t0m's LCR AmD Stage 2 - Turini's, Wavetrac LSD, Recaro's..

Fry over black or high power silver wheel refurb?

• Fry over black wheel colour

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • High power silver wheel colour

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Diff will change everything! This will be one special car mate!

Keep it - Big Brakes and Big Turbo it!!!!

Haha, cheers mate! :D

I won't be going big turbo with this car but I may get bigger brakes one day, who knows.. ;)

Nope, no shortshifter. I quite like the feel of the gearbox as it is. It was starting to feel a little stiffer and slightly notchy when cold and I had to remove the battery to fit the Forge MAP sensor tube so did the gear linkage reset while I was at it.

It does feel a bit better than it did but mainly the "locations" of each gear feel a little more natural - like the line you push or pull the stick in to change just feels better. Tough one to describe, took a little getting used to but it just feels nicer.

Ahh coolio. I get what you mean mate. Mine is a bit notchy going into 1st from neutral, not sure if the short shifter just needs adjusting or whatever. It'll all be sorted soon anyway! Probably going to sell the gearbox that's on the car now once it's off and checked over.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Why not go big turbo?

I'd rather buy something that uses the power better at big power like an Evo.

300 in these cars is fine and with a diff it's gona be fun on track. It needs no more, plus it costs loads and I would rather get a mortgage..

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
My tip is be careful when hacking it as sometimes can catch you off guard when one wheels gets grip over the wheel with no grip.

Yeah that's what my mate said about it and I've spoken to Maz on a couple of occasions about the way his diff behaved catching him out on a couple of roundabouts at 'speed' ;)

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I love the Quaife, I can't fault it! When it was first fitted it took me a while to get used to it. To begin with I didn't realise how much more grip there's was. Slowly I leaned on it more and more and got used to what it feels like.
Most of the time you wouldn't know it's fitted you just have more grip. Some times like pulling out of a tight junction or on a fast bend. It will lock and pull you in the direction the wheels are turned but it's not violent and you learn in what situation it will happen.
With my near standard power out put I no longer have wheel spin in the dry or understeer when excellerating off a round about. In the wet the wheels spin briefly the diff does it's thing finds grip and you're off. The combination of the diff and 28 mm rear ARB my car feels similar to my old classic Subaru only faster.
Occasional if you're over ambitious with you entry speed into a corner. You'll start to understeer keep your foot in and it grips! It takes time to get used to and you have to learn to trust it. It'll be one of your favourite mods and will make the most of the power you have. I'll stop rambaling know:D

Aug 24, 2007
Cheers mate :)

How do you rate the Quaife? What were your thoughts when it went on for before and after driving characteristics?

The difference with my ATB was like night and day.
No more 4 wheel drifts on fast corners or roundabouts, the car just digs in when I boot it.
You have to be careful where the steering wheel is pointing when pulling away at speed as torque steer can catch you out big time.

Apparently a diff makes no difference in a straight line, but my 0-60 times suggest otherwise.

Simply the best mod you can fit.
It should be a standard feature on any fwd car with more than 200bhp [B)]

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
The difference with my ATB was like night and day.
No more 4 wheel drifts on fast corners or roundabouts, the car just digs in when I boot it.
You have to be careful where the steering wheel is pointing when pulling away at speed as torque steer can catch you out big time.

Apparently a diff makes no difference in a straight line, but my 0-60 times suggest otherwise.

Simply the best mod you can fit.
It should be a standard feature on any fwd car with more than 200bhp [B)]

I agree my car feels alot more stable when carrying out fast over takes as well. You 1/4 mile times are impressive to Mylo!

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Cheers for the feedback gents :)

Certainly expecting those tendencies with the diff during high speed cornering. Looking forward to seeing what it's like in all conditions though. From what 99% of people say, you don't even notice it's there during normal, regular town driving scenario's.

Mylo, it must have helped your pod times for sure, no question about that. I will probably agree once mine's on, that it should be standard on FWD cars over 200bhp. Can't wait to get it and get it fitted now.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Rods & Manifold.

This is a dangerous mood to be in - looking at more and more mods for my car at the moment! :wtf: (spending enough lately)..

BUT, I am already thinking about the next wave of upgrades for the car and have been getting more and more drawn to doing the rods and more and more people tell me all the time to get them done for peace of mind. I'm looking at keeping the car longer term with how it's gone so it would get this 'rod talk' off my back, lol.

Question is, which one's? Currently thinking of IE's forged 144/20's (rifle drilled), although James L is trying to talk me into spending more and getting the 'Tuscan' version which look like they could survive anything thrown at them. See here:
http://www.intengineering.com/connecting-rods?engine=114

There is also the THS rods to consider... what are people's thoughts on these?

