RNS 315 Retrofit

VAGUE

Wanderer
Sep 30, 2012
Mexico City
Hi mates,

I've found the opportunity to get me a decently priced brand new RNS 315 head unit and as far as I know, everything should be "plug and play" while installing since my Leon came with an RCD 310 HU and has a white instrument cluster, however, there are two things I'm not so certain about:

First off, my car came with an independent Bluetooth unit which lets me make and receive calls but doesn't provide audio streaming (as stated in other post hehe ;)), would anyone know if there is something special to do to have the RNS 315's built-in bluetooth wired and working at 100%?

Finally, the CUP (Combined USB/AUX-in port) is certainly some feature I woudn't like to lose. Would anyone know whether there is a special way to have it connected and enabled or it works by simply plugging it in?

As always, thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
Hi, to my knowledge;

1) As far as I know, the bluetooth will not stream audio, as this is due to the unit under the driver seat, you need to swap to a later version of that box for bluetooth audio to stream.

I have an RNS 315, I retrofitted from a 310, and I cannot stream bluetooth audio - even though it does show up on the menu it just says 'no bluetooth audio available'

As for the CUP, plug and play works fine!

You will also need a DAB aerial if your 315 comes with DAB :)

VAGUE

Wanderer
Sep 30, 2012
Mexico City
Cheers mate,

I just had it installed today and it was just like you said, the CUP port was plug and play and didn't need anything special to work as usual :D

However, as for the unit's integrated Bluetooth capabilities, I was not able to make them work at all, I couldn't even pair my phone to it, it wouldn't recognize it. :(

I mean, my external BT unit worked perfectly with the HU, it seemed to integrate nicely and even showed on the screen everything my phone had to share, but if I disconnected it to enable the head unit's BT functions, my phone wouldn't even be recognized. I even tried with an iPhone but the result was the same. :blink:

Am I going to have to use a vag com to have it working? Or did I miss something extra I had to connect?

Everything else worked without issues, this is definitely one sweet HU, I wonder why would anyone change it? :confused: :p

andyccr

FR CR
Jul 19, 2002
Essex
Just wanted to say that I retrofitted and RNS310 the other day into my 2010MY car and the CUP adaptor still works fine along with steering controls.

I do know there are issues with different firmware versions in the RNS310 with regards to bluetooth, but from what I read I thought the RNS315 had built in bluetooth.
If I remember rightly if you have an external 'premium' module you had to use VAGCOM to change the settings to either activate or de-activate the internal module in coding group '77' if I remember rightly !

I think there was a load of info on my-gti.com (I think this was the web address), or try looking on the Mk5/6 Golf forums.

VAGUE

Wanderer
Sep 30, 2012
Mexico City
You're right mate, there's plenty of information on the forums you mentioned (I'd also add myturbodiesel.com), but I was hoping to find here some specific info for our Leons... I know it's basically the same and most of the info that's found there applies for our cars too, but I guess it'd be easier and more accurate to have tutorials made for and with our cars :rolleyes: (you can take the CUP port thing as an example, there's no info about that in those forums!)

Oh BTW, I don't know if this happened because the HU isn't programmed for my car (just had it installed yesterday! hehe) but all of a sudden the Audio EQ option ceased to work, the button to get to it got grayed-out and couldn't be selected, as well as the auto volume mute function when engaging reverse wouldn't work at all no matter what I did, then I turned it off and it remained like that for like 6 hours (parked at worksite) and everything worked back again as it should, so... What happened there, any ideas?

Anyway, it seems that it all comes to vagcom reconfiguration/reprogramming, I'm going to have to get me one asap.

