mk3 ibiza 4x4 gt3071 track build engine pics inside

Jan 21, 2012
i've had my haldex car for nearly 10 years and I've also got a proper full time mechanical AWD car, haldex is very good but its not the same, all i'm getting at really is that fitting a haldex system won't make your car act an evo etc and I wouldn't want you getting your hopes up.

its a funny old thing to drive the haldex system, in certain implimentations the haldex system makes the back end kick out well and others it seems to cause chronic understeer that only lifting off will stop.

don't get me wrong, i love it and prefer it over FWD anyday(me and my brother have also owned a mk4 golf and currently a mk1 leon between us, both FWD 1.8T's).

i've had my haldex car for nearly 10 years and I've also got a proper full time mechanical AWD car, haldex is very good but its not the same, all i'm getting at really is that fitting a haldex system won't make your car act an evo etc and I wouldn't want you getting your hopes up.

i actually think it could be better than an evo with it being lighweight and a hothatch that was only ever suppose to be fwd in fact i think this car will be amazing on the twists :).

JordanMk3

WackyColouredWheelsFTW
Jan 18, 2010
Little Hulton, Manchester
i actually think it could be better than an evo with it being lighweight and a hothatch that was only ever suppose to be fwd in fact i think this car will be amazing on the twists :).

I think he's comparing the 4wd system, not so much the car in general.. The car will be an animal regardless of where the power comes from..

Im just jealous!

Jan 21, 2012
exactly, it'll be very quick but handling wise it will never match something like an evo sadly due to the 4WD system

4wdibiza

4wd all the way
Oct 20, 2011
cardiff
To be honest if I wanted it to handle like an evo I would of gone out and bought one lol, as said few posts ago the car will be built for straight linen and also a bit of fun, the car will mean more to me as its the first in the uk , thanks ffor advice bengie,

Cheers for comments guys , more updates soon guys

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Don't worry mate it'll be an animal, the car will be awesome - and as for the Haldex - just to clear some things up - by not using the OEM or "blue" performance controller and using the SQS unit the car will be permanent 4wd......
I know the first launch will require a slight difference in speed between the propshaft and rear diff - this is just how the system works (the slippage pumps oil to the haldex clutch which make it lock - the OEM haldex controller can then change the amount of force on the clutch plates via a stepper motor controlled hydraulic valve, once the system no longer requires 4wd the hydraulic system is closed and the system goes back to being 2wd and waiting for slip to re-engage.

So once the haldex clutch plates are locked the first time, they will stay locked due to the SQS system running the oil pump constantly which applies pressure to the haldex clutch pack and the fact the controller is not there to turn off the hydraulic regulator.
The SQS system can be supplied with a valve installed to switch between 2-4wd for if you use the hand brake.

I was actually thinking about stripping the haldex clutch down on mine and having a part made to replace the clutch pack with a solid piece of steel, then the whole system could be binned and it would be constant 50/50 drive. Either that or remove the input / output shaft to the haldex clutch and just having a 1 piece shaft made to drive the rear shaft from the propshaft.

If i ever get round to it i'll keep you in mind to have a couple made.

Last edited:

4wdibiza

4wd all the way
Oct 20, 2011
cardiff
Much love for this build Dave good luck with it all.
Keep up the good work!!

Thanks mate , I'm geting to love this car even more now, as I've just been to see it trail fit engine ect and I'm more happier now. Turns up at fabricators and the car was sat on all 4 wheels what a suprise considering the car has been sat on her side for 9months or so .

I'm well chuffed with how the car looks doesn't look out of place one bit as I was worrying about how it sits on the floor so happy days .

Graham I'm defo intresred mate can you push for one ; that would be awesome , fair play youv been a great help ,

Carnt wait now .............

4wdibiza

4wd all the way
Oct 20, 2011
cardiff
Right as some of you might no I was guna be running a flocked dash , but now I've changed my mind and going ally custom dash, so flocked one will be up for grabs on ebay and other forums .

4wdibiza

4wd all the way
Oct 20, 2011
cardiff
Just had full check of engine checking hoses tightening ect ect, then it come to my suprise that the oil feed pipe that I was given has a kink init wich could of been the morel of the turbo not being right, so just orded new oil feed pipe and all fittings, so waiting on that now, few more things to order then job done, last thing on car now to make is gearbox mount wich is nearly done.

What would most of you use for sealing underneath of car, waxoil or underseal?

4wdibiza

4wd all the way
Oct 20, 2011
cardiff
Underseal it ois then , I got the proper gun todo so. Yeah the dash will be painted or flocked not sure yet depending on colour sceme , as you said the reflection off dash is dangerous .

Elliot how far have you gone with yours?

4wdibiza

4wd all the way
Oct 20, 2011
cardiff
Right I wanna set rear and front camber for track use , as anyone used eibach camber bolts before? I've seen them advertised but not noing if anyone has used these before , any help will be awesome . Many thank

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
No need for camber bolts, just use the ones in the car - they have enough movement to allow the adjustments you need

4wdibiza

4wd all the way
Oct 20, 2011
cardiff
Thanks for that mork, I no you can set camber on front by undoing front hubs bolts and do ajustments that way, but whaty about rears , I've seen adjusment bolts advertised and apperntly known in the slammed dub seen too with all these stupidly camberd cars lol, any veiws are welcome,

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
change the front hubs if you want decent geometry in an ibiza + eccentric top mount
wide tracks the car also... like badgerwagen