And the INA one's. But I've been put off by the months and months people have waited for these to turn up. I want these on BEFORE I hit the track again next year ideally.

What other bits should you replace when doing the rods? Rod bearings are one thing I know of which I will get with the order also.

I think at some point I will also be ordering a Relentless V3 manifold too. I've seen one in person now and get that any past issues where the older versions cracked was due to the user not having a turbo support bracket in place. So the mani takes that weight plus the downpipe pulling on it I would think? I spoke to someone recently about this who has bought one and is confident there will be no issues with the bracket installed. I'd like to see what it'll do for me power wise as there isn't much more you can do on a stock K04.

One more thing, how much are people paying to get rods and other bits in one package in from the US from past experience?

That's the early plans for 2013 then, it would seem... :rolleyes: :whistle:

Last edited:

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I know what you mean about waiting around for months. If I'd of paid my money and been messed about like that I'd be fuming! I think I'm going to buy bits here and there rather than buying a kit. It'll be more expensive but at least you'll end up with exactly what you want. I found this thread over on ASN which you may find interesting
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/171099-forged-rod-questions.html
The Tuscan rods do look sexy but I'd like to know a bit more about them.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I know what you mean about waiting around for months. If I'd of paid my money and been messed about like that I'd be fuming! I think I'm going to buy bits here and there rather than buying a kit. It'll be more expensive but at least you'll end up with exactly what you want. I found this thread over on ASN which you may find interesting
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/171099-forged-rod-questions.html
The Tuscan rods do look sexy but I'd like to know a bit more about them.

Exactly mate. Rather do bit by bit tbh and buy the best bits possible. Judging by what I've been like with other mods, I reckon I'll end up with a set of Tuscan rods, rifle drilled. Do the rod bearings and piston rings.

Cheers for the link to the thread, very helpful :)

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Also want to look at replacing the gash exhaust valves for some single piece inconel ones
Then just your usual replacement OE parts on top

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Your shipping list should read

Rods
Big end bearings
Exhaust valves (+ stem seals etc if u need)
Head gasket
Cambelt + tensioners
Head bolts
Exhaust mani nuts
Sump sealant
Cam gasket
Piston rings??

Can't think of anything else

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
This is a dangerous mood to be in - looking at more and more mods for my car at the moment! :wtf: (spending enough lately)..

BUT, I am already thinking about the next wave of upgrades for the car and have been getting more and more drawn to doing the rods and more and more people tell me all the time to get them done for peace of mind. I'm looking at keeping the car longer term with how it's gone so it would get this 'rod talk' off my back, lol.

Question is, which one's? Currently thinking of IE's forged 144/20's (rifle drilled), although James L is trying to talk me into spending more and getting the 'Tuscan' version which look like they could survive anything thrown at them. See here:
http://www.intengineering.com/connecting-rods?engine=114

There is also the THS rods to consider... what are people's thoughts on these?

And the INA one's. But I've been put off by the months and months people have waited for these to turn up. I want these on BEFORE I hit the track again next year ideally.

What other bits should you replace when doing the rods? Rod bearings are one thing I know of which I will get with the order also.

I think at some point I will also be ordering a Relentless V3 manifold too. I've seen one in person now and get that any past issues where the older versions cracked was due to the user not having a turbo support bracket in place. So the mani takes that weight plus the downpipe pulling on it I would think? I spoke to someone recently about this who has bought one and is confident there will be no issues with the bracket installed. I'd like to see what it'll do for me power wise as there isn't much more you can do on a stock K04.

One more thing, how much are people paying to get rods and other bits in one package in from the US from past experience?

That's the early plans for 2013 then, it would seem... :rolleyes: :whistle:
Personally Tom and this is my honest opinion, you will be flushing money away.

Probably not what people want to hear bit you have to bear in mind that your spending more and more to make car reliable with the power etc..etc..however one crash and the car will be written off. God forbid of course but you really got to think, do you really need to spend another 2k on the car to make it quicker or more reliable?

I am all for modding and enjoying car on track and on road. However if you want more performance then buy another car thats worth more and spend money on that if need be.

Last edited:

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Going on the track you have to be prepared to write it off
If you are going to bin it anywhere and badly it will be on the track, even trashed in its current form you'll lose out big time money wise
Depends on how long you plan to keep it though

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
How would he feel tracking it and then blowing a hole in the block tho?

That's as good as writing it off?

Going on the track you have to be prepared to write it off
If you are going to bin it anywhere and badly it will be on the track, even trashed in its current form you'll lose out big time money wise
Depends on how long you plan to keep it though
All valid questions though right guys?

I personally think better of running the car as is, maintaining it and if the need for more power comes changing completely.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members