It'd be real nice to achieve something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQsePkkJPqM

:funk:

And of course, enable the built-in BT to have it fully functional.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

Last edited:

andyccr

FR CR
Jul 19, 2002
Essex
The OPS system is fairly easy to retrofit! I keep in stock at work the 'META' brand of add on 4 way parking sensors that comes with a special can-bus box to enable the VW MFD/RNS units to have the OPS on both rear and rear/front kits. Or of course you can pay a small fortune and buy the genuine VW ones which can be a nightmare to retrofit (They have to be mounted from behind and the hole cutting has to be very precise)

The audio EQ maybe an option that has come from the VW cars like Scirocco / Golf / Passat where they have the Dynaudio audio upgrades (well we do here in Europe) and maybe has something to do with sound tuning for this system and not for Seat ?

As for the auto reverse muting, I think option 37 coding was for telling the car it has navigation fitted, so it might need this coding too !

Hope this might help some more

Andy

VAGUE

Wanderer
Sep 30, 2012
Mexico City
Cheers mate! In fact my Leon came with rear parking sensors installed from factory, so it should only take a vagcom to enable the OPS to show on my HU's display, am I right? :confused:

I'll check that option 37 to see what can be done about the navi thing, but let's hope that weird behaviour doesn't happen again!

BTW, is there any specific vagcom version I should be looking for?

andyccr

FR CR
Jul 19, 2002
Essex
I'm not sure any of the Leons ever came with the optical park system, so it must be retrofitted either using the Golf kit, or kits like the Meta versions

VAGUE

Wanderer
Sep 30, 2012
Mexico City
Correct me if I'm wrong but, for a SEAT, isn't the OPS = Acustic sensors + RNS HU? Does it require any extra hardware? :confused:

andyccr

FR CR
Jul 19, 2002
Essex
You cannot make the standard sensors into the OPS ones. Its a completely different set of sensors.

You would need to fit the OPS sensors
See this item number on UK Ebay : 270644904711

Or see our item number for the Meta ones : 380423452463

Or as I say I have some special sensors branded "Meta" that come with 4 sensors and a special canbus box to make the RNS headunit think its got original OPS system fitted

Hope this makes sense

andyccr

FR CR
Jul 19, 2002
Essex
You can have the optical sensors on any of the '10' units so RCD310/510, RNS310/510/315 I just wasn't aware that it was a factory option on Mk2 Leon's. but if you've just got the standard sensors you can't make them into thE optical sensors. The sensors are completely different

VAGUE

Wanderer
Sep 30, 2012
Mexico City
You can have the optical sensors on any of the '10' units so RCD310/510, RNS310/510/315 I just wasn't aware that it was a factory option on Mk2 Leon's. but if you've just got the standard sensors you can't make them into thE optical sensors. The sensors are completely different

It appears that the OPS system came with the Technology Plus package, so it's a yes, Leons did come from factory with it installed, mate :)

And the guy from the video I posted before confirmed what my mate Red ibiza said, if you have the rear sensors installed from factory you can enable your RNS to display them just like with the OPS... but this is something I'm yet to confirm by myself.

BTW, Red ibiza, could you share the VCDS coding needed to achieve this?

Cheers!

VAGUE

Wanderer
Sep 30, 2012
Mexico City
Well, yesterday I was finally able to make the HU's built-in BT work and could pair my phone to it without major issues. No VCDS programming was necessary, I only had to disconnect the BT unit that came from factory with my car and leave everything turned off for at least 5 hours straight (this is completely necessary or else the HU won't let you enable and configure its own BT!):

DSC_0064-1.jpg

Almost everything worked nicely with it and, needless to say, audio streaming is now fully available and functional! :funk:

However, there's still one small thing to fix. Now when I deal with the robo-talking lady, she won't listen to me at all :( ... It seems like the mic was connected directly to the BT unit so now I'm going to have to figure things out to have it connected to the RNS... it's no easy task from what I've found so far.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

VAGUE

Wanderer
Sep 30, 2012
Mexico City
About 460 USD. Some bargain, eh? :cartman: This one is the North american version though, it's got Sirius with NAR instead of DAB.

Cheers mate!

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.