LCR - how to change clutch pedal

BUBBA808

Dec 23, 2009
the job itself is easy, its just the spine twisting position for access which i found annoying....done this twice now once on a golf and seat, wish never to do again!!!

dvdt

Mar 28, 2010
Larkhall
Fixed it :)

Basically when that bit was welded back on it was further forward than the original.

So the white clip was floating more than its should back and forward inside its hole.

I basically shimmed that gap and that stopped the white clip traveling back and forth.

Reckon it may eventually need a pedal but for now it's back to normal!

And no that the most comfy position to be in lol

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
Just had the clutch problem happen to me this morning :cry:
went to put my foot on the clutch and it just snapped straight to the floor, called the RAC out and they said that the metal bracket had snapped and the pedal has to be replaced. So now I am without my car for a few days at least until i can get it into the garage. found the white clip on the floor and also some black plastic u shaped housing thingy.

What do I tell the people in the garage in order to weld the pedal? or will they have to replace the whole thing? trying to work out how much its going to set me back if they have to replace the pedal (parts/labour etc) or what it will cost to fix.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2009
Dismantle yourself if you can, take old bits with you when ordering that way you know you hopefully get the correct parts first time round.

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
The problem there is I am a total mechanical noob and have no tools etc. + would probably break something.. I could definitaly see that the metal braket had broken on the pedal and the clip that should be attached to the master cylinder arm was on the floor, so im pretty sure thats the problem, but I dont know if i should be asking the garage to weld it or replace the pedal. Was asking to see if anyone knew how much in labour/parts would be involved to fix.

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The garage will replace the pedal, it's quicker for them and doesn't involve them in any issues about making parts non-standard.

A good garage will quote you for removing the pedal, welding it up and replacing with a new clip, but it is almost certain to cost more than a pedal replacement, as it will take more of their time.

The plastic clip is there to center the master cylinder pushrod in the little box on the pedal

I don't know if new pedals have been modified to fix this failure mode.

Once the pedal has been fixed, keep an eye on hydraulic fluid level. Sometimes that master cylinder seals can be damaged by the sudden release of the master cylinder piston, which gets driven to the end of the cylinder, where it wouldn't normally go. The damaged seal leaks hydraulic fluid out of the end, but it disappears straight under the carpet and isn't immediately obvious inside the car. The only cure is master cylinder replacement, as the seals can't be got separately.

If you can see hydraulic fluid leaking from the cylinder now, then best to get it replaced at the same time as the pedal.

This happened to me in my old Ibiza.

Last edited:

dvdt

Mar 28, 2010
Larkhall
I was only 30 to get it welded but the guy done it in place hence the inaccurate part and me having to shim it.

Not ideal but I really needed the car fixed there and then.

As said though it's all good now.

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
clutch pedal - 1J2721319C (£17.41 +VAT)
stop - 1J2721332A (£1.54 +VAT)
mounting - 1H0721357 (56p +VAT)

Prices may be a little off, but are these the parts needed? took this off the guide here: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/18012/1028565.aspx#1028565

my friend thinks he can fit a new pedal as a similar thing happend on his MK4 GTI. does anyone know the part numebr for the proper tool that releases the 'over centre' spring? (i like my front teeth)

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise