1.4 Cupra R Project

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters

Sexy4door

Hey Guys, I'm new here and just need a little help and advice on this journey of mine. Obviously this is to save money in the long run, as this will be my first car.

I would appreciate feedback on anything I should and shouldn't do before I begin and throughout the project.

So I'm on the lookout for a 1.4 Seat Leon MK1 (maybe a 2005). I would like it to have low milage. I've just seen one for £2,790 with 56,000 miles on the clock, is that a good price?

Will the MK1 Cupra R parts fit this model? I will be starting on the exterior (front and rear bumpers, side skirts, original 18" alloys, possibly a new boot?

I will post pictures of the progress when new additions are made to the car.

If theres anything I should know then please comment and let me know.

Thanks guys! :)

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Yes all parts fit but you will spend a fortune doing it! Boot is the same you just need the spoiler! If I were you I'd just do a few choice bits to the car till you can afford to insure a Cupra!
Ak

Sexy4door

Thanks for the reply, I guess the main things I will be doing is the exterior to make it look exactly like the Cupra R from the outside. What other parts would I need to achieve this?

I mentioned the boot because of the "L E O N" in the middle. I don't really want to fill and respray. unless its cheaper that way.

Is £2,790 worth it for a 2005 1.4 16V S 56,000 miles?

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
All you need to do to get the leon in the middle is buy an L, E, O and N (lol) and stick them on, theres a post on here somewhere about the spacings etc.

I'll take it the reason your wanting the 1.4 is for insurance? Check out the insurance for an LCR or LC as they are pretty cheap to buy. My LC was my first car insured in my own name, when I was looking for a car I didnt even bother looking at Cupras, S3s, GTis etc because I assumed the insurance would be insane. I tried it on a search for a laugh and was pleasently surprised its still way too much, but not much more than it would have been for a smaller engine.

LCR body parts and that are pretty sought after and thus pricey so you need to do your sums carefully I would say.

Don't really know what 1.4s are worth tbh but you can get LCs and LCRs in decent nick with decent miles for around that though (maybe a bit more for an LCR). My 03 LC 180 was £3k and 57k miles. Although low mileage is never a bad thing its not the be all and end all, a well maintained and looked after 100k car will be better than a neglected one with 50k.

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I take it you want a 1.4 due to your age? If that's the case do the R body kit salm the bitch on the ground with some big rims low rider style. Nice sound system with some nice young honeys n the back. Sorry just had a flash back.

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I wouldn't bother. Buy the 1.4 keep it clean and well maintained, when you can afford the insurance and running costs of a Cupra R buy one and enjoy it. No point building a replica because it'll never be an R, and you'll know its not. Just wait untill you can actually own one.

Obviously just my opinion.

Sexy4door

I wouldn't bother. Buy the 1.4 keep it clean and well maintained, when you can afford the insurance and running costs of a Cupra R buy one and enjoy it. No point building a replica because it'll never be an R, and you'll know its not. Just wait untill you can actually own one.

Obviously just my opinion.

To be honest, it's all about saving money. In the long run it will actually be saving me money. I can afford an R but I just don't need a big engine. I won't be racing anyone :) The car is sexy!

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
To be honest, it's all about saving money. In the long run it will actually be saving me money. I can afford an R but I just don't need a big engine. I won't be racing anyone :) The car is sexy!

It'll start with the bumpers & side skirts roughly 400-500,then if not the right colour will have to be sprayed around 250,by this time car is looking good but believe me the list goes on

Wheels
Lowering
Then when you started reading on here there will be loads more you will want to do

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
It's a dangerous game, cos no amount of fuel (saved on a 1.4) or even insurance in the long run will equate to £600 on bumpers here (not forgetting essentials like exhaust to match)...£400 on brakes there...new wheels, seats, interior trim etc etc

Then you start with mods... I'm pretty sure the 1.4 didn't have climate as standard...

It'll be a bottomless money pit :(

If you can find one ready-done, go for it, but when the mods cost more than the car it's just silly

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
If you do it keep your original bumpers and when you sell the car swap them back and sell the R bumpers. What ever you do I hope you enjoy you car and have some fun!

danbaggers

Dan Baggers
Aug 12, 2012
i understand where you are coming from & i would like to do the same to my 1.4 leon but someone pointed out to me that aswell as buying the parts your insurance will go up aswell and i take it you're a young driver like myself they will bend you over backwards as soon as you find out you're modifying your car!

Sexy4door

Do it man, if you want too or think its cool just do who cares about opinions of randoms on the internetz.

My little brother has a 1.4 with a full cupra bodykit/ spoiler/ interior/ front and rear brakes and a cupra r exhaust.

Do you have any pictures of his car?

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
It'll start with the bumpers & side skirts roughly 400-500,then if not the right colour will have to be sprayed around 250,by this time car is looking good but believe me the list goes on

Wheels
Lowering
Then when you started reading on here there will be loads more you will want to do

Agreed, modding is a very addictive thing!!! It won't stop at just the above!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.