, 2012
Chesterfield
I had a wee play with an E46 330D cab last week whilst coming back off my holiday in Cornwall- he was on his own, I was 3 up and loaded with luggage too, and whilst he initially pulled away from me i started to peg the gap and pull him back in "slowly" once i got going! Not sure how true it is, but heard that the 330D beemers were getting on for being as quick as the M3's because of the torque they chuck out etc!

Was also sat at 80mph on several occasions last week too going here n there and was seeing 33mpg'ish iirc - again 3up!!

Whether the 330D being close to an M3 pace wise is true or not, i was pretty happy hanging with it/closing in on him with around 250kgs of peeps and luggage on board and bagging 30+mpg too!;)

Did wonder what the same match up would have been like if i'd been on my own/empty car and i'd got a stage1 remap to go with my zorst and induction!:D

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
I beasted a 535d msport on the way upto the REVO meet in convoy :p M3 is a cracking car though. The LC/LCR are cracking cars for the money

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members